• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CONOR Football News 2020

Finalists for Lou Groza award for the best college kicker:

- Rodrigo Blankenship UGA (missed the kick that cost the Dawgs the S. Carolina game; missed a total of 3 FGs this year)
- Keith Duncan Iowa (missed 5 FGs this year)
- Blake Mazza Wash State (missed a FG; missed two PATs; missed 5 last year)

Nick Sciba. Has NOT missed a FG since middle of 2018. 21 for 21 this year. 41 for 41 on PATs. NCAA record holder for consecutive FGs without a miss. Screw job.

Last edited:
Sciba has also never attempted a FB of 50 yards or longer. Part of that may have something to do with our unreliable defense and not wanting to give up good field position to the opposing offense, but he really doesn't have the leg.

College kickers also handle kickoffs and he can't put the ball in the end zone.

Sciba has also never attempted a FB of 50 yards or longer. Part of that may have something to do with our unreliable defense and not wanting to give up good field position to the opposing offense, but he really doesn't have the leg.

College kickers also handle kickoffs and he can't put the ball in the end zone.

Keith Duncan has never attempted a FG of 50 yards or longer and he's 16-21 from 30-49 yards

These awards are hype and beauty contests. Deserving has little to do with it.

Sciba definitely has the leg to make 50 yarders. He made a 49-yard field goal last year and the 42-yarder he kicked against Duke in the rain would have been good from much longer. I think his abundance of short field goals this year is just the fact that our offense is very effective moving the ball but often bogs down inside the 10.

Last edited:
Sciba definitely has the leg to make 50 yarders. He made a 49-yard field goal last year and the 42-yarder he kicked against Duke in the rain would have been good from much longer. I think his abundance of short field goals this year is just the fact that our offense is very effective moving the ball but often bogs down inside the 10.

Sciba has a lower trajectory on his kicks than a lot of kickers, just an observation from watching warm-ups at every home game. What Sciba has done is remarkable, I don't care what the average distance of his kicks have been. Sure, a lot have been of the shorter variety, but I watch a lot of college football and most kickers I see aren't perfect from 30-39 if they've had many attempts. Heck, look at the day Joey Slye had for the Panthers Sunday, 2 missed PAT's and a missed 30 some yarder. Sciba deserved to be a finalist and if he played for a name program he would be. To make 32 or whatever in a row is awesome and a real testament to Sciba, Maggio, Diemel and the rest of the guys on the FG team.

My thing on Sciba is -- and this is without looking at the others too much -- think about how many close games Wake would've been in a worse spot if he'd have missed any one of the last 32 kicks. N.C. State, Memphis, Utah State, UNC, BC, FSU, Duke, all of those games that are different outlooks at best, different outcomes at worst, with blown kicks. Every week there are constant examples of #collegekickers ... yet Sciba has been the most-accurate kicker in college football for the past season and a half, and broke a 37-year-old record.

The factor on 50-yarders this season I dug into yesterday and put on Twitter.

Wake has had 6 drives end b/t opps' 30-42:
2 in rain v. Duke (30, 33)
1 @ VT down 29-17 in 4th
1 @ BC up 3 w/28 secs. left
1 v. UNC (38)
1 v. Utah St. (failed to make 4th-5 late in the game)

There's maybe been 2-3 situations where he even could've been given the opportunity to make a 48-60-yarder, and Clawson loves to play the analytics game to pin opponents inside the 10, get a stop and get the ball back around midfield.

I mean, as was pointed out on Twitter: Blankenship blew his biggest kick of the year.

Is it possible that Justin Herron will go into the books as having the most starts in the history of Wake Forest football? He got a medical redshirt and will have played in bowl games in each season, so his bowl game, assuming he starts, will be his 51st start for Wake Forest. And I believe his 53rd game played ...

Is it possible that Justin Herron will go into the books as having the most starts in the history of Wake Forest football? He got a medical redshirt and will have played in bowl games in each season, so his bowl game, assuming he starts, will be his 51st start for Wake Forest. And I believe his 53rd game played ...

Yes. Talked to Justin about that about 3 hours ago, fun conversation. His start Saturday was his 49th, so he broke Vallos' record for an OL.

Finalists for Lou Groza award for the best college kicker:

- Rodrigo Blankenship UGA (missed the kick that cost the Dawgs the S. Carolina game; missed a total of 3 FGs this year)
- Keith Duncan Iowa (missed 5 FGs this year)
- Blake Mazza Wash State (missed a FG; missed two PATs; missed 5 last year)

Nick Sciba. Has NOT missed a FG since middle of 2018. 21 for 21 this year. 41 for 41 on PATs. NCAA record holder for consecutive FGs without a miss. Screw job.

Maybe Sciba can get first team All-ACC kicker.

I know it's not a lifetime achievement award, but Sciba is a sophomore and if he continues kicking at anywhere near his current rate he'll be a finalist the next two years. It will also help if he starts attempting more than two kicks a year in excess of 39 yards. Right now, he is extremely dependable, but not a weapon. Maybe the game will give him more chances next year.

And he's killing us with all of these returnable kickoffs.

I know it's not a lifetime achievement award, but Sciba is a sophomore and if he continues kicking at anywhere near his current rate he'll be a finalist the next two years. It will also help if he starts attempting more than two kicks a year in excess of 39 yards. Right now, he is extremely dependable, but not a weapon. Maybe the game will give him more chances next year.

And he's killing us with all of these returnable kickoffs.

Not that he was great earlier, but you know he wasn’t kicking off last weekend right?

So this is the Lou Groza award winner?

Sciba would fall out of bed and nail that bunny.

Last edited:
Not that he was great earlier, but you know he wasn’t kicking off last weekend right?

According to the game stats, Nick Sciba kicked off 5 times and Zach Murphy kicked off four times. I remember most of Sciba's kickoffs were sky kicks, but one was kicked regular to the left and went to the 10 or 12 yard line.

Conor - Did you get a chance to ask Clawson why the change was made in kicker last week (to Murphy) and who would be kicking off this week? Based on game replays I watched, it appeared the returns were due more to the coverage team and was not the kicker's fault. Clawson did not call out the kicker today in his press conference, but did talk a lot about the inexperience of the coverage team.

According to the game stats, Nick Sciba kicked off 5 times and Zach Murphy kicked off four times. I remember most of Sciba's kickoffs were sky kicks, but one was kicked regular to the left and went to the 10 or 12 yard line.

Conor - Did you get a chance to ask Clawson why the change was made in kicker last week (to Murphy) and who would be kicking off this week? Based on game replays I watched, it appeared the returns were due more to the coverage team and was not the kicker's fault. Clawson did not call out the kicker today in his press conference, but did talk a lot about the inexperience of the coverage team.

Murphy kicked the ball noticeably higher than Sciba, I wonder if that was the thought? More hang time allows the coverage to get further down field before the returner catches it and starts running it back, which normally would be a good thing.

He helped put his team in the national championship game nailing a halftime kick that Clawson whould have knelt out at the 47 instead of taking the shot to getinto 55-year FG range.

Keep arguing for a guy with two kicks over 39 yards this year who cost us multiple touchdowns and huge field position swings like it doesn't matter. Maybe Clawson will give him a shot someday.

So it’s not a lifetime achievement award but the presumed winner is going to win based on career accomplishments and not his performance this season.

Back