• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LOUISVILLE at WF, SATURDAY NOON, 12:30 kickoff

I DON'T like Louisville. Like some have already stated, my hate stems from that OB game. Fuck that fan base.

I think if we lost a starting wideout Keshawn Williams would absolutely blow up that game. That dude is going to be good.

I think if we lost a starting wideout Keshawn Williams would absolutely blow up that game. That dude is going to be good.

Yeah that's why I said more than one. Roberson is probably our most talented player and I think we'd be fine offensively if he went down. That certainly wasn't true for Sage Surratt.

Louisville had an 83-yard kickoff return to our 15 to start the second half, and they scored a TD on the next play. This after Newman ended the first half with a red zone interception. Maggio also had a 31-yard punt from our 15 to set up a Louisville field goal. Miserable game.

Despite all of that, our guy Hitman about pulled off one of the most incredible comebacks ever. I think he would've if not for that onside kick BS. CBS clearly has possession of that ball.

Let's smoke these jabronis Saturday.

Yeah that's why I said more than one. Roberson is probably our most talented player and I think we'd be fine offensively if he went down. That certainly wasn't true for Sage Surratt.

Yeah, it's depth and also style of play. Newman threw a lot of jump balls to Sage and didn't have someone else who could replace that ability. Sam relies on finding the open man, and we have multiple guys that get open regularly.

Yeah, it's depth and also style of play. Newman threw a lot of jump balls to Sage and didn't have someone else who could replace that ability. Sam relies on finding the open man, and we have multiple guys that get open regularly.

Yeah that's a fair point. Even still, I think having Banks, Stewart, and Williams as the backup WRs is much better depth than that year when the backups were true freshman Donovan Greene (only played 4 games), Steven Claude, and Roberson.

2019 is an obvious comparison for obvious reasons, but this is a different situation. In 2019, we were 5-0 with a 3 point win at home over Utah State (finished 7-6), 20 point win at Rice (finished 3-9), 6 point at home over UNC (finished 7-6), Elon blowout, and a 3 point win at BC (finished 6-7). We barely hung on to win those games, so losing by 3 to Louisville was just keeping with the trend.

This year, we have two 20+ point name the score conference wins. This is a much better team.

This is a much better team.

Do you think it's a better team because of the talent level or because of the depth? I think it's mostly the depth. I don't think you can make an argument that we have more talented offensive starters now than we did in 2019, and while the defense probably has fewer weak spots in the starting lineup I think there were plenty of really good players on that defense. The main defense is that there's a lot more serviceable players in the 2 deep now than there was in 2019 on both sides of the ball.

I think we're not as talented at the offensive skill positions as 2019, but the defense is better. And the more Ellison breaks out, the better the skill positions look compared to that team.

Clawson said in the press conference yesterday that no defensive player played more than 60 snaps against UVA. Having the ability to rotate like that against a high level offense will only help us avoid injuries later in the season (see: 2019)

This has been already covered, but the 2019 kick coverage team was epically horrible. That contributed to either losing games that WF should not have lost (L'ville) or playing close games (Duke) that should not have been close. This team is vastly deeper.

The 2019 team was like an all-star fantasy team:

Newman
Hartman
KW3
CBS
Carney
Scotty Washington
Surratt
Morin (redshirted, but did play)
Roberson

Last edited:
2019 FEI Special Teams rank: #116 out of 130 (#129 in covering kickoffs)

2021 FEI Special Teams rank: #3 (#25 in covering kickoffs - this includes kicking the ball OOB)

of note, in that overall Special Teams stat, BC is currently #2 in the nation, and Army is #4 (Louisville is #24)

Clawson said in the press conference yesterday that no defensive player played more than 60 snaps against UVA. Having the ability to rotate like that against a high level offense will only help us avoid injuries later in the season (see: 2019)

Of course one reason the coaches are able to rotate is that they're playing with a solid lead.

14, I think the talent is comparable or better and there's more depth. I also think Hartman in 2021 runs a more efficient offense than Hartman or Newman did in 2019, although Newman obviously compensated by making plays with his feet. I can't tell you much about defensive schemes, but this defense looks like a nightmare for QBs. The secondary is obviously improved.

I think this is a better team all around and I think it will prove itself out as we get to the harder games in the schedule. Defense and special teams no brainer, but i think the offense will show itself to be more well rounded and diverse.

Do you think it's a better team because of the talent level or because of the depth? I think it's mostly the depth. I don't think you can make an argument that we have more talented offensive starters now than we did in 2019, and while the defense probably has fewer weak spots in the starting lineup I think there were plenty of really good players on that defense. The main defense is that there's a lot more serviceable players in the 2 deep now than there was in 2019 on both sides of the ball.

Depth had been Wake's bete noir under both Grobe and Clawson. We've generally always had starters who could compete, but no one to really give them a breather, until this year. Next year looks good, too. We lose one tight end on offense, everybody else returns. We only lose a couple on defense. We will get additional depth with the specially added signee numbers and we should attract transfers next year, as well. Overall, things are looking pretty good.

I DON'T like Louisville. Like some have already stated, my hate stems from that OB game. Fuck that fan base.

I had a different experience. Wife and I stayed at a hotel that turned out to be one of Louisville's HQ hotels. Full of Cards. Following the game, they were universally nice. Almost all said they should have lost and would have but for the two fumbles. Several criticized Petrino for not being more gracious to Wake in his postgame presser. We went to the bar for a nightcap and got treated to two rounds. The Louisville fans we encountered were very gracious.

Of course one reason the coaches are able to rotate is that they're playing with a solid lead.

14, I think the talent is comparable or better and there's more depth. I also think Hartman in 2021 runs a more efficient offense than Hartman or Newman did in 2019, although Newman obviously compensated by making plays with his feet. I can't tell you much about defensive schemes, but this defense looks like a nightmare for QBs. The secondary is obviously improved.

You know what helps scheme? Healthy defensive players.

It seems to be forgotten that Wake ran out of safeties and had to play Essang at safety during the bowl game

and that's before you get to Strnad and Masterson(who was a Rover that year) lost midway through, Dicks III who was the backup rover and playing fine, Rondy got hurt in the syracuse game

Dude, I have been in this situation before.

I usually drive like some angry dad in a mini-van and somehow arrive by kickoff. But it is not pretty...

Been there - seems like I can never get to the game early enough.

We have sufficient assets at every position on and off the field to make a deep run the rest of the season. WF has more experienced coaches, more experienced players, more players and quite frankly has more talent than 2019 that has not been on full display yet.

The potential achilles heel is the mental part of the game over the course of a 12 game season. If this team can avoid a mental let down, OR, overcome one, then who knows how far they go.

Lack of well developed quality depth has usually been Wake's Achilles heel. This year, having guys get an extra year because of Covid, Wake has a bunch of older, experienced players. Having those guys should pay dividends for the season.

Back