• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Champions League 2018/2019 - New & Improved: Arsenal AND Chelsea Free (NWT)

Congratulations Peter Crouch and young Divock!

Rashford was the club's young player of the year when he turned 18, and scored 5 goals in 11 appearances for the senior club in 15-16 on a ridiculous conversion rate. Let's see if Greenwood does that next year in his year 18 season. Absurd returns as a youth are often signs of developing before your peers.

FWIW Greenwood is 4th in the U18 league in scoring with 13 goals and 4 assists. Everton have a kid Ellis Simms with 20 goals and 1 assist leading the u18s.

Young player development is so fascinating to me. The # of kids who pan out is so ridiculously low and the strongest correlation with success is playing time. You've got to have a system and management and front office willing to get kids into the right loan situations if first team minutes aren't available or get them time with the senior squad.

Not a bad goal for Mason yesterday.

Not a bad goal for Mason yesterday.

What was concerning to me about that game was the atrocious finishing other than the one goal. Rash missed three point blank opportunities. One would have been offside, and none were really gimmies, but all three were chances that he needs to do better with if United have any shot of competing. Dalot's miss towards the end on the wide open goal with no keeper in sight was just embarrassing.

I'm still not sure what a Fred does exactly, but what he was doing yesterday wasn't atrocious.

Also, Astana is not good.

Yeah, that wasn't pretty. I'm as pissed as anyone that Spurs basically capitulated near the end and am very concerned about the state of the squad but this match was really unlucky. Bayern's finishing was absolutely ridiculous. The xG maps (which, of course, don't matter) were a lot closer. If Spurs score one more of their big early chances and/or Bayern don't score some of their small chances, it's a different match. But that's football.

IF my team scored more and the other team scored less the result MAY have been different. Football, bloody hell.

Yeah, that wasn't pretty. I'm as pissed as anyone that Spurs basically capitulated near the end and am very concerned about the state of the squad

Do you as a Spurs fan feel like Poch has given up a bit? Kind of going through the motions?

Quite a few of the beat writers claiming Keita will be in the starting XI today. Seems to be an interesting move, but it does add an interesting layer to the match plot,

IF my team scored more and the other team scored less the result MAY have been different. Football, bloody hell.

Funny how removing adjectives kills the meaning of the sentence. Spurs didn't convert some nice chances and then Munich converted a lot of difficult chances.

Tottenham played really well for much of the first half, which was nice to see. When your opponent scores 7 on roughly 2 expected, you just have to tip your cap and move on. It's the longer trends that concern me more than this one match.

Do you as a Spurs fan feel like Poch has given up a bit? Kind of going through the motions?

Nah, I just think it's an unsettled squad in need of shipping out a few players. Hopefully we can continue to refresh the team in January/summer and start again.

Yesterday's match was an aberration but it's going to kick off a storm of takes, obviously.

Funny how removing adjectives kills the meaning of the sentence. Spurs didn't convert some nice chances and then Munich converted a lot of difficult chances.

Tottenham played really well for much of the first half, which was nice to see. When your opponent scores 7 on roughly 2 expected, you just have to tip your cap and move on. It's the longer trends that concern me more than this one match.

You are literally still saying the same thing that I mocked you for, ipity.

"IF my team scored more and the other team scored less the result MAY have been different."
"Spurs didn't convert some nice chances and then Munich converted a lot of difficult chances."

Yes. That is how sports work.

And don't get me started on xG. What a useless metric.

My point is that my concerns aren't drawn from losing 7-2 in one game. Yesterday's match could have easily ended 3-2, which people would find reasonable since BM is an excellent team. I never said Spurs should have won, only that the narrative is artificially blown out of proportion by the unlikely scoreline. I'd be more concerned if we'd lost 3-2 but Munich had left a ton of goals on the table.

agree that yesterday's scoreline wasn't an accurate reflection of the total play. agree that Spurs still gave up and conceded some late goals that should be extremely concerning. agree that the overall play this season should be more of a concern than yesterday's game. disagree that xG is useless; it may only have limited importance but should still be considered.

real madrid are last in their group. liverpool needs a win today

Sorry, I should clarify, xG in ONE PARTICULAR match is useless.

xG over the course of a season does provide some value on understanding the quality of chances a team is creating/allowing.

Back