• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

the official new supreme court thread - Very political

Gorsuch clerked for one term. White was retired and any work that gorsuch did for him was on his capacity sitting on a lower appellate court.

Though he worked in the chambers of Justice Kennedy as a “step clerk,” as well as for Justice White (retired justices remain entitled to a clerk)

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/03/us/politics/neil-gorsuch-anthony-kennedy-supreme-court.html

Gorsuch, polished and erudite by age 26, was known as a no-nonsense clerk who split his time between Kennedy and retired Justice Byron White from his home state of Colorado. His duties for White at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit kept him away from Washington for much of the time.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...rned-supreme-court-ropes-together/1050836002/

Seriously guy, what are you even arguing over? He clerked for two Justices who sat on the Court, even if he did Appellate Court work for White. One was appointed by a Republican and one was appointed by a Dem. Its still pretty impressive and a shit ton of work however you cut it.

I think this is an important point: that is not "two supreme court clerkships".

This is stupid. You were trying to argue that gorsuch is more impressive than people gave him credit for by referencing his "two supreme court clerkships.

And to support that you just keep quoting snippets from articles that mention he clerked technically for two justices during the 1993-1994 term.

For those of you who are not lawyers interested in the politics here, he was "step" clerk to Kennedy. This means he was hired by White but White retired from the SCOTUS before Gorsuch was employed.

Former justices can retain a clerk (half-time) if they so choose, and White had Gorsuch writing for him while he was living in Denver and sitting on a lower appellate court.

To repeat, White was sitting on a lower appellate court and not SCOTUS.

That's not to say it was not impressive, but it's no more prestigious than anyone else who was hired to clerk for a SCOTUS justice. And it does not count as "two supreme court clerkships"

What it really means is that gorsuch was able to develop connections with multiple justices, as you point out, one associated with each major political party.

Wonder if Jones Day would give a cool million in bonuses for a guy like Gorsuch who had TWO CLERKSHIPS at scotus

I just googled and there's a NYT article literally headlined "How Gorsuch the Clerk Met Kennedy the Justice: A TALE OF LUCK"

Doesn't sound like we should be extra impressed

Anybody who clerked for the justice who wrote the majority opinion on Citizens United, which is the death nail of American democracy, should lose credibility not gain it.

If Thomas resigns/ is impeached, my money would be on Paul Watford from the 9th Circuit. Considering Thomas replaced Marshall, the likelihood is that the administration would feel that a black jurist should continue to hold the seat. He is west coast/ non ivy league so a good balance from KBJ. He's only 54, and has been on the bench since 2012, and was confirmed with bipartisan support.

Keep us posted on Biden replacing Thomas on the bench anytime soon.

if anything, I'm sure this is making Thomas even more resentful and he absolutely has no plans to retire or recuse himself on such matters (and changed his mind if he did).

if anything, I'm sure this is making Thomas even more resentful and he absolutely has no plans to retire or recuse himself on such matters (and changed his mind if he did).

Probably, but if dominos keep falling, connections continue to get established between his wife and the events of January 6th, maybe a text message that implicates him, then he may not have much of a choice. Still early goings, but its nice to think about.

If it gets bad enough for a Supreme Court justice to consider resigning while the other party controls the White House and Senate, then the whole Republican Party will be going down with him. No way will he be a fall guy. He’ll be one of the last dominoes even after Trump.

Yeah, there's no way Thomas will resign as long as Democrats hold the Senate and Presidency. If at all possible he'll hang on until the GOP has the Senate and Presidency again before he might resign. If nothing else it's obvious that his wife would never agree to him resigning under a Democratic administration and Senate.

Why would he ever resign? If there isn’t a threat of Congressional removal, Justices are untouchable. They answer to nobody else.

it's kinda bullshit that recusal is self-policing. I get in part why that is so people don't remove you for no reason, but still there has to be a way to not get him on cases like that.

it's kinda bullshit that recusal is self-policing. I get in part why that is so people don't remove you for no reason, but still there has to be a way to not get him on cases like that.

There was actually early talk that the GOP was gonna hit KBJ on how she recused herself so often, but apparently they thought better of it given recent events.

It’s also a bad strategy because they want a Dem nominated justice to recuse as much as possible.

Should just make it that any two members of the Supreme Court can trigger the recusal of another judge.

Back