• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GAMEDAY!

Definitely miss KW3 in the backfield, but we have 3 good backs right now. They’re all explosive, shifty, and appear to be solid in pass pro. Do wish we had a Carney type back for goal line situations because the wildcat simply isn’t the same without Carney or KW3. I think we will see more goal line packages as the season progresses; no need to show everything in game 1 against a bad team.

Agreed. Nothing methodical. However, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to first game jitters/rust.

Also, we don't have a Scotty Washington, Sage Surratt or Donovan Greene to open up the passing game.

Roberson will get double coverage all season. Morin is steady and Perry looked good, but for our offense to stay as productive as the last few seasons, we will need to find "Sage after Sage", or "Scotty after Scotty"... The light came on for Scotty about this time in A.T Perry's career...hoping it can be him.

Didn't see enough of Banks to have a feeling in positive or negative. Donald Stewart looks to have nice hands, but I don't know if he will be a deep threat for us.

Don't forget this is the first game in 18 plus months with fans. Def some jitters especially from Hartman

Yeah. Nobody throws the ball from the wildcat so every defense knows exactly what's coming. It's a fad that should have passed by now.

Yeah. Shotgun OCs don’t want to change their offense in short yardage or the endzone. As a fan, I’d rather see a QB go under center out of the I-formation and see a QB sneak, FB dive, RB off tackle, and occasional play action to a TE. But whatever.

I get not switching it up. Makes sense. But it seems like a half-measure to go to a wildcat and try to be “heavy” out of a 2-point stance, and eliminating the pass and taking the QB off the field. Just stick with the QB and improve execution and playcalling in short yardage.

One more thing. One complaint about the wildcard is that the defense knows what’s coming. That shouldn’t matter because that’s true in practice as well. Is the wildcat working in practice or did they know it wasn’t effective?

Yeah. Shotgun OCs don’t want to change their offense in short yardage or the endzone. As a fan, I’d rather see a QB go under center out of the I-formation and see a QB sneak, FB dive, RB off tackle, and occasional play action to a TE. But whatever.

I get not switching it up. Makes sense. But it seems like a half-measure to go to a wildcat and try to be “heavy” out of a 2-point stance, and eliminating the pass and taking the QB off the field. Just stick with the QB and improve execution and playcalling in short yardage.

One more thing. One complaint about the wildcard is that the defense knows what’s coming. That shouldn’t matter because that’s true in practice as well. Is the wildcat working in practice or did they know it wasn’t effective?

I don’t love the wildcat, but honestly it has worked better than anything else we’ve tried in the last couple of year for short yardage unless we are in the middle of field and have the full arsenal of passes available.

One complaint I do have about it (other than the fact that it doesn’t seem like we have the ability to run anything else), is that we keep the QB in giving up the advantage of the extra blocker. I could see it if we didn’t make any substitutions, thus not letting the defense make any substitutions, but we sub in a second back, so leaving Sam out wide seems pointless.

Honestly I think its pretty pathetic if you can't teach your QB to take a freaking snap under center and hand the ball off. This "we don't put our QB under center" crap is really stupid. Yeah, the game has changed and trend has been to play a lot out of the gun, but that doesn't mean you have to completely throw out something that has worked for decades in football.

Color guy chewing up the QB on the Redd pick when it bounced on the receiver's hands.

I don’t love the wildcat, but honestly it has worked better than anything else we’ve tried in the last couple of year for short yardage unless we are in the middle of field and have the full arsenal of passes available.

One complaint I do have about it (other than the fact that it doesn’t seem like we have the ability to run anything else), is that we keep the QB in giving up the advantage of the extra blocker. I could see it if we didn’t make any substitutions, thus not letting the defense make any substitutions, but we sub in a second back, so leaving Sam out wide seems pointless.

I thought Hartman was on the sidelines yesterday.

I thought Hartman was on the sidelines yesterday.

He was on the field for at least one Wildcat play I know, maybe the we scored on. Its kind of a wash anyway. If you take the QB out and bring in an extra blocker the defense doesn't have to someone on the QB that is split out wide so you can't just lob it to him.

Last edited:
By the way, for those of you at the game, what was up with the freaky clown mask videos.? They were very odd, although my kid and I also kind of like them.

I went to a really crappy concert (for lack of a worse descriptor) and a game broke out. The volume and endless blathering over the PA system was a major distraction. My gosh that was loud. And constant.

100% this. You could not carry on a conversation with anyone around you b/c the "music" (basically snippets of bass distortion) made it impossible. w/o shouting. And as another poster mentioned about the video clip with the electronic masks, what the hell was that? And don't get me started about the Jim Rhome-wannabe and his in-game "commentary"; what's the point? The whole thing had a BIG3 basketball tournament feel to it, i.e. a desperation attempt to generate "excitement" for the casual fan, while for those there who might be interested, there's 22 guys down on the field running in to each other.

100% this. You could not carry on a conversation with anyone around you b/c the "music" (basically snippets of bass distortion) made it impossible. w/o shouting. And as another poster mentioned about the video clip with the electronic masks, what the hell was that? And don't get me started about the Jim Rhome-wannabe and his in-game "commentary"; what's the point? The whole thing had a BIG3 basketball tournament feel to it, i.e. a desperation attempt to generate "excitement" for the casual fan, while for those there who might be interested, there's 22 guys down on the field running in to each other.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the "Deacon Gameday Live" guy either. Just seems kind of strange. I did like the live shots of the team coming out of the locker room to take the field though.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the "Deacon Gameday Live" guy either. Just seems kind of strange. I did like the live shots of the team coming out of the locker room to take the field though.

Agree. That guy was odd.

Didn’t mind the music, Especially during long TV time out. There were a couple of times I felt the bass was a little heavy, but it wasn’t that bad.

Again, I liked the freaky clown masks. It was just random as shit. Also, for the love of Taron Downey, I don’t know how they got away with someone carrying a sledgehammer, wearing that mask, and slow motion doing the throat slash motion on the video board, but it was ominous AF.

The bass distortion was terrible. I couldn't have a conversation with the person next to me without shouting.

I'm glad that Wake is trying to do something different. While most of it was stuff that I didn't personally care for, I don't think that the target audience for it is middle aged white guys. Which, with this being Wake football, might be a mistake.

One thing that I did find baffling was the seating area behind the East stands. They had a number of comfortable seats and couches around a giant screen that was showing the game. Why would you pay money to be in the stadium just to watch the game on TV?

The main issue with the reporter guy was that he didn’t seem to understand football and messed up a lot.

I'm glad that Wake is trying to do something different. While most of it was stuff that I didn't personally care for, I don't think that the target audience for it is middle aged white guys. Which, with this being Wake football, might be a mistake.

One thing that I did find baffling was the seating area behind the East stands. They had a number of comfortable seats and couches around a giant screen that was showing the game. Why would you pay money to be in the stadium just to watch the game on TV?

This appeared to be a student only tailgate area until after kickoff. Great spot for sorority queens to hold court

My biggest question with the Heavy Deac has been: Don't you have to throw out of it, eventually, to keep defenses honest? But it's not like that question is going to elicit an honest answer from Clawson (or anybody else, for that matter).

"Oh yeah, Conor, we're gonna have Christian Beal-Smith work on his jump-pass this week. And Taylor Morin played some QB in high school, so he's going to be in some short-yardage packages as well."

Thunderbolt made the point I think shouldn't get lost here: Remember the first half of 2019 when they couldn't convert any third-and-short or fourth-and-short situation without throwing a fade to Sage or Scotty, or having Jamie run over Chazz Surratt? Running 11 personnel at the goal line is a fool's errand, so that's why the Heavy Deac was born for the FSU game.

It's become predictable and it's also a problem that Sam is apparently never going to run the ball (which is an issue in its own right). No running QB, no stud WRs who are going to win 70-80% of jump balls, no KW3 who can break 3 tackles on short runs ... I'd say having a solution there is priority No. 1.

Also, to answer Ph's question: Felt like the Heavy Deac worked more often than not in fall camp. Not a ton of success, but not the heaping pile of garbage on display Friday night.

Back