• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Examining racial inequality through the lens of Wake football players

CONeill

Reaction score
If you read nothing else of mine for the year/season/whatever, I would implore you to read this.

These are some of the most-impressive young men I've ever covered and I'm grateful to them for sharing their experiences with me. Part of the cruelty of stories like these is I have thousands of words of unused quotes that wind up on the "editing room floor." That feeling is amplified tenfold for this story. So many examples of what these men have gone through were eye-opening for me. And these are only three Black players.

I hope what I was able to fit into the story has the same effect on yall.

If you read nothing else of mine for the year/season/whatever, I would implore you to read this.

These are some of the most-impressive young men I've ever covered and I'm grateful to them for sharing their experiences with me. Part of the cruelty of stories like these is I have thousands of words of unused quotes that wind up on the "editing room floor." That feeling is amplified tenfold for this story. So many examples of what these men have gone through were eye-opening for me. And these are only three Black players.

That was very well done. Thank you and the student athletes for doing this piece.

Simply amazing, Conor. The most meaningful, moving piece about MSD I’ve ever read.

I want to know who the dumb white guy is with enough unearned confidence to stand up and tell a bunch of football players that they are full of shit after they have shared genuine emotions about their experiences

One of the things that came from last spring was a community discussion in which Black people at Wake Forest could voice their grievances with how they were treated at the school.

A speaker at the end of the discussion left the biggest impression on Williams.

“At the end of the conversation, after all of the Black people had spoken, there was a white male … (who) had got up and he basically dismissed all of the stories, saying that enough, Wake Forest is fine, all of you guys are overreacting,” Williams says.

I too would be curious about the guy Ja'Cquez referenced. He told me he couldn't remember his name.

Appreciate the feedback here. Hopefully things change -- it's interesting to me that the two most-common responses I've seen (not here, but Twitter and Facebook) are either: A) things haven't changed in the X-years since I went to Wake or B) this was not the case X-years ago when I was at Wake, athletes were revered.

Also, appreciate the neg rep, simosfrostyone. Pretty sure it's the first I've ever received here. Also whether sarcastic or not, that's the first time I've ever been told I'm "woke."

I too would be curious about the guy Ja'Cquez referenced. He told me he couldn't remember his name.

Appreciate the feedback here. Hopefully things change -- it's interesting to me that the two most-common responses I've seen (not here, but Twitter and Facebook) are either: A) things haven't changed in the X-years since I went to Wake or B) this was not the case X-years ago when I was at Wake, athletes were revered.

Also, appreciate the neg rep, simosfrostyone. Pretty sure it's the first I've ever received here. Also whether sarcastic or not, that's the first time I've ever been told I'm "woke."

I think there was video online last year of this town hall event, including the guy that they’re referencing. If I’m remembering correctly, he looked a bit older, like maybe a grad student. He received a pretty negative response, rightfully so.

Maybe I was just too drunk or oblivious, but I never saw/heard any racism in my four years at Wake. Go ahead, fire away!

Simos so scared he won’t even post anymore. Only lurk. What a brave patriot. A perfect representation of a Trump fan.

Maybe I was just too drunk or oblivious, but I never saw/heard any racism in my four years at Wake. Go ahead, fire away!

I think the point is that your experience is not everyone's experience. And if someone shares their story, it's pretty shitty to say "Well I never saw any racism, your interpretation of that experience must be wrong"

Great article Conor. And glad you posted it here to help weed out the racist tools among us.

Point of contention...i def neg repped you for your [name redacted] stuff at one point 

Well, one condition certainly contributes to the other, but that is hard to believe. I am a 70s Deac and I can remember multiple instances. I was at an off-campus party watching the 1978 ACC Tournament Championship Game in which Wake played Duke where one guy said Duke had “re-nigged” when they substituted one black player for another. That same guy later said he wished things were still segregated like they were when he was a kid. That guy was a Wake Forest student.

I can remember many others.

Great article Conor. And glad you posted it here to help weed out the racist tools among us.

Point of contention...i def neglected you for your [Redacted] stuff at one point 😂

hahaha oh that's right ... glad we've moved past that MTOW.

I think the point is that your experience is not everyone's experience. And if someone shares their story, it's pretty shitty to say "Well I never saw any racism, your interpretation of that experience must be wrong"

I simply stated that I never saw or heard any. I am not responding to anyone's story.

I simply stated that I never saw or heard any. I am not responding to anyone's story.

This thread is about an article where football players tell their stories. Your response was “I never saw or heard racism”. Centering your own experience in contrast to the ones in the article.

This thread is about an article where football players tell their stories. Your response was “I never saw or heard racism”. Centering your own experience in contrast to the ones in the article.

Okay, your turn. When were you in school and what examples did you experience?

Back