• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

Normally, yes, but after these revelations I wonder if the press wouldn't start asking him some questions whether he agreed to answer or not. Having said that, I was joking about his being in hiding - my guess is that not only is he aware of his wife's activities, he likely agrees with them.

Yep. That would be an exceptionally dysfunctional marriage for her to be communicating like that if he was not in support of that message. If he doesn’t have that dysfunctional marriage, then fuck him and I hope he dies soon. If it is that dysfunctional, then he needs to leave that evil woman.

I think the best part of KBJ’s credentials is that she’s actually represented a poor person and tried a case.

Yep. That would be an exceptionally dysfunctional marriage for her to be communicating like that if he was not in support of that message. If he doesn’t have that dysfunctional marriage, then fuck him and I hope he dies soon. If it is that dysfunctional, then he needs to leave that evil woman.

I've always gotten the impression from Thomas that he has never gotten over the Anita Hill hearings and is still extremely bitter about them. He was appointed to the Court anyway of course, but he's always been under a cloud of suspicion ever since, and he gives the sense of man who is just longing for payback on liberals. And it looks as if his wife not only agrees with him, but that she's a batshit crazy true believer besides.

I've always gotten the impression from Thomas that he has never gotten over the Anita Hill hearings and is still extremely bitter about them. He was appointed to the Court anyway of course, but he's always been under a cloud of suspicion ever since, and he gives the sense of man who is just longing for payback on liberals. And it looks as if his wife not only agrees with him, but that she's a batshit crazy true believer besides.

Great point

I laughed my ass off when I heard Blackburn ask that question obviously working toward a line of questioning the much smarter KBJ wanted no part of.
Always amazed how politicians continually believe they are the smartest people in the room. Sadly, it is rare that any of them are but Blackburn, Cruz, Hawley and Graham lead the list of dumb SOB's.
I also never realized that being pro business was a reason to disqualify a SC nominee.

Cruz and Hawley are highly intelligent. Instead of acting like it, they cater to the brainwashed masses that make up the majority of Trump's base. It's all pandering to morons.

Thomas wasn't satisfied with his job prospects upon graduating from Yale Law, and he has told the story of putting a fifteen cent price sticker on his diploma. He's a bitter lunatic and a horrible justice. This story deserves it's own thread BTW.

The ultimate payback for the Anita Hill hearings would be to orchestrate a plan to remove the man who ran those hearings from office, Joe Biden.

As a Missouri prosecutor, Josh Hawley sentenced a violent sex abuser cop to probation instead of jail time.

https://www.nationalmemo.com/hawley-prosecutor-sex-abuse

In January 2021, the Kansas City Star published a guest column by Pam Hamilton, a former Hawley appointee who questioned his handling of human trafficking cases. "I was on Josh Hawley’s human trafficking task force," the headline of Hamilton's story read. "He sought TV cameras, not justice."

One prosecution Hawley did handle as attorney general was a 2018 sexual abuse and domestic assault case against former Knox County Sheriff Robert Becker. According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol's probable cause statement, Becker was charged with violent sexual encounters against his former partner, who alleged he "choked" her with a shirt in one instance.

Instead of bringing the case to trial, Hawley agreed to a plea deal in which Becker served no jail time and instead received two years of probation and resigned his office.

Hawley is a self serving piece of shit who should not be respected by any serious person. But attacks like that plea deal are not fair. We don’t know how strong the evidence and defenses were. We don’t know the likelihood of prevailing at trial. For all we know, Hawley did a great job of obtaining a resignation, which alone can be bureaucratic hell. He’s awful, and we don’t need to go out of our way to explain why.

LOL. Lawyers gonna lawyer. You don’t have to defend them all. Hawley set himself up by attacking KBJ on sentencing without knowing the evidences and defenses.

Ignoring the ad hominem attack, my advice would be to take the high road and not stoop to their level. It’s dumb when he did it and it’s dumb to use it against him. I am pointing out what I, and you, don’t know. But apparently you’re all knowing and despite having never gone to law school feel totally qualified to judge prosecutorial decisions.

You’re looking at this from a legal angle not a social or political angle. It’s important to point out that Hawley and others willfully ignore their basic legal training to appeal to baseless conspiracy theories supported by their base. Doing so rightfully portrays Hawley, Cruz, and that ilk as opportunists who say and do whatever in order to maintain power within an amoral party desperately seeking any moral high ground.

We agree completely on that point, which I made just above. John Kennedy is another hilarious example. These are smart people who have sold their souls for another term in the senate.

Imagine having these as your in-laws. No wonder Thomas looks so grumpy all of the time.

I just read this and had no idea that it happened. In 2010 Ginni Thomas called Anita Hill out of the blue at her college office and left a voicemail asking her to apologize to Clarence for lying about sexual harassment. In her voicemail Ginni said "Good morning, Anita Hill. Its Ginni Thomas. I just wanted to reach across the airwaves and the years and ask you to consider something. I would love you to consider an apology sometime and some full explanation of why you did what you did with my husband. So give it some thought and certainly pray on this, and hope that one day you will help us understand why you did what you did."

Hill at first thought the voicemail might be from a crank and turned it over to campus police, who then gave it to the FBI. Hill responded that she "had nothing to apologize for because she told the truth in 1991, when she testified that Clarence Thomas had sexually harassed her when she worked for him at two federal agencies..."She [Ginni] can't ask for an apology without suggesting that I did something wrong, and that is offensive."

Even the relatives of Ginni Thomas sounded "annoyed" that she had called Hill. Her brother said "“I don’t believe it needs to be in the press in any shape or form...It was very difficult for my mother and father who are now passed away, and I’m sorry that Ginni decided to talk more about it.”

According to a Daily Beast article Ginni Thomas "was an extraordinarily ambitious working woman who opposed abortion and bills like the Family Leave Act, which gave women the ability to take time off after giving birth...as Washington attorney Stephen Smith once put it to The Wall Street Journal, “I always joke with people and say if they think Justice Thomas is conservative, they ought to meet Ginni.” Clarence and Ginni "were known as early risers who liked to run together and pray together at the Truro Episcopal Church, a conservative-leaning place where the majority of worshippers took a “hate the sin, love the sinner” approach to gay rights and the minister was known for delivering sermons about the evils of ending an unwanted pregnancy."

In the early ’80s, [Ginni] had been involved in Lifespring, a self-help group that drew criticism for having cult-like attributes. Though she left it in 1985 and became a fierce public advocate against cult activities, showing up at rallies for the Cult Awareness Network, her history with the group led some to view her as a bit of a flake." I doubt that she has really turned against cults, as she was active in the Tea Party and now she's a full-bore Trumpite and 2020 Stolen Election believer. She's something else, that's for sure.

NPR Article on her call to Hill: https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130688438

Daily Beast Article on Ginni: https://www.thedailybeast.com/clarence-thomas-wife-calls-anita-hill-why-ginni-did-it

Highland back to posting twice I see.

He worked for two justices on the court. Don't be so pettifogging.

Gorsuch clerked for one term. White was retired months before the start of the 1993 term, and any work that gorsuch did for him was in his capacity sitting on a lower appellate court.

Cool word, pettifogging. Never used it myself.

The reason I'm harping on the details is because you were exaggerating gorsuch's experience as part of an argument about his qualifications. So the details matter

Back