• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Examining racial inequality through the lens of Wake football players

Okay, your turn. When were you in school and what examples did you experience?

It’s not about me. I didn’t experience discrimination because I am a cis het white dude. But I am willing to shut up about my experiences and listen to these players and believe them about theirs.

Maybe I was just too drunk or oblivious, but I never saw/heard any racism in my four years at Wake. Go ahead, fire away!

There was plenty of both overt and covert racism at Wake in the '70s. It wasn't just with respect to athletes. This was also less than a decade after black student athletes were allowed to play at ACC schools.

It’s not about me. I didn’t experience discrimination because I am a cis het white dude. But I am willing to shut up about my experiences and listen to these players and believe them about theirs.

White or not, you see and hear things over a college career. Just curious if you had any examples. Guess not.

Not surprising that some old crusty Wake fans would be in the "stick to sports" camp. But if you think about it, we want our teams to be good which means attracting top football and basketball talent. Guess what, that talent is mostly black. If our campus is unfriendly for black students on a day to day basis, that not only sucks on its own, but also hurts us in recruiting. So even if you're a hardcore MAGAt who nutted over Kyle Rittenhouse, if you want our sports teams to be good then you should want our campus to be more inclusive.

Thanks for writing this Conor. I genuinely hope a lot of current Wake students read it.

One of the quotes that stood out to me the most was from Ja’Sir Taylor: “A lot of people see us as just dumb jocks, we only got in because of sports and if we’re walking around campus, the first question is, ‘Do you play a sport or anything?’”

During my time at Wake, and definitely still today, this was so, so true. One of my good friends at Wake was a black non-athlete, and he probably got asked by 100 people over 4 years what sport he played, within 5 minutes of meeting them. That question essentially means that the person asking assumes that a black student at Wake got into the school through athletics and not academics. It speaks to the lack of real diversity at Wake, but it is also demeaning to black student athletes at Wake, many of whom achieve great things academically at Wake and would have been more than capable of getting into the school without athletics. You could probably go even further based on what the question means in relation to the cost of tuition at Wake, but I’ll leave it with academics.

Yep. That’s real talk. And it extends to Wake alumni events as well.

White or not, you see and hear things over a college career. Just curious if you had any examples. Guess not.

I’m unclear on why you’re asking a poster who identified themselves as white as opposed to reading the quotes from Black athletes who articulated their experience

One of the quotes that stood out to me the most was from Ja’Sir Taylor: “A lot of people see us as just dumb jocks, we only got in because of sports and if we’re walking around campus, the first question is, ‘Do you play a sport or anything?’”

We are getting to be a defensive society. I see nothing wrong asking someone if they played football at WFU or at another school. So after the bowl game in Birmingham I asked a young black man if he played at Wake. Yes, he had, a number of years ago, and we had a great conversation about training work outs, game prep and other facets of the game. I doubt he was offended!!!!

We are getting to be a defensive society. I see nothing wrong asking someone if they played football at WFU or at another school. So after the bowl game in Birmingham I asked a young black man if he played at Wake. Yes, he had, a number of years ago, and we had a great conversation about training work outs, game prep and other facets of the game. I doubt he was offended!!!!

You missed most of the point. The point was that black student athletes at Wake often feel that their peers assume that they are only capable of getting into Wake Forest, and doing the academic work at Wake Forest, because of their status as athletes. By immediately assuming that a black student on campus is an athlete, you would be implicitly saying to that student that you think they were accepted to Wake Forest as an athlete and not as a student. This is an indirect (and sometimes unintentional!) way of looking down on those student athletes

I would assume that you had context clues (you were at a football game) in your example that suggested it was likely that person played football. Regardless, telling one story that you experienced does not mean that the quote expressing the experiences of the student athlete in Conor’s article is not valid or a ridiculous criticism of our society.

You got lucky that he was kind enough to tolerate your stereotypes. You’re also lucky that Wake has so few Black men students who don’t play sports that the odds are in your favor. That’s a loaded question and it’s pretty despicable to ask it unless you have a reason to ask it besides their race.

Been a hot minute since I posted on this board, but I couldn't let this one go without comment. Probably giving away my identity but since I don't post, I don't really care.

I'm a black female who goes to all of the home football games and 90% of the away games (100% if BC & Cuse aren't on the schedule...been there, done that, not keen to go back). Without failure, I will be asked at least once during an away game, "which one is your son?" Twelve years ago, the question was, "are you dating someone on the team?" First of all, I just turned 41 but I've been getting this question since my early 30s which assumed I had to have been a teen mom..thanks for putting that stereotype on me. BTW, I don't have any kids at 41 either. Secondly, the player ticket allotments are in a different part of the visitor section. Lastly, those people typically have on a jersey, t-shirt, button, hat or something that identifies them as related to a player. I have on black and gold/beige/yellow, sometimes a WF logo, but never anything that suggests I'm partial to a certain player; yet, I get the question EVERY GAME. I am not exaggerating.

I have an undergraduate degree from MSD. I worked at MSD. I'm southern born and bred, but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I'm smart enough to recognize the micro-aggression when it slaps me in the face every fall. People assume I'm at the games because I'm a breeder; and it's indisputable when the white guy sitting next to me is asked, "did ya go to Wake or are you from Winston?". Excuse me?!? It doesn't even cross their mind that I'm an alumna until I say, "no, I graduated in '01 and worked at the university." And the subsequent, "Ohhhh wow!" is even more insulting, like I'm an anomaly. Maybe voluntarily trekking to god awful Tallahassee in September is, but not being a black female with a degree from WF. There are a lot of us--doctors, lawyers, artists, CMOs, bankers :thumbsup: I had a partial merit scholarship and my parents paid the rest of my COA, so I earned my spot and my parents paid for me to attend this university. I've been a Deac fan since I was four years old and saw Muggsy playing.

Fortunately, these unconscious biases haven't deterred me from loving and supporting Wake as much as I do. I still go to the Charlotte events if I'm in town and the Deac Club tailgates at the away games. I won't let the arrogance of those who would dismiss the experiences of the underrepresented because it doesn't apply to them deter me (and make no mistake, it's nothing less than arrogance...always is in a environment where affluence controls and entitlement runs rampant, which is why racial, religious, socioeconomic and regional diversity is necessary in a culture like Wake's). I come from a long line of disrupters -- my parents were protesters in the 60s and my dad is still agitating people in his mid-70s. I piss people off weekly--myself included--with uncomfortable truths, and no one's died yet.

Interesting thoughtful comments, Grow a Pair. Glad to hear them and congrats to you on your success in life and thanks for being such a committed Deac fan.

Would you comment on what you would prefer to hear in those situations? None, Ignore you, ask 'did you go to Wake, when', how long have you been a fan, what was your major, glad to have you here, did you have to travel far to be here, etc.?

Uhhhh, please don't copy and paste. You can subscribe to the Journal for $5 for 5 months.

I am in Europe. The Journal is blocked.

451: Unavailable due to legal reasons
We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, contact contact@wsjournal.com or call 336-727-7211.

Last edited:
Great article, I'm genuinely proud to have Clawson leading this program and bringing in such high character student athletes.

Interesting thoughtful comments, Grow a Pair. Glad to hear them and congrats to you on your success in life and thanks for being such a committed Deac fan.

Would you comment on what you would prefer to hear in those situations? None, Ignore you, ask 'did you go to Wake, when', how long have you been a fan, what was your major, glad to have you here, did you have to travel far to be here, etc.?

I would like to be asked the same question that the gentleman beside me and the two young ladies in front of me are asked when striking up conversation -- "did you go to Wake?" There's absolutely no reason to assume any different when inquiring with me. That question usually results in the follow-up questions of year/major/occupation/city of residence/common acquaintances, all of which I'm more than happy to answer. I absolutely love meeting fellow Deacs, but I've never once asked another person--black or white--who wasn't wearing a player's # if they had a son on the team. Intuitively, that's maybe third or fourth on my association list. When the first question is "which one is your son?" the unfiltered part of my brain wants to say, "oh naw sir, since I could read and write, massah let me go to the big fancy school, too!":bowdown:

Great article, I'm genuinely proud to have Clawson leading this program and bringing in such high character student athletes.

Totally agree. Like others here, I was on the Pete Lembo bandwagon when we hired Clawson. Lembo may be a great guy, but we are so fortunate to have Clawson. He is on a whole another level.

Back