• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

Ban is literally a synonym of remove.

I don't really give two shits about this story, but my understanding is that the book (Maus) was "removed" from the curriculum but not "banned" from the library. Same as the To Kill a Mockingbird Story I posted. Assuming that's true--and feel free to correct me if it isn't--"removed" and "banned" are indeed very different things.

I don't really give two shits about this story, but my understanding is that the book (Maus) was "removed" from the curriculum but not "banned" from the library. Same as the To Kill a Mockingbird Story I posted. Assuming that's true--and feel free to correct me if it isn't--"removed" and "banned" are indeed very different things.

hm, do all their library books receive a similar discussion/vote whenever they are added or removed from the library?

TKAM was removed from the mandatory curriculum but teachers could still use it. Maus is no longer allowed to be used period, if I’m reading this correctly.

It wouldn’t be hard to find what other texts schools are using to teach the Holocaust at grade level. There are plenty of content experts in the schools.

Night is probably the best one but the teacher would have to explain a whole bunch of Jewish stuff getting started.

This is incorrect and I'm not particularly shocked that you don't care about removing Holocaust-related literature from schools.

I grew up Jewish in the South, an experience that made life at school a living hell through middle school. Believe me, I know how some of y'all think about us.

From the Granbury Independent School District in Texas. The books are among the 850 recommended for removal from schools by Texas state legislator Matt Krause because they "might make students feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress because of their race or sex."

Last edited:
This is incorrect and I'm not particularly shocked that you don't care about removing Holocaust-related literature from schools.

I grew up Jewish in the South, an experience that made life at school a living hell through middle school. Believe me, I know how some of y'all think about us.

This isn’t about you, RJ. My lack of interest in this has nothing to do with the subject matter of the book.

My lack of interest in this has nothing to do with the subject matter of the book.

Then what does it have to do with, Junebug? It must be nice to not really care much about the subject matter and its representation in the education system.

They're not replacing the book with a different literary representation of the Holocaust. Children in this district will simply not engage with literary representations of the Holocaust.

Want to bet how that shapes Jewish kids' experiences of the education system?

Junebug is rarely interested in topics aside from misplaced white rage or defending white supremacy. Even then, it's a "see, the system worked" in a rare case where a cop or white aggressor is punished for killing someone.

Junebug is rarely interested in topics aside from misplaced white rage or defending white supremacy. Even then, it's a "see, the system worked" in a rare case where a cop or white aggressor is punished for killing someone.

it's why he can so confidently tell a Jewish dude and a Black dude that their concerns, grounded in both lived experience and empirical expertise, don't mean shit to him on a Wake Forest message board

That's a key element of white supremacy. His concerns are more important than the concerns of others.

New article out just today: "Books on race, gender pulled from schools amid conservative push against 'radical' literature". I thought we were assured by certain posters that these CRT laws wouldn't have this affect on public schools.

"Attempts by conservative activists to regulate how schools discuss race, sexuality and gender have contributed to an ongoing effort to remove books seen as controversial from school curricula and libraries.

The most recent high-profile example was Art Spiegelman’s award-winning “Maus,” a graphic novel that depicts the horrors of the Holocaust, being removed from a Tennessee eighth-grade language arts curriculum. The McMinn County School Board voted 10-0 to remove Spiegelman’s book on Jan. 10, but the story began to circulate Wednesday after a report from the Tennessee Holler. According to the minutes from the meeting, the use of curse words and “nakedness” were the impetus for the change. The school board issued a statement Wednesday saying that the decision was not about ignoring the Holocaust but about finding options that were more “age-appropriate” in their content, concluding, "We simply do not believe this work is an appropriate text for our students to study."

Spiegelman said he felt the board’s action was “daftly myopic” but, having read the transcript, didn’t believe the decision was rooted in anti-Semitism. “I’ve met so many young people who ... have learned things from my book,” Spiegelman told CNBC, adding that he understood that something "very, very haywire" was going on in Tennessee.

The Tennessee decision followed news of a Missouri school board voting 4-3 to ban “The Bluest Eye,” a novel by the Nobel laureate Toni Morrison, which depicts the struggles of a young Black girl dealing with racism. Due to its passages referencing incest and child rape, the book is a regular on the American Library Association’s annual lists of most challenged books. It was almost removed from circulation in Kansas in November, along with ‘The Handmaid’s Tale” by Margaret Atwood and “Fences,” the Pulitzer-winning play by August Wilson. Both Morrison and Wilson were Black. “By all means, go buy the book for your child,” said school board member Sandy Garber of Wentzville, Missouri. “I would not want this book in the school for anyone else to see.”

Deborah Caldwell-Stone, director of the American Library Association’s Office for Intellectual Freedom, told Yahoo News that in her two decades with the organization she has not seen this many “challenges,” the ALA’s term for requests to remove books...“You have these — they call themselves parents’ rights organizations — pursuing this censorship agenda and arguing that censorship is the proper solution, but once you start using book banning as a tool, where does it end?” Caldwell-Stone said. “So you end up with work like ‘Maus’ being on the chopping block, so what comes next?”

With Republican-controlled states passing laws aimed at preventing the teaching of Critical Race Theory, it is sometimes now easier for groups of parents to target specific texts. According to tracking by PEN America, 71 “gag order” bills have been introduced this month that would limit topics that can be taught in schools.

The movement to remove books from libraries and schools is organized by groups like Moms for Liberty, which has pushed to remove works about Martin Luther King, Jr., from curricula and has ties to prominent Republicans like Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis. Another organization involved is No Left Turn in Education, which has dozens of books listed on its website that it claims “spread radical and racist ideologies to students. They demean our nation and its heroes, revise our history, and divide us as a people for the purpose of indoctrinating kids to a dangerous ideology.” The books listed are predominantly written by nonwhite authors, and on the same page, the group includes books that discuss LGBTQ themes and feature LGBTQ characters. Titles on the list include Ibram X. Kendi’s “How to Be an Antiracist,” Angie Thomas’s “The Hate U Give” and Sarah Hoffman’s “Jacob’s New Dress.”

“Some of this has been organized around, frankly, a very cynical campaign to vilify materials dealing with racism in the United States and the experiences of Black Americans, particularly their experiences with police violence and systemic racism, under this rubric of critical race theory,” Caldwell-Stone said. “We’re also seeing organizations who believe that young people should not have access to information about gender or sexual identity.”

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/books-on-race-gender-pulled-from-schools-amid-conservative-push-against-radical-literature-100038361.html

Back