• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

18 million guaranteed...

This was from a live chat with Seth Davis today:

Seth Davis
3h ago
@Rob B. I'm assuming you guys saw the story on Wake by CL Brown this week. There's gonna be a lot of focus on Manning this year, but the guy lost two players who declared for the NBA draft, were NOT invited to the combine, and still left. That is unusual. The real focus needs to be on the AD Ron Wellman. Nice guy, but also the guy who fired Dino Gaudio for not meeting the program standards after he went to the NCAA tourney. He has never answered for that decision, and the program has never recovered.

Apologize for asking what is probably a basic question, but this is just a comment from a fan, right? Or was this Seth's response?

will the danny manning show be available online anywhere for anyone out of town trying to tune in?

Apologize for asking what is probably a basic question, but this is just a comment from a fan, right? Or was this Seth's response?

Judging by the format, I'm pretty sure it's a statement from Davis in response to someone's question.

Guys this is not even remotely true. Wellman is a jerk and a fool but not a total blithering idiot. Manning would have to make 3 mil per year and that is certainly NOT the case, nor has it ever been, to pay a coach that amount at Wake. If this were true we would have had a MUCH better coach already instead of the Bezzledick and Manning experiments
That's kind of what I was thinking at first...that if they are willing to pay Manning for what we've seen, they would have had the funds to pay someone better when they hired him. But if you pull up an article at the time, this is the quote from Wellman:

“Danny is attracting highly-rated and quality young men to our program and he has proven his ability to develop that talent,” Wake Forest Athletics Director Ron Wellman said in a news release. “Our program will continue to improve and we will realize the lofty goals that we have.”

That sounds very optimistic and makes me think he could have made this move. Like someone else said, he'll owe John Collins a large part of that wad.

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/c...cle_5785e680-9f9b-51cf-97d5-f3ceda8b0b07.html

Guys this is not even remotely true. Wellman is a jerk and a fool but not a total blithering idiot. Manning would have to make 3 mil per year and that is certainly NOT the case, nor has it ever been, to pay a coach that amount at Wake. If this were true we would have had a MUCH better coach already instead of the Bezzledick and Manning experiments

If it's not remotely true, then what is the truth?

The number is likely way off, but the concept could be true. Maybe it is fully guaranteed (this would be moronic) but not for anything close to $18M.

If he had made that statement, he would have answered the question. His response was correct.

There won't be any public comment. SOP for Wake Forest University. It's the disclosure that is important. That seldom happens. Someone broke ranks.

The response given to the big donors and the Deacon club is important. Try stating no comment to someone funding a scholarship or paying for a floor in a new athletic building. People who count to the BOT. If there is dissatisfaction among the big money folks this could certainly stir the pot. If there is turmoil within the athletic department and/or the administration this could fan the flames. Remove the If from the start of the last two sentences and you're left with Hoopla's scoopla.

If it's not remotely true, then what is the truth?

I have heard it was guaranteed for half (3 years) of the extension with raises thereafter (if he hit some program incentive based goals) at 2.1 per. This would make the buyout a guaranteed 6.3mil not 18 million which is ridiculous on it's face. What the floating of the 18 million buyout does is give Wellman a reason NOT to fire Manning this year because most would think we can't with a buyout that high (which is why Wellman won't confirm or deny it IMO). The old "keep them guessing" by issuing company line responses where he doesn't have to admit nothing.

There won't be any public comment. SOP for Wake Forest University. It's the disclosure that is important. That seldom happens. Someone broke ranks.

The response given to the big donors and the Deacon club is important. Try stating no comment to someone funding a scholarship or paying for a floor in a new athletic building. People who count to the BOT. If there is dissatisfaction among the big money folks this could certainly stir the pot. If there is turmoil within the athletic department and/or the administration this could fan the flames. Remove the If from the start of the last two sentences and you're left with Hoopla's scoopla.

Blackjack is right about the big donors, don't think for a minute they don't know the buyout amount to a very close approximation

Well that definitly makes more sense sportsnut, i would think Manning is gone after this season.

I have heard it was guaranteed for half (3 years) of the extension with raises thereafter (if he hit some program incentive based goals) at 2.1 per. This would make the buyout a guaranteed 6.3mil not 18 million which is ridiculous on it's face. What the floating of the 18 million buyout does is give Wellman a reason NOT to fire Manning this year because most would think we can't with a buyout that high (which is why Wellman won't confirm or deny it IMO). The old "keep them guessing" by issuing company line responses where he doesn't have to admit nothing.

This is definitely not a “feel good” ploy and would do zero to address the dissatisfaction of the (ever dwindling) fan base. In fact, it’s just another reason to despise RW.

This is what I assumed it was. Had to be a good amount of incentives. I know Ron is not well liked by a lot here, but he’s not dumb.

If we do go o'fer the ACC like we all anticipate then we damn well better have a new coach next season. :willynilly:

This is what I assumed it was. Had to be a good amount of incentives. I know Ron is not well liked by a lot here, but he’s not dumb.

Maybe not dumb but I can think of quite a few other adjectives I would use. To name a few: stubborn, arrogant, pompous, delusional, unqualified... feel free to add more guys.

You're saying that it was Wellman (or someone at his behest) that floated the 18 million figure? That makes no sense to me. "I'll get people off of my back by releasing info that will make me look even more incompetent than they already think I am."

Maybe not dumb but I can think of quite a few other adjectives I would use. To name a few: stubborn, arrogant, pompous, delusional, unqualified... feel free to add more guys.

100% agree, in terms of basketball. He has shown he doesn’t know how to make basketball coaching hires but that contract is a bad business decision in general - not basketball specific.

Fwiw, I did ask Wellman about this yesterday.

Also, not sure if you guys caught the comments on Manning by C.L. Brown from The Athletic on the radio. Kind of recapped things here
https://247sports.com/college/wake-...gs-contract-status-at-Wake-Forest--125563578/
Have you asked Wellman this yet?

"You fired Dino Gaudio due to what you described as a lack of postseason success. Given the program has not won an NCAA Tournament game since Gaudio's firing and has only been to one NCAA Tournament since then, how would you assess your own decision-making in the last 9 years?"

Word-for-word, please.

Back