• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'19 Special & '20 Congressional Election Thread

Democrats fear Republican sabotage in key Senate race

A mysterious super PAC with GOP ties is attempting to boost little-known Erica Smith over DSCC-endorsed Cal Cunningham in the North Carolina primary.

“ Democrats are growing alarmed about Republican attempts to prop up an insurgent liberal candidate in North Carolina — fearful that GOP meddling will undercut the party’s prospects in a key Senate contest.

What seems like a generic campaign ad pitching Erica Smith, a North Carolina state senator, as “the only proven progressive” in the state’s high-profile Senate race is actually part of a multimillion dollar investment from a mysterious super PAC — the innocuously named "Faith and Power PAC" — with apparent ties to Republicans.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/...s-fear-republican-sabotage-senate-race-115345

No surprise. I've read that GOP internal polls show that Tillis is in for a very tough, difficult fight if Cunningham wins the Democratic nomination, so of course they're going to prop up his opponent and try to get her the Democratic nod. I don't think it will work, as Cunningham has been running plenty of his own ads. Nonetheless, it's clear that holding on to that Senate majority is about as important to the GOP Establishment as Trump's reelection. Even if Trump wins, if the Democrats get the Senate back and hold onto the House (and I think they will keep their House majority), Trump's buffer in Congress will be gone, a lot of the Trump Administration's actions will come under even greater scrutiny (and McConnell won't be able to protect them), and the packing of the federal judiciary will grind to a halt, as will getting a sixth or seventh right-wing SC justice, and lots of other things McConnell has let slide or rammed through.

It's more important to win the Senate than the presidency.

They love talking about the a Democrat plantation. This is the expected extension of that horrible language.

what's a good resource to compare primary candidates -- looking for the NC11 and Dem Senate primaries. I've read a few news articles comparing candidates, but surely there's some online compendium?

Balletopedia will show you who the candidates are and link their campaign websites.

They love talking about the a Democrat plantation. This is the expected extension of that horrible language.

Yeah, Republicans in general love talking about how Democrats are "sheeple" who can't/don't think for themselves, but just follow the crowd, with the unspoken assumption being that conservatives like themselves are true independent thinkers. Yet they belong to a Cult of Personality, follow Dear Leader like lemmings, and believe everything they hear on Fox. I'm sure that the only reason the vast majority of minorities, and especially African-Americans, vote Democratic is because they can't think for themselves and they like living on a political "plantation." Maybe the reason they don't vote Republican is because of all the things that white Trumpites say, tweet, and post about them on a pretty regular basis, and the clear attempts to restrict or hinder minorities from voting, or the efforts to restrict immigration to people from mostly white countries. Nah, that couldn't be it.

Is there, somewhere, a rundown of the close congressional or gubentorial primary races on Super Tuesday? 538 used to do that, but they are all in on the presidential primary.

what's a good resource to compare primary candidates -- looking for the NC11 and Dem Senate primaries. I've read a few news articles comparing candidates, but surely there's some online compendium?

I strongly recommend Moe Davis for NC 11. He has a ground game that could actually flip the district. The others are unlikely to be competitive.

Back