• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021-22 NBA Offseason Thread - Warriors extend Poole and Wiggins

Still can't believe how much Harden appears to have aged in such a short amount of time.

next year is nice, but i'd be happy to start thinking post-Embiid/Tobias now too. maxey, reed, bassey, joe, springer is a decent core (the latter three not seeing much of the floor just yet). i don't think harden is worth the big spend, but the bigger deal to me is dumping Doc. he can't figure out how to use Harden at all now that his game is less about getting to the rim or threes at a > 40% clip. he's still an elite facilitator, capable of 10 assists per game, and not a skill that i see in great decline if utilized properly. let him legitimately run the offense though if we are entertaining extending him. run more pick and roll with embiid. way too much standing around in the halfcourt, could we attempt a single high screen? you almost never see it. danny and tobias and maxey are all highly capable of catch and shoot threes, but the switchable defenses are rarely having to work too hard to defend them. that's not a harden issue, that's a running offense issue where doc is just not making improvements.

nah, premature to think about post-Embiid life imo

Harden has 13 years in the league and has played a full career worth of minutes. His body is just breaking down. Not to mention he’s overweight and I don’t think he’s much of a workout guy in the off-season or any other time. It looks to me like he doesn’t take care of himself the way someone like him should. The result is he just can’t blow by people anymore.

nah, premature to think about post-Embiid life imo

possibly, and i'm glad he's largely stayed healthy this year, but the model for 7 ft 280 lb guys is generally not a long and productive NBA career. i know he breaks a lot of molds, and i'm grateful for every game i get to watch him, but if i'm running the team, sure you want to extend this window, but you have to be reasonable.

I agree. One comp is Shaq and he played 18 seasons and was pretty healthy during most of that span. And he played all of it under the basket and got hacked constantly. Embiid spends a decent amount of his time on the perimeter.

I hear ya, but I also think if you're goal is to win championships then you need elite top-end talent, so you have to roll with Embiid for your future plans for at least five more years -- he's only 28

if it doesn't work, it doesn't work, but he's your path to a 'ship if it's gonna happen any time soon

When Harden was traded out of Houston, a high profile strip club there had a Harden jersey retirement event. He apparently spent over $1 million there during his time in Houston.

If that's all it takes then I want my jersey retired at Cheetah III in Atlanta from my years living in Atlanta in the 90s. That was back when a million at a strip club was a lot of money.

Last edited:
harden saw lebron was famously spending >$1MM a year on his body and said "he spent it on what now?"

is it still laughable to think that a ben simmons for cj mccollum trade would have been better for the 76ers?

is it still laughable to think that a ben simmons for cj mccollum trade would have been better for the 76ers?

imo yes, practically speaking adding cj does nothing for the sixers championship hopes. a lot more upside with harden.

Official 2021-22 NBA Season Thread - Second Round

Townie really took that Game 1 road L hard. Harden is FINISHED. The post-Embiid era needs to begin. Doom takes. Geez.

I dont think Harden is finished. But I think the way he makes a team better now is as facilitator/distributor now instead of a scorer. 21-8-11 type of guy.

Townie really took that Game 1 road L hard. Harden is FINISHED. The post-Embiid era needs to begin. Doom takes. Geez.

not sure you read what i wrote!

4 second rounds in 5 years is great, i've very much enjoyed the culmination of the process even with its limitations. just so happens we're in a stacked NBA.

i said i'd consider extending harden, just need to dump doc and use him better, and need to start thinking about the next phase (which is what any GM should be doing at this phase of roster construction).

No, not if this is the James Harden the 76ers really traded for.

I mean, even in this state Harden is still more valuable and impactful than McCollum age and contract aside, but McCollum is almost exactly 2 years younger and is under contract for 2 more seasons under the 3-year, $100 million extension he signed a few years ago. Harden, on the other hand, will be a free agent and presumably will ask for the max of what the 76ers can offer and which I believe is 4-years at $223 million.

So the question is would you rather have a 30-year old McCollum signed for 2 years at $69 million or a 32-year old Harden signed for 4 years at $223 million? Harden was, is, would be, and/or would have been the obvious choice if you knew you'd be getting what everyone thought James Harden (still) was coming into this season. My understanding is the 76ers don't have a ton of cap flexibility and likely will more or less have to give Harden the mega extension, but it certainly doesn't feel like the obvious no-brainer it seemed like last summer.

i don't understand why we still do hypotheticals though

did anyone here pretend to know that it would be ben + seth + drummond for harden + millsap? and picks, and that harden would include the option guaranteed? etc. etc.

like how are we supposed to properly evaluate these random hypotheticals?

Do not understand how anyone watching NBA basketball over the last two years would conclude that signing Harden to a 4 year $232 million, after this season, is a good idea.

Back