• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes Contract Extension

They used to be a top 10 job or close to it, but Yow moving them to the B1G has really hurt their revenue sports. Their football team was never going to compete in what is a much more difficult conference. And I think leaving all their traditional rivals in UVA, Duke and UNC really diminished their basketball brand. Nobody cares about watching UMd playing a tOSU or MSU, whereas those 90s-00s tilts against Duke, UNC and UVA were must watch basketball, especially some of those Duke games. I gotta think that made it harder on recruiting over time, especially considering they really haven't developed any natural rivalries in the B1G. I think they've become the B1G's version of NC St - a once proud and storied program which has spent the last 30 years in the wilderness with a delusional fan base. Ain't no way I'd consider UMd if I were an up and coming smaller conference coach. I agree with you and believe Turgeon redeems himself elsewhere long before UMd does.

They exchanged success in FB and basketball for cash. It is just as simple as that. I am sure the admin is perfectly fine with that. For fans, it must suck.

They used to be a top 10 job or close to it, but Yow moving them to the B1G has really hurt their revenue sports. Their football team was never going to compete in what is a much more difficult conference. And I think leaving all their traditional rivals in UVA, Duke and UNC really diminished their basketball brand. Nobody cares about watching UMd playing a tOSU or MSU, whereas those 90s-00s tilts against Duke, UNC and UVA were must watch basketball, especially some of those Duke games. I gotta think that made it harder on recruiting over time, especially considering they really haven't developed any natural rivalries in the B1G. I think they've become the B1G's version of NC St - a once proud and storied program which has spent the last 30 years in the wilderness with a delusional fan base. Ain't no way I'd consider UMd if I were an up and coming smaller conference coach. I agree with you and believe Turgeon redeems himself elsewhere long before UMd does.

Kevin Anderson was the AD when they moved to the Big Ten, Debbie Yow had already moved on to NC State. Though you may be alluding to the fact that some of her decisions left them in the financial position where the Big Ten's offer was one they couldn't refuse.

In the ACC Tourney documentary, they were interviewing J. J. Redick. He said that he had no problems with any of the ACC schools fans, "except for Maryland. Fuck those guys." It was really funny but I'm sure that they would not have included it if Maryland were still in the ACC.

In the ACC Tourney documentary, they were interviewing J. J. Redick. He said that he had no problems with any of the ACC schools fans, "except for Maryland. Fuck those guys." It was really funny but I'm sure that they would not have included it if Maryland were still in the ACC.

I had tickets given to me for the ACC Tourney a number of years ago. They were in the Maryland section. To say that was entertaining weekend would be an understatement. Their language would make a drunk sailor blush.
Didn't bother me. It was actually entertaining to watch.

I hope this wasn’t another gigantic extension mistake.

Nice participation trophy extension.

We extend way too early. We need to give huge huge coaches contracts but make them totally performance based.

imo changing your mind on the extension based on one game is pretty similar to hiring [Redacted] based on one game

imo changing your mind on the extension based on one game is pretty similar to hiring [Redacted] based on one game

These are the games that matter. It doesn't matter if you go 30-0 every regular season if you always lose in the conference and NCAA tourney.

These are the games that matter. It doesn't matter if you go 30-0 every regular season if you always lose in the conference and NCAA tourney.

1/ wgaf about the acc tournament anymore
2/ obviously those games are more important but almost entirely predicted by overall / regular season performance. there are pretty much no coaches that sustainably do better or worse than you would expect based on overall and the ones that do revert to the mean with enough time (lute olsen, tom izzo)
3/ the end is not the trophy

A hell of a lot of Wake fans if you simply look at the boards, twitter, the other boards, or just about anywhere else right now.

yes, losing in the first round of acc tournament that sinks your ncaa tournament hopes - who cares right? it's just the acc tournament. jfc

Yo, dixie, no comment with your neg? What a gutless pussy you are.

Back