• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Examining racial inequality through the lens of Wake football players

if (universal) you are actually that ignorant or inconsiderate of how your words impact others, in this case peoples of color, perhaps a checklist isn't such a bad idea. I don't say that from a position of high ground that I don't have bias. I know that I do. Acknowledging and confronting those biases is insightful. "Why do I think or feel that way in that situation? Why did I assume that about that person?'. I learn about myself and i think also about other people. It is even better when you have the opportunity to have dialogue with others. Some are offering that here, despite how exhausted they must be with this. If you are a white person with black people sharing their experience, I would encourage you to hear it as they live it. How do you relate or connect to that? If your first question is some fashion of how they might be overreacting or "assuming too much", you aren't doing it right and you will stay more ignorant than you need to. At least ask more about their experience before you start passing judgement on the validity of their position. We are all at different levels on this. Wherever you are, there is a next level. Try to get there in a compassionate fashion. Dismissing someone else's experience is not going to get you there.

Grow and Magic, thank you for being willing to participate with a bunch of anonymous posters, but also fellow Deacs.

We are all stereotypes

if (universal) you are actually that ignorant or inconsiderate of how your words impact others, in this case peoples of color, perhaps a checklist isn't such a bad idea. I don't say that from a position of high ground that I don't have bias. I know that I do. Acknowledging and confronting those biases is insightful. "Why do I think or feel that way in that situation? Why did I assume that about that person?'. I learn about myself and i think also about other people. It is even better when you have the opportunity to have dialogue with others. Some are offering that here, despite how exhausted they must be with this. If you are a white person with black people sharing their experience, I would encourage you to hear it as they live it. How do you relate or connect to that? If your first question is some fashion of how they might be overreacting or "assuming too much", you aren't doing it right and you will stay more ignorant than you need to. At least ask more about their experience before you start passing judgement on the validity of their position. We are all at different levels on this. Wherever you are, there is a next level. Try to get there in a compassionate fashion. Dismissing someone else's experience is not going to get you there.

Grow and Magic, thank you for being willing to participate with a bunch of anonymous posters, but also fellow Deacs.

you are actually that ignorant or inconsiderate of how your words impact others, in this case peoples of color, perhaps a checklist isn't such a bad idea.

Sorry, but I don't care for the term 'people of color' and no, a checklist is a conversation stopper. As a retired counselor I found it easy to get people to share their thoughts and feelings. One, a Vietnam vet, who didn't want to talk about Nam, actually opened up....and he was a black soldier. This is my last response concerning this topic since some of my points have been proven.....On to the fractured season.

History would like to return to a sports discussion that erases race so that he doesn't have to consider or be critical of his position.

And yet so many posters here still approve of the athletes being used by Wake Forest and the NCAA as "student athletes" and not being fairly compensated for their work.

Disgusting IMO.

What kind of (ex-)counselor rejects the emotional impact of people assuming a Black woman is a football player's parent or girlfriend because they don't like the term "microaggression?" That's a shocking lack of empathy for someone who (apparently) carries that title proudly. Do better.

Just read the article. For anyone who was wondering, like I was, but didn't want to ask or do the Googling, no, the Derrick S. Hicks mentioned is not the former big man from the early-mid 90s.

Kory

What kind of (ex-)counselor rejects the emotional impact of people assuming a Black woman is a football player's parent or girlfriend because they don't like the term "microaggression?" That's a shocking lack of empathy for someone who (apparently) carries that title proudly. Do better.

I was not going to comment on this topic but you deserve an answer: Speaking of emotional impact: please consider the emotional impacts of depression, anxiety disorders, paranoia and a variety of psychotic disorders. A former client of mine who believed that her head was newly attached is in deeper trauma than a black woman at a football game.

have a good week.....

Both are valid and should be considered. You have established a hierarchy solely for the purpose of dismissing one. I might expect that from an average citizen, but if you're truly approaching this from a mental health perspective that's absolutely despicable.

Imagine a mental health practitioner who thinks the subject is fractured only in grand, singular moments -- that breaks from reality only occur in exceptional situations -- that repeated and direct questions that stand in stark opposition to your very identity ("are you dating one of the players," "is your son out there") are so far beneath the level of DSM-5 diagnoses that they cannot result in trauma formation and thus should be disavowed or ignored. Imagine ranking or disputing what a client or analysand tells you is affecting them.

What an awful practice.

I was not going to comment on this topic but you deserve an answer: Speaking of emotional impact: please consider the emotional impacts of depression, anxiety disorders, paranoia and a variety of psychotic disorders. A former client of mine who believed that her head was newly attached is in deeper trauma than a black woman at a football game.

have a good week.....

when you were a counselor, did you pit your clients' mental health struggles against each other to see who was most deserving of your support?

Somehow History2001 thinks he's brilliant for criticizing microaggressions for being small yet he doesn't realize that even small things add up.

I'm curious why Dutch Deacon 65 felt like he needed a name change.

Okay, your turn. When were you in school and what examples did you experience?

2 stand out:

1) Dancing with a girl I knew that was black at a frat party had some really offensive things said to us by some drunk fratstars

2) I was the 2nd best bowler during my time at wake and the best bowler was black and a local kid. So he used to take me to local tournaments and I went pretty much every saturday morning, at Northside lanes which I think is like a mile or two from campus. And there's literally 100 people there and I'm literally the only white guy there every week. Just such a striking difference to our ~90% white college just a mile away. You wouldn't think bowling alleys would be so segregated in this century.

Wake was all white for much of its history. First black graduate was in 1964. Black athletes came later in the 60's.

2 stand out:

1) Dancing with a girl I knew that was black at a frat party had some really offensive things said to us by some drunk fratstars

2) I was the 2nd best bowler during my time at wake and the best bowler was black and a local kid. So he used to take me to local tournaments and I went pretty much every saturday morning, at Northside lanes which I think is like a mile or two from campus. And there's literally 100 people there and I'm literally the only white guy there every week. Just such a striking difference to our ~90% white college just a mile away. You wouldn't think bowling alleys would be so segregated in this century.

Did that Black local kid who was the best bowler at Wake in the early 00s just happen to hit clutch baskets tonight vs the Rockets?

Back