• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

You know the author himself said there wasn’t a “hint” of anti-Semitism in what the school board did, right?

You also understand that the author called the board move "daftly myopic" and added that something was "very, very haywire" in Tennessee? Not exactly a vote of confidence in the school board. I also believe he said some other critical things about the school board decision in another interview.

Not that people who aren’t in a marginalized group would understand, but sometimes people don’t say racists are racists as a form of self-preservation as to not place a target on themselves. I would imagine a Jewish author whose book just got banned as part of a broad white supremacist movement could make such a business decision.

Not that people who aren’t in a marginalized group would understand, but sometimes people don’t say racists are racists as a form of self-preservation as to not place a target on themselves. I would imagine a Jewish author whose book just got banned as part of a broad white supremacist movement could make such a business decision.

That wouldn't exactly be the way to show people you're not a hypocrite. Larry David feels pretty comfortable with telling people to fuck off and the author could have very easily put out a nuanced statement about slippery slope, etc.

That wouldn't exactly be the way to show people you're not a hypocrite. Larry David feels pretty comfortable with telling people to fuck off and the author could have very easily put out a nuanced statement about slippery slope, etc.

What do you think he should have said that would have been more nuanced?

———

"It's leaving me with my jaw open, like, 'What?'" said Spiegelman, 73, who only learned of the ban after it was the subject of a tweet Wednesday – a day before International Holocaust Remembrance Day.

He called the school board "Orwellian" for its action.

Spiegelman also said he suspected that its members were motivated less about some mild curse words and more by the subject of the book, which tells the story of his Jewish parents' time in Nazi concentration camps, the mass murder of other Jews by Nazis, his mother's suicide when he was just 20 and his relationship with his father.

"I've met so many young people who ... have learned things from my book," said Spiegelman about "Maus." The image in the book that drew objections from the board was of his mother.

"I also understand that Tennessee is obviously demented," said Spiegelman. "There's something going on very, very haywire there."

————

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/26/ten...s-holocaust-comic-maus-by-art-spiegelman.html

Larry David is in a somewhat unique social position, wouldn’t you say?

Larry David is in a somewhat unique social position, wouldn’t you say?

Strick, you should be more like that famous Jewish guy who has the big HBO deal.

Seems like a thoughtful poster could see the context of the authors comments and get the gist of what the author really thinks of the banning, as well as consider the overall absurdity of the larger movement to ban books, rather than parse whether or not a specific instance was specifically referred to as anti-Semitic.

What do you think he should have said that would have been more nuanced?

———

"It's leaving me with my jaw open, like, 'What?'" said Spiegelman, 73, who only learned of the ban after it was the subject of a tweet Wednesday – a day before International Holocaust Remembrance Day.

He called the school board "Orwellian" for its action.

Spiegelman also said he suspected that its members were motivated less about some mild curse words and more by the subject of the book, which tells the story of his Jewish parents' time in Nazi concentration camps, the mass murder of other Jews by Nazis, his mother's suicide when he was just 20 and his relationship with his father.

"I've met so many young people who ... have learned things from my book," said Spiegelman about "Maus." The image in the book that drew objections from the board was of his mother.

"I also understand that Tennessee is obviously demented," said Spiegelman. "There's something going on very, very haywire there."

————

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/26/ten...s-holocaust-comic-maus-by-art-spiegelman.html

That's the other interview I was referring to above. I didn't remember that it was CNBC, but I knew I'd seen it somewhere. Whether he feels it's anti-Semitic or not, calling the board move Orwellian and demented is still pretty strong stuff.

You have seen the way Native Americans and the colonization of the Americas are depicted and your issue is with the 1619 project? You really are obsessed.

Just a reminder that the Nazis drew inspiration from slavery, treatment of Native Americans, and Jim Crow laws in the US.
https://www.history.com/news/how-the-nazis-were-inspired-by-jim-crow

In particular, Nazis admired the Jim Crow-era laws that discriminated against Black Americans and segregated them from white Americans, and they debated whether to introduce similar segregation in Germany.
Yet they ultimately decided that it wouldn’t go far enough.
“One of the most striking Nazi views was that Jim Crow was a suitable racist program in the United States because American Blacks were already oppressed and poor,” he says. “But then in Germany, by contrast, where the Jews (as the Nazis imagined it) were rich and powerful, it was necessary to take more severe measures.”
Because of this, Nazis were more interested in how the U.S. had designated Native Americans, Filipinos and other groups as non-citizens even though they lived in the U.S. or its territories. These models influenced the citizenship portion of the Nuremberg Laws, which stripped Jewish Germans of their citizenship and classified them as “nationals.”

It’s almost like attacking Black scholarship results in attacking Black scholars, which is the point.

Why am I not surprised? Guy who spoke up (with the local Parent Association President standing with him) in favor of banning books with "sexual acts" in school libraries is charged with child molestation.

When high school students spoke against banning books at the school board meeting, Utterback gave this all-too-revealing statement - "You know, I definitely understand their struggles. It's not lost on me," Utterback told KMBC. "Those conversations are to be had at home and only I have the intimate understanding of what is and isn't appropriate for my children." Right. If it wasn't for those devil school books he wouldn't be molesting kids!

Back