• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAAT discussion (the end)

Under KP ratings, Duke has the toughest matchup of any 1 seed in the round of 16 in VT (VT is #11, Auburn is #13, FSU is #14 and Oregon is #29). If seeds hold and Duke advances, the Devils have the toughest #2 seed in the Elite 8 with MSU (MSU is #3, Michigan is #5, KY is #8, TN is #10). In other words, Duke has a tough road ahead.

FWIW, in Friday's game VT should have something of a home court advantage. It has a significant student/alumni presence around DC. Also, hard to imagine fans from the schools in the other game cheering for Dook.

When Zion started his drive to the basket UCF should have fouled him on the floor. Duke was in the one and one, not the double bonus. Good chance Zion misses the front end.

Was yelling for this. Also was surprised that Duke didn't foul Tacko every time down the court. Dude shoots like 30% from the line.

Under KP ratings, Duke has the toughest matchup of any 1 seed in the round of 16 in VT (VT is #11, Auburn is #13, FSU is #14 and Oregon is #29). If seeds hold and Duke advances, the Devils have the toughest #2 seed in the Elite 8 with MSU (MSU is #3, Michigan is #5, KY is #8, TN is #10). In other words, Duke has a tough road ahead.

Yes. Duke's KP is deflated a bit because Zion missed time, but VPI's KP is also deflated a bit because Justin Robinson missed a third of the season. Obviously Duke means more to his team than Robinson does but to me VPI is a top ten team. Their losses since the start of February are: by 8 to 21st Louisville (at home); by 8 to 34th Clemson (on road); by 6 to 1st Virginia (at home); by 9 to 14th FSU in OT (on the road); by 2 to 14th FSU (ACCT).

So they've lost four times to tournament teams and three times to other Sweet 16 teams.

FWIW, in Friday's game VT should have something of a home court advantage. It has a significant student/alumni presence around DC. Also, hard to imagine fans from the schools in the other game cheering for Dook.

Sans UNC, Kentucky, or Kansas in the same arena as Duke, no team will ever have home court advantage over Duke on a neutral court. This weekend will be no different.

Re: Zion, another UCF defender stood his ground in the key as Zion dropped his shoulder to drive in. Refs swallowed the whistle (even though it appeared to be an obvious charge, could've easily just called a block) where they could've put Zion on the line. No way to know if Dawkins said be aggressive before any shots or not knowing they were in the one and one.

Was yelling for this. Also was surprised that Duke didn't foul Tacko every time down the court. Dude shoots like 30% from the line.

Yep. At that point they should have either let him go in and score, putting Duke down 1, or foul him before he can shoot. No reason to even give him a chance at a 3 points play.

If I'm a 1 seed, Auburn is the team I'd want to avoid right now. Now watch them come out ice cold when they play UNC

If I'm a 1 seed, Auburn is the team I'd want to avoid right now. Now watch them come out ice cold when they play UNC

Agree. When Auburn is on their game, they can beat anyone in the field. Harper and Brown are a great backcourt. They have won 10 in a row including beating TN twice and annihilating KS. A little worried about UNC dominating them on the boards, but Auburn leads the nation in forcing TOs; if they can get UNC rattled, they have a solid shot.

Yeah, but UNC is playing well. I'd be more worried if I'm Gonzaga and Virginia. FSU is an elite defensive team, and they're suddenly shooting it fairly well the last couple of weeks. And while Oregon isn't great, they've been hot the last few weeks, and UVA has looked shaky their 1st 2 games, at least on the offensive end. Duke should have the easiest time of the #1s. Tech is good, but Blackshear is their only big and is foul prone. I unfortunately think Zion will destroy them, though I am interested in how they try to defend Duke. I like the strategy that teams have been employing by not guarding Jones on the perimeter.

Auburn is at its best when it's hitting threes (duh), but, more importantly, speeding up the game and forcing the other team to play faster than it wants. That's going to be tough when UNC already plays at such a frenetic pace.

yep. unc rarely loses in ncaa tournament against teams that like to play fast also.

Is ESPN covering the NCAA tournament or just Duke? There are two articles about Duke on the first page. You have to expand the options at the top of the menu to find NCAAM, then go to scores, to get the scores from the games.

Everyone needs to boycott ESPN.com. I got so sick of their self promotional hype machine, plus seeing garbage clips of of Max Kellerman and Stephen A. Smith yelling into the camera all over the site, that i finally pulled the plug about a year ago, and haven't looked back. SI.com and others have filled the void nicely. The only time I touch ESPN is for live games on TV I can't find anywhere else.

Don't know if its been discussed elsewhere, but Phil Cofer of FSU will miss this round due to the death of his father. Terrible news. Senior forward probably missing his last games as a Seminole.

Everyone needs to boycott ESPN.com. I got so sick of their self promotional hype machine, plus seeing garbage clips of of Max Kellerman and Stephen A. Smith yelling into the camera all over the site, that i finally pulled the plug about a year ago, and haven't looked back. SI.com and others have filled the void nicely. The only time I touch ESPN is for live games on TV I can't find anywhere else.

I agree. ESPN today has three articles on its homepage dealing with the NCAA tourney. Every picture is a picture of Duke. It's like the Fox News of sports media.

Duke has 4 games left to win and they can only do so if they shoot the ball well. If duke hits a decent amount of 3's then they will be near impossible to beat. When they shoot it poorly (like they have a lot of this season) they are gettable. They should only be playing very talented squads that could all take advantage of a bad night from 3. I don't see VT beating them but anyone else they may face I think has a great shot.

I agree. ESPN today has three articles on its homepage dealing with the NCAA tourney. Every picture is a picture of Duke. It's like the Fox News of sports media.

It just makes me want to see them lose more than usual. You'd think they were the only team playing in this tournament and have dominated the competition.

Crazy story that I missed: while VT was advancing to the Sweet 16 in California, local police searched Ty Outlaw's Blacksburg apartment and found weed and some pills. He is now charged with criminal drug possession: https://www.roanoke.com/hokies/sports/mensbasketball/ty-outlaw-of-virginia-tech-charged-with-marijuana-possession/article_34beb1c5-d283-56da-9eb9-839ee2ce0f29.html

Apparently, Outlaw was given a drug test yesterday and passed. So, he will play versus Duke tomorrow: https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/03/28/virginia-techs-ty-outlaw-will-play-vs-duke-after-passing-drug-test/23701957/

Wonder who narc'd on Outlaw while he was out of town. Got to be a distraction.

Last edited:
A search warrant because the officer "smelled" marijuana outside the door? Ridiculous

Crazy story that I missed: while VT was advancing to the Sweet 16 in California, local police searched Ty Outlaw's Blacksburg apartment and found weed and some pills. He is now charged with criminal drug possession: https://www.roanoke.com/hokies/sports/mensbasketball/ty-outlaw-of-virginia-tech-charged-with-marijuana-possession/article_34beb1c5-d283-56da-9eb9-839ee2ce0f29.html

Apparently, Outlaw was given a drug test yesterday and passed. So, he will play versus Duke tomorrow: https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/03/28/virginia-techs-ty-outlaw-will-play-vs-duke-after-passing-drug-test/23701957/

Wonder who narc'd on Outlaw while he was out of town. Got to be a distraction.

Raftface's cronies.

Back