• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

If you all wanted conservative voices in academia, you do a tremendous job of hiding it. You don't, and we all know it. Feel free to carry on some charade about how there is only one method (legislation) to silence opposing views, and pay no attention to the dozens of other more effective ways. SSDD

Sorry if I missed it, what's your proposal for ideological diversity in academia then? Some sort of affirmative action for people who think taxation is theft?

Sorry if I missed it, what's your proposal for ideological diversity in academia then? Some sort of affirmative action for people who think taxation is theft?

I don't think we need any. Academia is digging its own grave. I'm happy to be a bystander while nature runs its course.

I think higher education in America is on a crash course right now, but not for ideological reasons. Anyway, it tracks that you'd take your multiple higher ed degrees and laugh when the ladder gets pulled out for future generations.

I think higher education in America is on a crash course right now, but not for ideological reasons. Anyway, it tracks that you'd take your multiple higher ed degrees and laugh when the ladder gets pulled out for future generations.

The difference is the wood on the ladder is now rotten. It is collapsing for structural failures of design and by mismanagement, not from outside forces.

Hm, you don't think access to low-interest, near subprime lending rates for students (paired with institutional, not tied to inflation or wage growth tuition) is an outside force?

Hm, you don't think access to low-interest, near subprime lending rates for students (paired with institutional, not tied to inflation or wage growth tuition) is an outside force?

Or major cut backs in funding for public universities by state legislatures over the last 25 years?

Lol at the idea that CRT needs to improve its "messaging". I hope academia does deconstruction next, 'cause its messaging sucks too.

Uh-huh. Even if we afford you clowns the benefit of the doubt that you have an ounce of commitment to balance, by the time your messaging crowd gets done fucking it up it will be some warmed over version of Coca-Cola's employee training. Pass.

what the fuck are you talking about?

Whoa, in that scene from "Black Sheep" where Chris Farley was backstage at Rock the Vote getting high with the Jamaicans, were they discussing Critical Race Theory ?

2:10 mark.

Uh-huh. Even if we afford you clowns the benefit of the doubt that you have an ounce of commitment to balance, by the time your messaging crowd gets done fucking it up it will be some warmed over version of Coca-Cola's employee training. Pass.

it could be that i'm an idiot, but i don't understand any of this

I don't think we need any. Academia is digging its own grave. I'm happy to be a bystander while nature runs its course.

Oh look another concerned conservative with no plan on how to correct the thing that they are "outraged" about.

If the solution isn't to make more guns or to be a bigger bigot, then you ignorant mother fuckers have ZERO ideas.

This is an interesting point, which I will grant you is external.

I'd be interested in a separate discussion about whether those rates are appropriate (I think they are too favorable, given the diminishing value of the degree itself, liberal underwriting guidelines and nondischargeability of the debt in bankruptcy).If anything, this money needs to be harder to borrower, so that people are more careful with it. Clearly, the Universities have been poor stewards of it. But that's another topic for another thread.

The fatal, internal factor is the de-coupling of the production line with the market demands of the end user. Sending highly leveraged graduates out into the world with this little preparation is cruel. It doesn't matter to me if the universities got paid, as the saying goes. It certainly matters to the kids graduating.

guns do seem like a good idea to fix this issue

Florida wants to institute ideological purity tests for faculty and they want students to open carry guns on campus too. I'm sure those are not related.

I got a kick out of how jhmd posted a link to an article from 1999 to support a conservative controversy that just started a few months ago. jhmd, if CRT in education was such a big issue, why didn't Betsy DeVos deal with it?

Florida wants to institute ideological purity tests for faculty and they want students to open carry guns on campus too. I'm sure those are not related.

I got a kick out of how jhmd posted a link to an article from 1999 to support a conservative controversy that just started a few months ago. jhmd, if CRT in education was such a big issue, why didn't Betsy DeVos deal with it?

It isn't a big issue. As has been said many times, we're already teaching these issues in schools now. We're going to continue teaching these issues in schools. These laws are toothless, empty gestures. Find another boogeyman.

It isn't a big issue. As has been said many times, we're already teaching these issues in schools now. We're going to continue teaching these issues in schools. These laws are toothless, empty gestures. Find another boogeyman.

then why are your brethren making it a big issue?

then why are your brethren making it a big issue?

Because people do dumb stuff all the time. It is possible for two different people to be doing different dumb stuff at the same time. Unfortunately, there isn't a limit.

In this week's conservative search for ideological diversity:

[h=1]Florida governor: Students will be taught communism is evil[/h]https://apnews.com/article/fl-state-wire-florida-communism-government-and-politics-ab632478e07d7009dc99f553dd32a721

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Civics education will be expanded in Florida, including instruction about communist and totalitarian governments, and state universities will be prevented from quashing conservative ideology under bills Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed Tuesday.
DeSantis signed three bills at a Lee County middle school, two of which dealt with civics education, the other guaranteeing the freedom of expression at state universities.
DeSantis said students need to be taught that communist and totalitarian governments are evil.
“Why would somebody flee across shark infested waters, say leaving from Cuba, to come to southern Florida? Why would somebody leave a place like Vietnam? Why would people leave these countries and risk their life to be able to come here? DeSantis said. ”It’s important that students understand that.”

Back