• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes Contract Extension

Well, if it would have gotten a double bye, I guess it's worth it.

Of course if we want to parse quotes. Monday on Packer & Durham, Forbes basically said he was more focused on getting an NCAAT bid and not the ACCT. Maybe Forbes thought 'finally, I'm in a conf that I don't have to win it all to make the tourney'.

That may be his logic. In another interview, he said he hadn't watched the ACC Tournament documentary. I wish he had at least caught the episodes about Wake winning the tournament. He also played a little too much bracketologist in the post-game for a guy who only needs to win games.

That may be his logic. In another interview, he said he hadn't watched the ACC Tournament documentary. I wish he had at least caught the episodes about Wake winning the tournament. He also played a little too much bracketologist in the post-game for a guy who only needs to win games.

Eh, at least he didn't do the Seth Greenberg VPI "we are definitely in the tournament, i'm not even worried about Sunday night".

Count me in as someone who has never seen us do well in the ACCT and I started at Wake in ‘99. That’s truly pathetic. I really care about the ACCT though. When I was in college and law school, I went to all the games even after we lost because it’s such a great event. Expansion has destroyed a little of that, but I’d still love to see us do well in it at some point and I’d kill to win it. I don’t know how you can really be an ACC basketball fan and not care about the tournament.

Fortunately, I was there in person in '95. I gave my ticket to someone else in '96 even though I thought we would win again.

It was so rare an occurrence it seemed that the only thing to do was to spread it around.

While we had painful (great games) losses back in my day, clearly the 94,95,96,97 was our peak years since the 60's

- 81 lose by 1 to (semis) Jordan and UNC
- 82 lose by 1 to (semis) Sampson and UVA in ot
- 83 lose by 1 to (qtr) State, who wins the ACCT and NCAAT
- 84 lose by 2 to (semis) MD we went to the final 8
- 85 lose to (qtr) UNC in OT

Every one of those teams were ranked except for State. I think randomly we could have won more games in the last 26 years than we have.

Definitely, especially since we haven't played a team seeded higher than #5 since 2007. We keep losing to double digit seeds on Tuesday and Wednesday.

I was at NCSU before going to Wake and I remember the annual Les Robinson Invitational play-in games. Childress and Duncan were class acts. Now, it’s like what can you do for me monetarily wise.

Last edited:
Well, if it would have gotten a double bye, I guess it's worth it.

Of course if we want to parse quotes. Monday on Packer & Durham, Forbes basically said he was more focused on getting an NCAAT bid and not the ACCT. Maybe Forbes thought 'finally, I'm in a conf that I don't have to win it all to make the tourney'.

We would have lost a day later. This team was not ready for the big stage.

Might have been a tad premature. We don’t know if our O against the zone is going to be an issue going forward with coaching or is just an issue for this team. And we don’t know if we can’t recruit at this level yet.

Yesterday's showing certainly did not help with recruiting. :(

Rather than taking the recruiting trips before the ACCT, Forbes would have been better served staying home and coaching his team. :dumb:

Have really loved Forbes' pressers, even post-game losses this year, but I thought that one was bad, man. I get he was pissed -- and understandably -- but that just did not come across well, and probably to a pool of folks that don't see him as regularly.

Yesterday's showing certainly did not help with recruiting. :(

Rather than taking the recruiting trips before the ACCT, Forbes would have been better served staying home and coaching his team. :dumb:

Ding. Ding. Ding.

"their bigs especially the young guy...what is his last name...(Forbes looks down)...Post...yeah him...well he IS a post player, he did a really good job..."

So, you make x million dollars a year and you don't know the last name of a starter for your 1st round opponent? And that guy just outplayed Walton.

Who scouted BC while you were away? BJ McKie?

I know that guy's name, Quentin Post. Not all their starters, but I know his name and he plays for CRAPPY basketball Boston College.

What's next a press conference from your office where you goof off and look for the "because I AM THE COACH" sign and talk about the "real" tournament, the NCAAT?

You are not in THAT, if you crap the bed in the ACCT, which for starving Wake fans is the IMMEDIATE tournament/sense of urgency tournament.

While we had painful (great games) losses back in my day, clearly the 94,95,96,97 was our peak years since the 60's

- 81 lose by 1 to (semis) Jordan and UNC
- 82 lose by 1 to (semis) Sampson and UVA in ot
- 83 lose by 1 to (qtr) State, who wins the ACCT and NCAAT
- 84 lose by 2 to (semis) MD we went to the final 8
- 85 lose to (qtr) UNC in OT

Every one of those teams were ranked except for State. I think randomly we could have won more games in the last 26 years than we have.

Jordan wasn't at UNC in '81. We lost to them because Mike Pepper hit a shot he had no business making. We actually played UNC 4 times that season- beat them in the Big 4, split with them in the regular season (we won in CH and they won in WS) then they beat us in the ACC Tourney. They went on to make the Final Four and played in the championship game but we were every bit as good as they were that season.

That '83 loss to State was interesting. Just a week before they beat us by 40 points in the regular season finale. They go onto to win both the ACC and NCAA and we make the Final Four of the NIT. I wonder what would have happened if we had beaten them in the first round? Maybe we are celebrating a miracle run.

Ding. Ding. Ding.

"their bigs especially the young guy...what is his last name...(Forbes looks down)...Post...yeah him...well he IS a post player, he did a really good job..."

So, you make x million dollars a year and you don't know the last name of a starter for your 1st round opponent? And that guy just outplayed Walton.

Who scouted BC while you were away? BJ McKie?

I know that guy's name, Quentin Post. Not all their starters, but I know his name and he plays for CRAPPY basketball Boston College.

What's next a press conference from your office where you goof off and look for the "because I AM THE COACH" sign and talk about the "real" tournament, the NCAAT?

You are not in THAT, if you crap the bed in the ACCT, which for starving Wake fans is the IMMEDIATE tournament/sense of urgency tournament.

Shitty coaching. Just shit.

Too much iso. No movement

I would have p,ayes Marsh and just kept post away from the paint. Dallas is a finesse player, sy was clearly intoxicated. Wtf?

Apparently, we were "banged up."

LaRavia, Sy (we knew about the ankle), Walton, then the cramps hit Alondes, so who knows.

Honestly, I hate it when posters come on here and give shit to other posters, posting about posts that are clearly posted in the moment...however, got to defend Forbes here. He's the best coach Wake has seen in a long time. Yesterday was a poor showing, but he has been the fucking man to this point and deserves some benefit of the doubt. Go watch some Danny Manning reruns on Youtube and feel better.

I'm hopeful Forbes will learn from this. Agree he's a huge step up from where we've been and I think he has a high ceiling. But he was not ready for yesterday. I hope he reflects on that and he and his team are better prepared next year. He got outcoached and our team got outplayed. Do better.

Last edited:
Back