• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sawvel -- **Dismissed**

The two weeks before playing WF, Notre Dame scored 24 against Ball State and 22 against Vandy. Granted the Irish played a different QB against WF, but even saying that Book is a TD better than Wimbush (which is a ton). There is no way that the defensive talent on Ball State and Vandy is 25+ points better than WF. 56 points (and ND could've scored more as they played scrubs for their last two possessions) is the most ever point by a Brian Kelly team on the road. ND's 8 TDs against WF isn't just a talent disparity issue.

As another example, BC score 41 (6 TDs) at WF last week; this week, BC scored 13 at Purdue. Purdue's defensive talent is not 28 points better than WF. Numbers tell the story: WF's defense is under-performing its talent (and that doesn't mean that WF has a lot of defensive talent; just that it's not as bad as it has played -- and been coached -- the last two weeks).

Last edited:
Couple of stats from yesterday show how bad the defense is. ND was 4 of 9 on 3rd down. Not only is that percentage too high, the fact the we only made them attempt 9 3rd down conversions while racking up almost 600 yards and 56 points is awful. Our defense didn’t even get them to 3rd down much to try to get them off the field. Also, they had one more first down than us, despite out gaining us by almost 200 yards and scoring 56 points. So, even though we weren’t giving up the long ball as in prior games, we still were giving up big plays.

I think the players are better than the scheme and the coaching. Falls on Sawvel and i can't imagine the Ivy league DB coach is not in over his head. If it plays out like this, be interesting to see what Clawson is willing to do to fix something he already has said is broke. Notre Dame was no physically better than us and we should have been competitive or better. Ruggerio for his part, has to be the worst red zone since El Lobo. We go into a shell at the 20 and give ourselves no chance. His certainly does not trust his players. Way too hot Saturday sitting in those stands to watch another hot mess on the field.

I don't disagree with EVERYTHING in your post. However, you didn't watch the game if you didn't see that ND was clearly the stronger, faster and more talented team. Does that excuse an absolutely shitty defensive scheme and coaching? Absolutely not! Could we have won? Doubtful. We were BLOWN off the line on both sides of the ball.

We have several coaching deficiencies but there is clearly a talent disparity as well.

I don't disagree with EVERYTHING in your post. However, you didn't watch the game if you didn't see that ND was clearly the stronger, faster and more talented team. Does that excuse an absolutely shitty defensive scheme and coaching? Absolutely not! Could we have won? Doubtful. We were BLOWN off the line on both sides of the ball.

We have several coaching deficiencies but there is clearly a talent disparity as well.

I thought we could play with them- they were not hugely more physical. talented or fast. Not enough to embarrass us the way we were. We just saw a different game. Fair enough. ND did not frighten me but that is just me.

Good thing we got rid of that other defensive coach with an Ivy League background, Mike Elko (he played at Penn in the 90s). :rolleyes:

Mike Elko, like Clawson, took an intermediate stop at Bowling Green. Coached against some pretty good G5 schools and some P5 schools before arriving at Wake.

Clawson isn’t messing around. Good for him for being decisive.

It was the right decision. Applause to Wake and Clawson doing what it takes to keep us progressing as a football program.

Wow. As bad as the defense has played, I’m surprised. ND did this two years ago, but mid-season coordinator firings are rare. Wonder if this goes deeper than a craptastic defense.

Props to DC. I really did not think he would do something until the end of the season. But he must have been tired of excuses and give Sawvel and ultimatum last week to show improvement or he would be gone and certainly there was no improvement. DC means business. Too bad Wellman is not as decisive

The anti-Grobe

I would be shocked if he doesn't completely clean house on the defensive side of the ball after this season. Given Dave's work ethic, I suspect he's probably already creating a list of candidates.

Back