• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 6: Oregon State Beavers: Friday 9:30 pm - CBS Sports Network DirecTV Ch. 221

In the long run, probably just as well that Marsh got some tough minutes. I’d be worried about hurting his confidence, but he has much more experience than a typical Freshman, so I think it’s icing on the cake to get him those minutes and we still got the W

Marsh is slow reacting to his defensive assignments. But pretty much what should be expected with the amount of time he missed. I think he will contribute once he has more practice time to get in sync with the rest. This should happen during the semester break.

Good win and Forbes is right about a win is a win. Myself, I would like for him to have called a timeout in the second half. He had a few moments like that last year where we needed a timeout to settle the team down and he didn't call-it. Still very happy about the win and on to LSU.

i think he belongs to play through it rather than burning a timeout you will need later coaching school.

Tonight's game should be a useful data point on where Wake will likely finish in the ACC. Win, or even lose in a competitive game and Wake should be solidly middle third, with a chance at upper third. Lose and look bad loosing, and it will be tough to stay in the middle third.

I’d like to see the +/- for this game.

It’s in the PDF box score on the official site. It came down to the bench.

ca76470fe5eca958966dc9fe24c4a07a.jpg

My wife wondered why I couldn't relax being up 20. I've seen this show before. The UNC game in the early 90s where we blew like a 25 point lead scarred me for life.

We were on fire in the first half, so I expected a letdown. What happened was the perfect combination of things:

(1) OSU caught fire. We were not horrific overall on D, they just got hot. We did have some lapses, but our main D issue was in the paint. Walton is slow to move, and really slow to react against any guy who isn't his guy, and soft in general. Sy is too light and soft. Marsh looked lost. This will be an ongoing issue this year.

(2) OSU played great D and we went cold. We were still getting open shots, but missing them, and then there is no question that we started to pucker up once the lead got down to about 10. We take a lot of three pointers and get good looks, but we have no snipers on the team. So again, I feel like this is going to be a problem this year, especially with nobody in the middle to go to for offense. Our interior offense is going to consist of Williams driving or LaRavia posting up and doing his best McHale impression.

(3) We do this weird thing where we get the ball into the post and then clear out one entire side of the floor and I don't know why we do it. We put four guys on one half of the floor, which greatly narrows and limits your passing lanes if Walton or whoever needs to pass out of it. It effectively puts more pressure on the post man to put up the shot, no matter how well defended.

The good? Again, it was more of what we have seen this year. Really good team ball, except at the end when we really relied on Williams, probably out of necessity. We had less idiocy passing the ball. Still plenty of confidence handling the ball in general. I really like that we have 4 guys who can score and a few guys we can bring off the bench and not see much dropoff.

It’s definitely nice to have several competent ball handlers.

I rewatched the game. We could have easily gone to a zone and we didn’t. Forbes clearly knows that, IMHO. I think he wants us to play man defense really well and then we may mix in some zone. Same thing goes for any kind of press we might want to implement.

It was almost a test and he wanted us to fight through it. I’m sold on that being what happened. However, the only thing I wish he’d done is call a timeout during that initial run to get everyone to regroup.

Not having Sy hurt us. With Dallas out we were pretty much playing without an inside presence. Need Marsh to really mature over the next few weeks and months. Nice to give a shit again. Go Deacs!

I would give Marsh a ton of minutes against the cupcakes we still have on the schedule before conference play. Really boost his conditioning without it hurting the final score too much.

I rewatched the game. We could have easily gone to a zone and we didn’t. Forbes clearly knows that, IMHO. I think he wants us to play man defense really well and then we may mix in some zone. Same thing goes for any kind of press we might want to implement.

It was almost a test and he wanted us to fight through it. I’m sold on that being what happened. However, the only thing I wish he’d done is call a timeout during that initial run to get everyone to regroup.

Not having Sy hurt us. With Dallas out we were pretty much playing without an inside presence. Need Marsh to really mature over the next few weeks and months. Nice to give a shit again. Go Deacs!

Game was bizarre. Would like to know the last time a team erased a 20+ point deficit in the 2nd half and made only one three during that stretch - almost impossible in this day and age. When the reffs started calling fouls on every OSU drive, the defense became really tentative. Always been a Mucius and Williamson both missed at least two wide-open take your time three point shots when OSU was making their run. WF was so close to breaking them, but couldn't hit the big shot.

I only followed the score online - all I can say is that this is a game we lose 100% of the time under previous regimes...

Marsh is slow reacting to his defensive assignments. But pretty much what should be expected with the amount of time he missed. I think he will contribute once he has more practice time to get in sync with the rest. This should happen during the semester break.

The film can help Marsh to learn that if a guy goes over his left shoulder over and over, make him go right to see if he has that skill.

If you didn’t look at the +/- I posted, Marsh was -9 in 9 minutes and the only player with less than -1. Weird for a 3 point OT win.

We've been really aggressive on defense all year, getting hands on the ball during drives, aggressive challenges, etc. Definitely seemed like the refs decided to just call every reach as a foul early in the 2nd half regardless if it was all ball or not, and it really screwed us up. Cam had a couple in particular that were awful.

Offensively it seemed like we took a few bad shots early that were anti-Forbes style. Then when we started getting better looks within the offense we missed some wide open shots and things started snowballing. The early bad decisions led to the later misses being more damaging. To their credit, OSU stayed disciplined going inside with Sy out and it paid off. They're a decent team that was due for a win and we didn't give it to them.

Wonder if the Beavs rally against Penn St. They are +1 dog.

we played a good half of basketball and won. There have been alot of upsets so far as teams figure it out We are still undefeated. Coaching staff will address the problems we had second half.

Won by a bucket in OT after hitting an accidental alley-oop half court 3 earlier in the game.

Maybe it's one of those years.

Back