• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

The party of projection strikes again. I wonder if this guy got into "Pizzagate," too.

Why am I not surprised? Guy who spoke up (with the local Parent Association President standing with him) in favor of banning books with "sexual acts" in school libraries is charged with child molestation.

When high school students spoke against banning books at the school board meeting, Utterback gave this all-too-revealing statement - "You know, I definitely understand their struggles. It's not lost on me," Utterback told KMBC. "Those conversations are to be had at home and only I have the intimate understanding of what is and isn't appropriate for my children." Right. If it wasn't for those devil school books he wouldn't be molesting kids!

Point still stands.

And the book banning wave reaches NC. Haywood County Superintendent orders MLK-themed novel Dear Martin pulled from a High School English class after a parent complains about its "explicit language." The teacher apparently offered an alternative novel for the parent's child to read but that wasn't good enough for the parent, who wanted it removed completely. The Haywood County Superintendent ordered the book to be removed from the class despite admitting that he hadn't read all of it, had only discussed its contents with "some people", and hadn't discussed its use with the teacher of the class.

This same superintendent, Bill Nolte, has had some controversy in the past. He was temporarily suspended after what some called a racist facebook post (and he defended himself by saying that he wasn't a racist because his "first college roommate who was a dear high school friend who was black.") His abrupt decision apparently violated his school system's policy on parental complaints and removing books.

At least we have Cooper through 2024 to keep this from happening on a statewide level - I hope.

This guy is a school superintendent? His goal must be to keep children as stupid as he is.

Happy Black History Month, Everyone!

“Said there wasn’t a ‘hint’” =/= “doesn’t believe the decision was rooted” in antisemitism.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

my son (and daughter) don't feel guilty that they hurt anyone. they understand racism was pervasive, societal change was needed, and after living through this current iteration of the republican party its clear why. they're good with teaching this, have a pretty good understanding of it, and have a pretty diverse friend group. they have no guilt or anxiety like momma snowflake there.

Jesus. Most of what she complains about is the simple truth - yes the "imagery is highly divisive" as this girl had to have federal marshals for protection for simply trying to go to school. "Angry white people" did gather and call her names, including the n word. White people did want to hurt her, hence the federal marshals for protection. The state police didn't help her, hence the federal marshals. "The crowd seemed ready to kill her" is a simple description of what actually happened. I also love her claim that the book "characterizes whites as mean when 100% of white people weren't like that." This woman needs to just homeschool her kid, as sending them to a diverse school environment is clearly just too much for her to handle, let alone her kid. I'd also love to know how many kids of color in that school have been called the n word or other racial slurs, even at that age.

I'm willing to bet she wouldn't want her kids to read books about white abolitionists or white people who were part of the Civil Rights Movement either.

Protecting white children from the truth about what a Black child experienced is peak white supremacist snowflake BS. They attempting to ban Ruby Bridges’ book is the same energy their predecessors used to ban Ruby herself.

d113bd0e4ba9d8efa0a3468110aa7940.jpg

Last edited:
i'm not saying a 9yo white girl can't navigate their views to that position

i'm just skeptical when I see a parent posting something like that as a direct quote

doubly so when they tag someone with over 500k followers or use a hashtag

feels a bit exploitative too

Oh sure. But as the father of a very thoughtful 9 year old, it's certainly plausible. I could see my son saying something like that.

The quote is a good point though. So it stands regardless.

Agree that the parent seems... icky... even even if the kid said it.

But when you teach children... good things happen. For them.

When your de facto belief is "I'll teach them difficult topics exclusively at home" (sex, drugs, racism, unvarnished history - not just American.) Well, that is a recipe for disaster for those children.

just not a fan of using your kid for Twitter content

but also I'm prepping to teach mass comm tomorrow so

just not a fan of using your kid for Twitter content

but also I'm prepping to teach mass comm tomorrow so

You’re against parents posting what they’re kids say on social media?

this isn't an act of preservation like a photo album or family comm like a small FB network

this is p clearly something else but I'm done with this arg tbh

Back