• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah St.

I say this literally every year (and probably before almost every big game), but whenever we have 1 on 1 matchups on the edges with Surratt and Washington, we should consider a deep shot. Newman showed the ability to do that late last year, primarily in trailing situations at the end of the game, and I'm hoping ClawRug will chuck it deep more this year into single coverage. Huge upside, and very minimal risk of INTs with those 2 guys in particular.

USU CB Ja'Marcus Ingram has transferred to TT, and started practicing with the Red Raiders on Tuesday. He has started the last two years for USU when healthy: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27429524/ex-utah-st-cb-ingram-joins-wells-texas-tech

Not sure if he was considered one of the returning corners for those handicapping USU's returning talent.

Really strange that he’d leave so close to the beginning of the season. (I assume he’s been practicing with USU the past few weeks). Could this be an indicator that all is not well at USU?
Regardless, as mentioned above, their defensive backfield looks somewhat vulnerable.

I say this literally every year (and probably before almost every big game), but whenever we have 1 on 1 matchups on the edges with Surratt and Washington, we should consider a deep shot. Newman showed the ability to do that late last year, primarily in trailing situations at the end of the game, and I'm hoping ClawRug will chuck it deep more this year into single coverage. Huge upside, and very minimal risk of INTs with those 2 guys in particular.

Last year, Surratt wasn't fast or physical enough to make those plays. If he can get there, he'll be a great weapon. Still wouldn't mind seeing him add 20 lbs and convert to TE.

Really strange that he’d leave so close to the beginning of the season. (I assume he’s been practicing with USU the past few weeks). Could this be an indicator that all is not well at USU?
Regardless, as mentioned above, their defensive backfield looks somewhat vulnerable.

Ingram has been in the transfer portal since the beginning of August. His reason behind leaving was because of education. Utah State didn’t offer the classes he needs for his grad program. USU did just get a DB transfer from Arizona State, Terin Adams, who is expected to add some depth.

Last year, Surratt wasn't fast or physical enough to make those plays. If he can get there, he'll be a great weapon. Still wouldn't mind seeing him add 20 lbs and convert to TE.

In a 1 on 1 jump ball situation, I'll take Surratt over pretty much any DB we'll play this year. Dude was Mr. Basketball in NC. Unless Scotty has a huge year, Sage will almost assuredly be our top receiver. Sure he's not the fastest out there, but he has incredible hands, and has apparently really improved his route running/separation.

So, WF fans want the offense to throw deep more. Shocking.

"C'mon, air-it out Clawson!"

So, WF fans want the offense to throw deep more. Shocking.

"C'mon, air-it out Clawson!"

We really don't go deep very much, likely in part because of the philosophy/importance of staying "on schedule." With the RPO, we should get some good 1 on 1 opportunities for Sage and Washington. Large receivers are a strength of our offense, so it's natural to want to try taking some shots.

Currie put together a flyover as well as WSSU band halftime show. He seems like he comes from much more of a fans perspective than a suit.

We really don't go deep very much, likely in part because of the philosophy/importance of staying "on schedule." With the RPO, we should get some good 1 on 1 opportunities for Sage and Washington. Large receivers are a strength of our offense, so it's natural to want to try taking some shots.

Eh - seems like whenever we do go deep it's just a disaster. Like not even close. And this is across years and years of different QBs and receivers. I wonder if we just don't get QBs with the arm strength to make accurate deep throws. I seem to remember Price being ok at the deep passes though. And I think there's hope for Newman.

Eh - seems like whenever we do go deep it's just a disaster. Like not even close. And this is across years and years of different QBs and receivers. I wonder if we just don't get QBs with the arm strength to make accurate deep throws. I seem to remember Price being ok at the deep passes though. And I think there's hope for Newman.

Deep passes probably won the State game. I'm not saying go routes should be the cornerstone of our offense, they shouldn't. But it would be nice to see a couple jump balls to a guy like Washington if he's got single coverage against a Utah State corner. That's all.

Deep passes probably won the State game. I'm not saying go routes should be the cornerstone of our offense, they shouldn't. But it would be nice to see a couple jump balls to a guy like Washington if he's got single coverage against a Utah State corner. That's all.

Yeah, I was on a plane for that one.

I'm pretty sure Dortch caught a bomb or two against Utah St. And Rice the last two years

Isn't it kind of a finger in the eye to the Wake band to invite the WSSU band to play at our football game?

Ingram has been in the transfer portal since the beginning of August. His reason behind leaving was because of education. Utah State didn’t offer the classes he needs for his grad program. USU did just get a DB transfer from Arizona State, Terin Adams, who is expected to add some depth.

Thanks for the info. Are you worried about your defensive backfield? On a scale of 1 to 10; 1 being petrified and 10 being we will be top 5 in the nation in batted balls and picks

Back