• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GAMEDAY!

I dont know what looked worse behind center, the Heavy Deac or Leo Kelly. BTW, who did Kern piss off that he doesn't get garbage time snaps? Ke'shawn looks like he is going to be good, Jasheen looks like he is going to be good, and Ja'Sir looks like he is putting it all together this season.

Worried about the running game. Worried what will happen when Jaquarii is getting double covered. Worried about the O-line (really didn't see that coming). Worried about the play-calling.

I know this was a tune up, but this is a team that needs to improve.

I thought AT had a good game, as well as Williams. Moran has some skills, you can tell that from his punt returns. What worries me more than anything with the passing game is protection.

Looked to me like Roberson drew plenty of double teams, I was just glad to see legitimate 2nd and 3rd options look sharp in Perry and Williams. Awful lot of criticism being thrown around for a game that was 28-3 at the half as a season opener...

I'll be curious to see how ODU compares to other bad teams going forward. They literally couldn't pass the ball - when was the last time a starter had a 1.8 QB rating against us? Secondary obviously undersized. But other areas of that team seemed decently legit - an O-line that averaged over 300lbs, solid primary RB, some athletes on the DLine, etc. Normally you see a warmup opponent like this and think you should dominate the line of scrimmage - we didn't, but not sure it's the harbinger of doom some think.

Loved seeing Hartman take his time on that TD pass to Williams instead of rushing it when he broke open. Obviously not gaudy numbers but no turns, efficient, spread it around a bit... Stayed vanilla and didn't take risks scrambling or getting hit. Plenty to clean up - hope we get some more short yardage opportunities against Norfolk State - but seemed encouraging overall. To me, the ceiling has obviously dropped without KW3 and Greene, but maybe not as much as we feared. We'll find out on the 18th...

Looked to me like Roberson drew plenty of double teams, I was just glad to see legitimate 2nd and 3rd options look sharp in Perry and Williams. Awful lot of criticism being thrown around for a game that was 28-3 at the half as a season opener...

I'll be curious to see how ODU compares to other bad teams going forward. They literally couldn't pass the ball - when was the last time a starter had a 1.8 QB rating against us? Secondary obviously undersized. But other areas of that team seemed decently legit - an O-line that averaged over 300lbs, solid primary RB, some athletes on the DLine, etc. Normally you see a warmup opponent like this and think you should dominate the line of scrimmage - we didn't, but not sure it's the harbinger of doom some think.

Loved seeing Hartman take his time on that TD pass to Williams instead of rushing it when he broke open. Obviously not gaudy numbers but no turns, efficient, spread it around a bit... Stayed vanilla and didn't take risks scrambling or getting hit. Plenty to clean up - hope we get some more short yardage opportunities against Norfolk State - but seemed encouraging overall. To me, the ceiling has obviously dropped without KW3 and Greene, but maybe not as much as we feared. We'll find out on the 18th...

I think if Wake had scored on that last play of the first half, or even if we were on the other side of the 50 when the half expired, many of us would have a brighter overview of our overall performance on Friday night. And not b/c it would have been 35 instead of 28 to 3, but everybody knew the game was essentially over at half time, so that final play of the half had the feel of a 10 round boxing match where one guy dominated the entire night but took a few to the chin in the last round, leaving a bad taste regardless of the judges' (or in our case, fans') scorecards. Just a weird sequence both in terms of play calls and execution (cue the Brian Kelly jokes) that had the carryover effect of magnifying other aspects of the game that should have gone better.

Did DL Will Smart play on Friday? Any news on him?

Naw, he wasn't suited up. He got hurt in the first half of fall camp and they're still waiting on him.

His absence along with Tyler Williams is part of the reason Kevin Pointer Jr., the transfer from ULM, is playing.

Naw, he wasn't suited up. He got hurt in the first half of fall camp and they're still waiting on him.

His absence along with Tyler Williams is part of the reason Kevin Pointer Jr., the transfer from ULM, is playing.

How long is Williams supposed to be out.

Absolutely want to see the back up qbs in the 2nd half Saturday if Hartman gets hurt having a serviceable back scared me right now. I think everything else will come together. I also would like to see Jahmal Banks gets a few more targets and get him going this week.

How long is Williams supposed to be out.

Not sure; he had a hard cast on his wrist until the last few days that we were allowed to be at camp. He's had so much trouble staying healthy that I don't think they're going to be able to rely on him once he's back, though -- which makes Pointer and Justin Williams more important.

I watched the game a couple more times. Just gotta say ODU had above average OL and DL. I think they end up pretty good this year. They need a QB.

I watched the game a couple more times. Just gotta say ODU had above average OL and DL. I think they end up pretty good this year. They need a QB.

ODU has been beyond terrible. They were 1-10 in 2019 and didn't have a season last year. Either they have improved a lot or we have a lot of work to do before we start playing conference games.

FYI- ODU's only win in 2019 was over Norfolk State. If we win Saturday we can claim the Tidewater Championship.

Back