• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

What assumption did I make?

that I am avoiding making a class analysis. I think age stratifications certainly have a class component.
that I am making value judgements.

I would prefer if more renters voted. they generally support the same candidates that I do.

that I am avoiding making a class analysis. I think age stratifications certainly have a class component.
that I am making value judgements.

I would prefer if more renters voted. they generally support the same candidates that I do.

It wasn’t an assumption, you’ve literally responded twice now without a class analysis of voter participation. Age was obviously not the focus of the article or the research.

As for “value judgements”, that was a blanket statement that you chose to include yourself in.

It wasn’t an assumption, you’ve literally responded twice now without a class analysis of voter participation. Age was obviously not the focus of the article or the research.

As for “value judgements”, that was a blanket statement that you chose to include yourself in.
Stating that age stratifications have a class component to them is not class analysis?

poorer people vote less. is that better?

And it was a blanket statement you included in a response directly to my comment?

Anyway, thought these were important points in the article:

“Perhaps most importantly, renters face a distinct set of economic challenges. The net worth of the median homeowner is $231,400, more than 44 times that of the median renter, who has a net worth of just $5,200…”

and “Renters are also far more likely than homeowners to be spending an excessive share of their income on housing costs, a problem that affects low-income renters in both urban and rural communities. “

So that shows that not only do homeowners have the value of their home included in their net worth, but that renters also pay a much larger percentage of their household income on housing costs - for minorities that rent 46% spend at least 30% of their income on housing costs, where only 24% of minority homeowners spend 30% of their income on housing costs.

I think the distinction between wealth and proportional housing cost burden is an important one. The researchers propose that homeowners concerns incite them to vote, but then also tacitly propose that housing cost burdens correlate with not-voting.

in a culture that holds property ownership above all else it would make sense that renters feel like they have less to gain by participating in voting

in a culture that holds property ownership above all else it would make sense that renters feel like they have less to gain by participating in voting

Maybe a stupid question, but is the value of a mortgage included in a persons net worth? From my limited understanding, a mortgaged home is owned by the lending company until the mortgage is completed - so rather than ownership, would that be considered a line of credit?

You own the FMV of the home and you owe a mortgage loan to a 3rd party. the difference in those two is your net worth.

You own the home, but they have a lien on the home.

Last edited:
You own the FMV of the home and you owe a mortgage loan to a 3rd party. the difference in those two is your net worth.

Thanks. So for the terms used in that research, “home owners” are any person who owns a home outright or has a home mortgage, but the median net worth of a homeowner doesn’t necessarily include the total value of their home if it’s still in repayment. I think that makes the Median 231k net worth figure of homeowners even more impressive, because it doesn’t even necessarily include their home value.

So you can’t view that wealth disparity of homeowners vs renters as simply the difference between the value of an asset vs no asset value.

Net worth = Assets - Liabilities
Value of home is asset
Mortgage is liability

So essentially your equity in your house is part of your net worth.

Political Chat Thread - All Topics & Rants Welcome

is there a reason we're using median and not mean

I would assume that for net worth purposes, extreme wealth and extreme poverty would skew the mean too far in both directions, but if it helps, there are 724 billionaires in the US, and about 13 million people with negative net worth.

Last edited:
I wonder if an analysis that controls for age and income would show such an effect of renters vs. homeowners. It's quite possible there's an effect from renters not voting because they aren't established in a community, but I'm curious how strong it is.

renters skew young and young people vote at lower rates.

MDMH, I’m curious why you chose to respond to Chris’ weak response to the article instead of my more complete response that includes class and posits reasons for a specific renter effect.

MDMH, I’m curious why you chose to respond to Chris’ weak response to the article instead of my more complete response that includes class and posits reasons for a specific renter effect.

I just missed it, solo parenting all week

So maybe this Roe decision will stop all these Yankees from going to school in the South and moving here.

Of course, all those SC justices went to Harvard or Yale (except Coney Barrett).

Jesus Fucking Christ

So maybe this Roe decision will stop all these Yankees from going to school in the South and moving here.

Of course, all those SC justices went to Harvard or Yale (except Coney Barrett).

We won the war and invented air conditioning. We can move anywhere we want.

But in response to your comment, I doubt this will stem the number of northerners going to southern schools. They likely will be the ones who will be able to travel back to their home state in order to get any needed procedures done. Southern woman on the other hand may have to take this into consideration.

Yeah the south is so much better off with our royal middle class of community college graduates driving around monster trucks all day getting paid 90k a year to smoke cigarettes and use racial slurs. Oh no, if the carpetbaggers take over who will keep our jet ski dealerships in business and buy all the wintergreen grizzly long cut?

Back