• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GAMEDAY!

Who is our most traditional short yardage back? My preference would be a goal line package with Sam under center, but I realize that’s a fantasy.

Our de facto FB in the wildcat, Connor Hebbeler, transferred to Valpo. That hurts along with losing KWIII.

Last edited:
Who is our most traditional short yardage back? My preference would be a goal line package with Sam under center, but I realize that’s a fantasy.

I mean, CBS, Turner and Ellison are all the same size, around 5-10, 200. Not exactly slight but ...

Ahmani Marshall (6-2, 220) and Quinton Cooley (5-9, 213) give you the best pound-for-pound size. I liked those guys in fall camp, thought Marshall proved to be playable -- they thought highly of Cooley last year, he was No. 3 in the Clemson game. Cooley was the off-ball back on the first failed short-yardage play; either he or Blake Whiteheart missed the assignment on backside block.

Connor Hebbeler was much more valuable than I think most people realized. But he didn't want to just be a specialty package TE for the rest of his college career -- can't really blame him for that, IMO.

Hartman and the passing game will eventually click.

What I was most impressed with was how fast the defense played and they were fast regardless of who the opponent was. I haven’t seen a Wake defense as sideline-to-sideline since Clawsons first year when they had Grobe’s guys and Elko. There is hope

Yeah, this is where all of the safety depth shines. The top 3 corners (Taylor, Carson, Holmes) are really good, but then they can be creative with Greer, Coby Davis deep; Redd, Garnes at the line; Masterson in the box.

And that's without Nick Andersen (hurt) and Zion Keith (didn't play).

Any idea why Keith didn’t ply? Thought he showed signs last year of being an impact player.

Any idea why Keith didn’t ply? Thought he showed signs last year of being an impact player.

We were told last week he was suspended for a game but it was off the record, and they'd announce it 30 minutes before kickoff.

No announcement came before, during or after the game ... so I'm guessing that's on the record now. Was just a one-game suspension.

I'll add that: yes, he looked good at times last year. That was not really the case in fall camp (which is part of why Evan Slocum is a 2nd-team safety).

Obviously the game has morphed away from the fullback or power back, but back in the day you just gave the ball the Chip Rives or Ovie Mughelli within 2-3 yards of the goal line and lined up for the XP. Rives would get 3-5 carries per game, and IIRC he finished his career with the distinction of never being tacked for a loss.

Obviously the game has morphed away from the fullback or power back, but back in the day you just gave the ball the Chip Rives or Ovie Mughelli within 2-3 yards of the goal line and lined up for the XP. Rives would get 3-5 carries per game, and IIRC he finished his career with the distinction of never being tacked for a loss.

Most definitely. And this was a strength. Add Rich Belton, Mike Rinfrette, and Tommy Bohannon to the list.

Which still dumbfounds me why Rives was not called on against App State all those years ago when we needed a yard, and ended up missing a bowl on a missed FG. The guy was money.

Most definitely. And this was a strength. Add Rich Belton, Mike Rinfrette, and Tommy Bohannon to the list.

There's also the psychological impact of just lining up and pushing the other guys back into the end zone, i.e. "ours balls are bigger than yours; deal with it". Just the fact that we had to resort to some gimmicky (and 2 out of 3 times unsuccessful) wildcat formation against an overmatched opponent was probably a win in the minds of the ODU guys down in the trenches, regardless of the play's outcome.

There's also the psychological impact of just lining up and pushing the other guys back into the end zone, i.e. "ours balls are bigger than yours; deal with it". Just the fact that we had to resort to some gimmicky (and 2 out of 3 times unsuccessful) wildcat formation against an overmatched opponent was probably a win in the minds of the ODU guys down in the trenches, regardless of the play's outcome.

Agreed. The wildcat might work again next week. Against FSU and any other legit competition, it has almost zero chance.

Also, I realize we're not going to open up the playbook early in the season but I would love to see our tight ends and backs become much more involved in the passing game. It really helps to keep a defense honest.

We don’t have pass catching TEs. If we had another Cam Serigne, he’d be getting 4-6 targets a game.

We don’t have pass catching TEs. If we had another Cam Serigne, he’d be getting 4-6 targets a game.

Are you saying we have no one who is capable of doing an 8 yard route and catch a football?

The bass distortion was terrible. I couldn't have a conversation with the person next to me without shouting.

Same here but I figured it was that I was sitting in section 8, right by the scoreboard. If so, I'll move to section 2 or 3 next year.

Which still dumbfounds me why Rives was not called on against App State all those years ago when we needed a yard, and ended up missing a bowl on a missed FG. The guy was money.

That sucked balls so hard. The bowl rep was there ready to hand us the invite, all we had to do was beat App and we tied them. No bowl.

I dont know what looked worse behind center, the Heavy Deac or Leo Kelly. BTW, who did Kern piss off that he doesn't get garbage time snaps? Ke'shawn looks like he is going to be good, Jasheen looks like he is going to be good, and Ja'Sir looks like he is putting it all together this season.

Worried about the running game. Worried what will happen when Jaquarii is getting double covered. Worried about the O-line (really didn't see that coming). Worried about the play-calling.

I know this was a tune up, but this is a team that needs to improve.

Back