• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CONOR Football News 2020

I mean, Sciba has scored all of our points against Clemson for two years now.

There are very few kicks that are going out of the endzone in college football. Most are bouncing in the endzone and aren't being returned and are thus touchbacks.

The four long kick returns we have given up this year were fielded a the goal line, 2, 2 and 3 yard line.

If I remember right (I'm not going back to re-watch the game), Murphy's first kickoff was inside the 5 yard line and was only returned to the 16 or 17 yard line. If the coverage team can actually cover, this seems like a better strategy than kicking into or through the end zone. In the case of the first one, Duke got the ball 8 or 9 yards short of the 25 yard line - which is where it would have come to if it was kicked out of the end zone.

I do hope Conor comes back and answers my question about why Wake changed kickoff guys this week and if they will use Murphy or Sciba in the game against Syracuse and the bowl game. Conor has seen both Sciba and Murphy kick all during Fall camp, so he probably has a better idea of why the change was made than many of us. It has seemed like Sciba has struggled to get kickoffs past the 10 yard line in the last four or five games, so it could be due to Murphy having a fresher leg. Someone mentioned he appeared to hit a higher ball, so that may have contributed to the change.

Conor - Did you get a chance to ask Clawson why the change was made in kicker last week (to Murphy) and who would be kicking off this week? Based on game replays I watched, it appeared the returns were due more to the coverage team and was not the kicker's fault. Clawson did not call out the kicker today in his press conference, but did talk a lot about the inexperience of the coverage team.

Murphy was in there to try to get a fresh leg. And yes, Clawson didn't mention any kind of issue with the direction or hang time of the kicks. He'd obviously like kicks to go into the end zone, but it's not like they've been instructing players to not kick into the end zone -- nor have they been sleeping on Ivan Mora or somebody who could have been kicking into the end zone for the entire season.

Gotta love Clawson. Grobe would have blamed the players and said something like “When they’re ready to make plays, they’ll make plays.”

Connor- thank you for your excellent coverage of the Deacs this year. I've been both entertained and informed by your work and it has made following this Deacs team even more fun. Bravo.

Sky kick inside 30 yard line.

Or just Matt Prater it.

It doesn't seem that Wake has anybody with a strong enough leg to do that. Clawson's preference would be kickoff out of end zone and ball placed at 25.

Connor- thank you for your excellent coverage of the Deacs this year. I've been both entertained and informed by your work and it has made following this Deacs team even more fun. Bravo.

Thank you, SC. It's been a fun team to cover.

+1. Great work.

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/c...cle_6b802135-64ee-56ab-989f-4778b14a5c50.html

When kids like Whitter and their parents do a better job realizing the clear opportunity to excel in their careers at WF then things will change. WF is one to two wins away from ACCC berth. Bunch of guys riding the aluminum every Saturday in Death Valley that could be on the field with WF or ________ .

I understand what you’re saying but we’re not 1-2 wins away. Clemson was 8-0. We were 4-4. That’s 3 wins away with one of them being Clemson. That’s a lot in a 12 game schedule.

Waydale has entered the transfer portal.

Back