• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Way too early look to the 2020 NFL Draft

I see Sage more as a Deandre Hopkins type. Not a burner but very physical.

Jordan Love's draft value must have taken a hit. He's had a disappointing senior year. The ratings that still have Love highly rated have not been adjusted to account for his performance this year.

Jordan Love's draft value must have taken a hit. He's had a disappointing senior year. The ratings that still have Love highly rated have not been adjusted to account for his performance this year.

Loves reliable teammates left after his breakout season last year. That will be taken into account. Someone said it earlier, Surratt reminds me of Anquan Boldin, maybe even Chris Carter with the right system. A reliable first down machine.

Actually, many really have evaluated his year in context as 3rd QB #15 overall:
15. *Jordan Love, QB, Utah State (6-3, 224, 4.68)
There is no way around it – Love and Utah State have been disappointing in 2019. And from a scouting perspective, it can be tough to separate “reasons” and “excuses” when debating the lack of talent and coaching around him. Despite his struggles, Love is still super talented with untapped potential.

Broadcasters were really pimping Jamie as a first round QB during the State game last weekend. Hopefully they meant in 2021.

Broadcasters were really pimping Jamie as a first round QB during the State game last weekend. Hopefully they meant in 2021.

The pimping continues.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...quarterback-secret-has-first-round-potential/

Why the 2020 NFL Draft's best-kept quarterback secret has first-round potential

This big, athletic and polished quarterback is the ultimate draft sleeper in the 2020 class

He's a 6-foot-4, 230-pound, draft-eligible quarterback of a 7-1 team in a Power 5 conference, and for some reason, is garnering essentially no draft buzz. Until now.
Wake Forest's Jamie Newman has plus athleticism, a decently strong arm, and has made an assortment some of the most high-level plays from inside the pocket of any quarterback in college football this season. Actually, probably only Joe Burrow from LSU and maybe Oregon's Justin Herbert have made more retweet-worthy, highlight-reel throws from between the tackles this year.
As a redshirt junior, Newman does have another year of eligibility, but what he's done as a passer -- and runner -- this season has put him inside my top 50 right now. I'll show you why I have such a big grade him at the moment.

Lots of good analysis and clips in this piece.

[h=3]Summary[/h]Newman has shown the full repertoire of playing quarterback in his first full season as Wake Forest's starter, and while there hasn't been any indication of whether he's leaning toward returning to school or heading to the NFL after this year, he has tremendous quarterbacking abilities.
When it comes to the nuances of playing the position -- and the deep-ball accuracy -- Newman is much further ahead of where Dwayne Haskins was as a prospect, and we all know when he was selected.

Last edited:

damn, that's a good article.

too bad they posted the wrong highlight for this one:

This completion on third-and-19 against Boston College is not just the most impressive overall play I've seen from any collegiate quarterback this season, it's up there with the most outstanding throws I've watched among first- or second-year NFL quarterbacks. And I'm not exaggerating.

Would be Bizarro World for WF to have 3 players declare early (and get drafted early) for the NFL draft.

Strong affirmation that Clawson is making recruiting decisions on another level.

damn, that's a good article.

too bad they posted the wrong highlight for this one:

Yeah. I couldn't find a 3rd and 19 play vs. BC. He may have gotten confused with the quick out throw from the BC 19 in the next section. He said that throw was against UNC.

I think he may have been talking about this throw on 3rd and 19 vs. Louisville. Go to the 6:00 mark. The Louisville condensed game is 37 minutes. Worth noting that most of the throws mentioned in that article are to Hinton who was the only WR not mentioned by name.

Would be Bizarro World for WF to have 3 players declare early (and get drafted early) for the NFL draft.

Strong affirmation that Clawson is making recruiting decisions on another level.

agreed

here are the 10 programs that had 3 or more guys leave early and get drafted without graduating last year:

Alabama
Florida
Ohio State
Georgia
Michigan
Oklahoma
Penn State
Iowa
Notre Dame
Ole Miss

IMO, Jamie would benefit greatly from coming back another year. He has started less than 10 games in his college career. Another year would benefit him greatly, as long as we aren't expecting a significant drop in OL production.

More games would allow more scouts to discover him. But his game is very polished. He doesn’t have an obvious weakness.

the side-by-side comparison of Jamie and Cam’s throwing motion during the broadcast showed just how much the comparison ends at size

More games would allow more scouts to discover him. But his game is very polished. He doesn’t have an obvious weakness.

Jamie is a great kid and I know him and his dad, but his is not polished. He is very good, but he could use another year of starting - game management, eye placement, ball security and recognizing defenses / adjusting protection / changing plays. Admittedly, we don't do a lot of checking or switching protection, but we did a lot more of it when Wolford was a 4 year starter, than we do now. Another year would very much help Jamie - make him more NFL ready.

However, with his size, measurables and stats - if he gets projected to be drafted in the first 2 rounds, he should absolutely go.

Yeah. I couldn't find a 3rd and 19 play vs. BC. He may have gotten confused with the quick out throw from the BC 19 in the next section. He said that throw was against UNC.

I think he may have been talking about this throw on 3rd and 19 vs. Louisville. Go to the 6:00 mark. The Louisville condensed game is 37 minutes. Worth noting that most of the throws mentioned in that article are to Hinton who was the only WR not mentioned by name.

Good find, and thanks. I was trying to find this play too after it was so lauded. He's right, it is a great great throw ...

Jamie is a great kid and I know him and his dad, but his is not polished. He is very good, but he could use another year of starting - game management, eye placement, ball security and recognizing defenses / adjusting protection / changing plays. Admittedly, we don't do a lot of checking or switching protection, but we did a lot more of it when Wolford was a 4 year starter, than we do now. Another year would very much help Jamie - make him more NFL ready.

However, with his size, measurables and stats - if he gets projected to be drafted in the first 2 rounds, he should absolutely go.

Sure. Those weaknesses aren't obvious and they're weakness shared by any college QB. I don't think those are keeping him from showing up on draft boards. He's just overlooked.

Back