Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
Results 161 to 177 of 177

Thread: Fire Sawvel -- Tonight

  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnydeac View Post
    Dont get me wrong, Im not saying they should be pitching shut outs or are 2006 reincarnated. Im just saying that from a physical standpoint they shouldnt be anywhere near this bad.
    Agree. It's embarrassingly bad. Hard to believe it's a power five defense out there. Just no clue at any level it seems

  2. #162
    They dont have the pass rush or coverage ability to take away the pass, but they arent terrible against the run. Maybe going forward they should just sell out to stop the run and hope the other team makes a mistake passing or coverage improves.

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by crawac7 View Post
    Greer had two good plays today before getting hurt. Caused the fumble with a great read/hit. Also had a big hit on a wide open TE
    Greer got hurt? Good grief, we can't catch a break back there. I'll say it again, due to injuries and attrition, we are playing several guys that really should be third string at this point in their career. I'm certainly not saying that is the entire reason the defense is so bad, but it's definitely one of the reasons.

  4. #164
    Secondary and linebackers are not good. Dawson, Jaboree and Bates greatly missed.

  5. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubble Boy View Post
    Greer got hurt? Good grief, we can't catch a break back there. I'll say it again, due to injuries and attrition, we are playing several guys that really should be third string at this point in their career. I'm certainly not saying that is the entire reason the defense is so bad, but it's definitely one of the reasons.
    just like all the young players we are starting? there is no talent on D, and the coaching is even worse. stop trying to sugarcoat this. clawson said it himself, this has been a problem since dc has been here...not sure why hes still here

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubble Boy View Post
    Greer got hurt? Good grief, we can't catch a break back there. I'll say it again, due to injuries and attrition, we are playing several guys that really should be third string at this point in their career. I'm certainly not saying that is the entire reason the defense is so bad, but it's definitely one of the reasons.
    Yes, per Les. Undisclosed injury

  7. #167
    Quote Originally Posted by PTownDeac View Post
    Secondary and linebackers are not good. Dawson, Jaboree and Bates greatly missed.
    We miss Duke and Wendell Dunn just as much. Feels like we've gotten like 2 sacks all season.

  8. #168
    I think its scheme more than players. You think wed be so bad if Elko were still around?

  9. #169
    Quote Originally Posted by Johndeac View Post
    I think its scheme more than players. You think wed be so bad if Elko were still around?
    They run very similar schemes though don't they? I don't know what it is. It seems like we have two fewer players on the field than other defenses. Just so much open space from the time the ball is snapped to the time the qb throws the ball 5-7 seconds later

  10. #170
    Quote Originally Posted by crawac7 View Post
    They run very similar schemes though don't they? I don't know what it is. It seems like we have two fewer players on the field than other defenses. Just so much open space from the time the ball is snapped to the time the qb throws the ball 5-7 seconds later
    Similar in that it is a 4-2(3)-5(4) with a river-type player. The responsibilities of the rover are different. There are different stunt packages and keys.

  11. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by Johndeac View Post
    I think its scheme more than players. You think wed be so bad if Elko were still around?
    No. Elko seemed good at coming up with a plan to take something away from an offense to make them one dimensional and getting the players to understand the plan.

    Right now there doesnt seem to be a plan and the players seem confused and hesitant.

  12. #172
    Just got back to Raleigh. Completely uninspired football, coupled with terrible execution. The defense has the same issues and the offensive line was really bad in pass protection. But its one thing to give it your all and lose and another to do whatever it was they did today. The long punt return we gave up at a key time was atrocious. Guys just standing around, not running hard, and that was a microcosm of the game.

    Also think Wade is in a really shitty spot. He is a horrible safety and doesnt seem to want to hit people. I guess hes getting more playing time this way but hes completely lost.

  13. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by wakelaw13 View Post
    Just got back to Raleigh. Completely uninspired football, coupled with terrible execution. The defense has the same issues and the offensive line was really bad in pass protection. But its one thing to give it your all and lose and another to do whatever it was they did today. The long punt return we gave up at a key time was atrocious. Guys just standing around, not running hard, and that was a microcosm of the game.

    Also think Wade is in a really shitty spot. He is a horrible safety and doesnt seem to want to hit people. I guess hes getting more playing time this way but hes completely lost.
    Yeah Wade sucks, Taylor sucks, every person they put in the Rover position sucks, and the entire defensive game plan every game sucks. Overall this entire defense inspires me to not watch the rest of this season. I can predict how it will go already. We beat a lesser Rice team, and then every game going forward the D gives up at least 5 touchdowns to ACC teams and we lose.

  14. #174
    Elkos defenses could also get off the field on third downs. This guys can not.

  15. #175
    Lots of good points in this thread. Sawvel and the defensive coaches deserve some of the blame and the players deserve some of the blame. The entire defense is horrible in my opinion. The thing that I took away as I left the game is I saw no improvement from the BC game. I am also very concerned that Clawson said after the BC game that he needed to get more involved to get the defense to improve. What good did that do? None, as far as I'm concerned. So Dave deserves some blame too.

  16. #176
    Agree, if DC worked with the defense it did no good. They look lost out there. Not just a case of bad eye discipline

  17. #177
    I thought the defensive backfield played better than against BC. However, our DL and linebackers are a problem. ND looked like they were 4" taller and 30-50 lbs larger per man up front OL vs our DL. Beyond that we cannot contain the edges and we don't seem to wrap up tackles. We looked out of position a lot. The uptempo offense simply isn't good enough to prevent our defense from having to be on the field far too much.

    One reason that I think that Hartman should be redshirted is that our defense is simply not good enough to win this season.

    Of course, apart from some major improvement, it won't be good enough next season either.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •