• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Yeah the south is so much better off with our royal middle class of community college graduates driving around monster trucks all day getting paid 90k a year to smoke cigarettes and use racial slurs. Oh no, if the carpetbaggers take over who will keep our jet ski dealerships in business and buy all the wintergreen grizzly long cut?

You think we're getting the cream-of-the-crop yankees for the most part ?

I find very little about Southern culture worth maintaining, and the southerners concerned with maintaining the culture are often its worst feature

I find very little about Southern culture worth maintaining, and the southerners concerned with maintaining the culture are often its worst feature

other than food culture yeah I'd pretty much agree. and of course most of that can be sourced back to slavery, African food traditions, etc.

other than food culture yeah I'd pretty much agree. and of course most of that can be sourced back to slavery, African food traditions, etc.

Yeah. I wanted to call out MDMH for a hot take, but the more I thought about it, he's right. The best stuff in Southern culture is food rooted in African traditions and Black adaptions to slavery. The music is some hits (old gospel, mass choir gospel, some hip-hop) and a lot of misses (country, trap music) and a whole lot a meh (southern R&B, rock, etc.). I can't think of any specific southern fashion aside from confederate flag garb and "wife beaters." Language and accents are not spectacular.

this is a very white post lol

In my life I have never heard a single Black person complain about northern Black transplants besides a Black guy from Deleware being made fun of in high school for his accent and getting the nickname “Delly”, maybe that counts?

In my life I have never heard a single Black person complain about northern Black transplants besides a Black guy from Deleware being made fun of in high school for his accent and getting the nickname “Delly”, maybe that counts?

I heard about "carpet baggers" my whole life, but it was only recently that I learned carpetbaggers were Northerners who came to the South during Reconstruction to help Black people.

Yeah. I wanted to call out MDMH for a hot take, but the more I thought about it, he's right. The best stuff in Southern culture is food rooted in African traditions and Black adaptions to slavery. The music is some hits (old gospel, mass choir gospel, some hip-hop) and a lot of misses (country, trap music) and a whole lot a meh (southern R&B, rock, etc.). I can't think of any specific southern fashion aside from confederate flag garb and "wife beaters." Language and accents are not spectacular.

Brings to mind the question of what food white southerners were eating before Black southern cuisine developed. We just assume that people in the south have been eating fried chicken and collards forever, but I bet they were eating some terrible English Shit.

Brings to mind the question of what food white southerners were eating before Black southern cuisine developed. We just assume that people in the south have been eating fried chicken and collards forever, but I bet they were eating some terrible English Shit.

and barbecue was something Native Americans were doing for centuries before white folks showed up

the Blues were what birthed a lot of rock music as we know it today, and certainly influenced most of the good classic rock bands. IMO the best Southern Rock band, the Allman Brothers, did the best at incorporating jazz and the blues. helped that they had a Black drummer who was well-versed in jazz music.

I do love bluegrass music, and what know of it today that came from Appalachia but the roots are in Celtic music.

pretty sad that it took brits to realize how fucking awesome the blues are and show the rest of the world

I'm just saying that a lot of the stuff you're talking about is connected to white Southern culture, whereas Southern culture consists of a lot of contributions made by Black Southerners?

I'm just saying that a lot of the stuff you're talking about is connected to white Southern culture, whereas Southern culture consists of a lot of contributions made by Black Southerners?

You can differentiate all you want, but It’s not Black people complaining about Northern carpetbaggers moving down to ol’ Dixieland. Somehow black southern cuisine and Beale St Blues music is never what needs defending by drunk NASCAR attendees.

You can differentiate all you want, but It’s not Black people complaining about Northern carpetbaggers moving down to ol’ Dixieland. Somehow black southern cuisine and Beale St Blues music is never what needs defending by drunk NASCAR attendees.

Yeah, I'm not interested in the broader point because I agree with you, but Southern culture isn't synonymous with white culture, despite white people's best attempts to conflate the two. There are incredible Southern Cultures that have little to do with NASCAR and whistling Dixie. Where does Daughters in the Dust, for example, fit into this notion of Southern Culture.

Shut your whore mouth.

Back