• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

How many fifth rounders do you think we can get for out fourth round pick today, #109 ?

I only liked the move as a 1 year stopgap before getting Watson next offseason and thought he was a mild upgrade over Bridgewater. I'd have preferred any of the rookie QBs to him. In 27 games at USC, he had 22 picks and 20 fumbles, 14 lost. It's not just at the previously dysfunctional NYJ that he had ball security problems. He can look perfectly fine some games against mediocre Ds. But against good Ds with creative DCs, he routinely has bad games and turns it over. I liked what I saw from Rhule and Brady last year, and maybe Brady can somewhat fix Darnold. But Darnold has a low ceiling, and I don't see winning playoff games a year or 2 down the road with him at the helm.

So you just don’t like Darnold. I’m fine with that as the explanation. The way I see it, they think he’s good and didn’t see anyone available to them in the draft who they like better.

How many fifth rounders do you think we can get for out fourth round pick today, #109 ?

Have a need at LB? Jabril Cox is probably the most striking name still on the board.

And no, I don't like Darnold as the long term QB option.

Based on the metrics, Teddy B was the middle of the pack QB and Darnold was the worst. Darnold is still young and has a higher ceiling though. But I can see why Teddy B would be pissed that he keeps getting let go in favor of Darnold.

Another trade down. For a team with so many holes they seem determined to not pick anyone to fill them.

This will test Fetterer's ability to make good picks deep in the draft. Hope he lives up to his rep. I am reminded that even during their glory years that the Seahawks did not have strong O-Lines and Russell Wilson used his mobility to extend and create big plays.

I like the Marshall pick but I'm concerned it cost us value in the subsequent picks. Hope I am wrong.

I just haven’t really had time to post. Got the info on what happened with missing out on the trade back. It’s pretty much what you would expect but they were bummed. Belechick is just smart and knows what he’s doing. Bears were all over the Panthers for the 8th pick until things fell like they fell. They don’t understand at all where all the local media especially came up with the Panthers potentially drafting a QB. They never even considered it. Unfortunately none other teams wanting to draft a QB bought it either.

They want players. They feel like you have a better chance of having 5 players stick with 10 choices than you do having 5 stick with 6-7 picks. I was reminded that I would be surprised at how different these NFL teams draft charts look from each other and they definitely differ from Kiper et al. Their TE rankings for example was much different. They think Marshall is a 1st round talent and Brady should know I guess. They love Christensen and had him ranked near the top of the OL.

I was surprised to find out that Belechick was happy with either Jones or Fields. I think Jones was their preference but they would have grabbed Fields too. The Panthers as I said earlier were not impressed with Fields at all.

I did talk yesterday which surprised me. I never have anything to write with when I talk because I’m an idiot. Ask me anything and I’ll be happy to do my best. Certainly, we don’t cover everything when we chat and we don’t chat for long.

Like the Hubbard pick. Dudes a stud and a great receiving threat as well. Our backup RBs on the roster were pretty comically bad.

I think the majority of my frustrations just came from not being able to get a trade down with that first pick. It sounds like the Panthers were equally frustrated. Having said that, after crushing an all D draft last year, I trust Rhule and Brady WAY more to evaluate offense. So I'm excited to see what they see in these guys.

We've got 3 sixth round picks, so get ready for some serious flyers. Our philosophy would suggest that we think at least one of those guys is going to be a major contributor.

Last edited:
How significant can having five picks on Day 3 be for the Panthers? Looking back at the four teams that made the conference championships last season, 28 of the 88 players who started the AFC and NFC title games came from rounds 4-7, according to ESPN Stats and Info. That's eight more than were selected in the first round and two more than were selected in the second and third rounds.

Per espn and David Newton. Guess we’ve bought into that.

They had a stat earlier today that said two thirds of nfl rosters come from players drafted after the third round or not drafted at all.

Keith Taylor. CB Washington. Doesn’t sound great. Guess we’ll see.

Pre-Draft Analysis
Taylor is a tall and lean corner with average top-end speed and shorter arms for his frame. He's instinctive with good balance in underneath coverage. He's tough and doesn't shy away from contact, but he's an erratic open-field tackler in run support and after the catch. -- Steve Muench

Official 2021 Carolina Panthers - 1st round CB Jaycee Horn

How significant can having five picks on Day 3 be for the Panthers? Looking back at the four teams that made the conference championships last season, 28 of the 88 players who started the AFC and NFC title games came from rounds 4-7, according to ESPN Stats and Info. That's eight more than were selected in the first round and two more than were selected in the second and third rounds.

Per espn and David Newton. Guess we’ve bought into that.

So 20 in the first round, 25 in the second and third, 28 in 4-7, and 15 UDFAs. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounders are much better bets to be successful.

1/3 of NFL rosters coming from the first three rounds means 1/3 of the roster comes from a pool of like 3.2 players per year. 2/3 comes from a pool of around 4.5 picks and 10+ UDFAs. It’s similar to comparing how 5* and 4* players do in college.

Obviously we don’t know if obsessively trading down will work or not. We do know each player comes with more risk although it’s unclear how much more risk. And it requires really good scouting to claim everybody else passed on a guy who will pay off. Therefore calling someone a genius for just trading down without regard for scouting is silly. I’ll remain skeptical until we see what happens. If the goal is to get 5 guys to stick on the roster, I’d prefer optimizing odds of success rather than spreading out risk.

Last edited:
It’s pretty funny to compare all the negative reactions here to some pretty overwhelming positive reactions on reddit. IMO anyone declaring with confidence that what a team does in rounds 2-7 is great or terrible is overreacting

(193) Deonte Brown Guard Alabama. You’re unlikely to hear me complain about taking an Alabama O-Lineman.

Pre-Draft Analysis
Brown is a wide-bodied guard and powerful drive blocker who excels in a phone booth and looks to bury his opponent in the run game. He has a powerful punch and rarely gives ground in pass protection. Brown struggles to get into position at the second level in the run game and lacks the lateral agility to mirror in pass protection. -- Steve Muench

Last edited:
(193) Deonte Brown Guard Alabama. You’re unlikely to hear me complain about taking an Alabama O-Lineman.

Pre-Draft Analysis
Brown is a wide-bodied guard and powerful drive blocker who excels in a phone booth and looks to bury his opponent in the run game. He has a powerful punch and rarely gives ground in pass protection. Brown struggles to get into position at the second level in the run game and lacks the lateral agility to mirror in pass protection. -- Steve Muench

916 pass blocking snaps
0 sacks allowed

Uhhh yeah I’ll take that in 6th...

We’ve at least addressed every need already. Could have used some linebackers, but I wouldn’t want to give up what we would have had to early to do it. Kiper’s #2 available right now is a LB out of Tulane.

Maybe we look for another TE or QB flyer here late? Or maybe just OL/DL and DB depth.

Last edited:
Back