• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Way too early look to the 2020 NFL Draft

Wow, that would be amazing. Counting on some big plays from him these next 8 games. Start with a pick 6 this Saturday!

Yeah Bassey Boogie and Sage are all gonna play themselves into some good spots. This team has a lot of talent.

Scotty as well. He’s addressing the drops. He’s got an opposite situation to Dortch. He’s going to get drafted because of his size. He’s basically the same size as Mike Evans who is the tallest and biggest WR in the NFL.

Is Strnad a legit prospect? Seems like he would be.

He'll definitely get a look. Not sure about getting drafted.

wonder how much risk we have at losing early entry guys between basham, surratt and newman.

wonder how much risk we have at losing early entry guys between basham, surratt and newman.

The way I see it, we have 2 options.

1. We recruit and develop great talent that helps us win a lot of games, but some of this talent may depart early for the NFL

2. We recruit lower level talent that will have no chance of going to the NFL.

I’ll take option 1.

1. We recruit and develop great talent that helps us win a lot of games, but some of this talent may depart early for the NFL

I’ll take option 1.

And sometimes those guys finish out their eligibility before leaving. See Duke Ejiofor as an example.

Amazing how defeating UNCCH garners so much publicity regardless of how bad UNCCH may be.

I’ll take option 1.

Not a complaint, but we seem to be in the gray area as a program of recruiting and developing well enough to expect a decent amount of 1, but not having confidence (yet, we are getting there) that their replacement will be equally as good.

It's not like we're recruiting 5 stars that are bolting early though. We're getting de-commits from Kent State and local 3/4 stars. Our staff is just good at what they do.

Not a complaint, but we seem to be in the gray area as a program of recruiting and developing well enough to expect a decent amount of 1, but not having confidence (yet, we are getting there) that their replacement will be equally as good.

Wake's NFL prospects have been made through good coaching and lots and lots of hard work. Wake recruits don't arrive with "NFL in three years" stamped on them.

That is why it is a little harder for fans to see the developing replacement talent. Wake coaches do an incredible job of identifying and signing prospects who have the potential for great things. Then there is the necessary hard work by the players and coaches to bring the potential into fruition as production. It doesn't always happen, but this staff is very good at both parts - identifying the kids with potential and developing that potential into production.

We need to get to the point where guys are confident enough in our team's future, national exposure, S&C staff, their own abilities, etc. that they come back to improve their draft stock rather than jump at the first chance to get drafted in the late rounds. Hopefully we see that after this year.

We need to get to the point where guys are confident enough in our team's future, national exposure, S&C staff, their own abilities, etc. that they come back to improve their draft stock rather than jump at the first chance to get drafted in the late rounds. Hopefully we see that after this year.

Wake getting into the top 25 will help the national exposure. So will Orange bowl scouts. So will going to and winning a fourth bowl in a row.

Another point is that the guys being looked at hard by NFL scouts have NFL preferred measurables. Surratt, Boogie, Newman are all at least NFL average for their respective positions. They aren't in the "I better seize the moment and go mow because I'm not getting any taller" situation.

Not really. If Newman leaves early we have Hartman. Dortch left early and we got Hinton. Sage leaves early and we have several guys with experience in the program or 4-star pedigree. We’ve got promising young DE to replace Boogie.

We aren’t in a position where we have guys equally as good as NFL draft picks but we will have other players emerge at other positions to give the replacements time to grow and develop. For example, we could lose our entire WR rotation but we will have Walker at RB for two more years and he could be among the best in the country.

Having players get drafted, whether they leave early or not, only helps recruiting.

A lot easier to convince recruits to choose WF over the competition when your program sends guys to the NFL. So, in the short run, yes, it hurts to lose guys with eligibility remaining, but in the long run, it shows the program continues to be heading in the right direction. If WF wants a top 25 program, some players are going to leave early. Just a reality.

We’re getting closer to the point where we can ‘reload’ each year rather than ‘rebuild’.

Is Strnad a legit prospect? Seems like he would be.

What I think of whenever I see or hear his name:
giphy.gif

Back