• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Consolidated Bracketology Thread 3/12/23 updates

With all the people playing bracketologist these days I am sure there are ones who nail the field 100% each year. Of the consistently better prognosticators, how many should we expect them to miss on average? 1? 1.5?

I could see Wyoming missing out. Looking no further than the schools and conferences represented on the committee I do not see any allies there. It has to help to have conference representation.

My friend says Wake is on the agenda for this morning and based on the remaining games our fate will be 99% decided in the next couple of hours.

A couple of points. There has to be some push from the P5 conferences to not let a 13 win team get left out. It's just a bad precedent to establish.

Second, our out of conference schedule was hot garbage, but when the season started I don't think anyone had a problem with a schedule that would teach this team how to win and few knew that we would actually be pretty good. No one knew that Man Man was player of the year caliber player. So its easy in retrospect to trash our OOC schedule.

Also, to expect the ACC to suck this bad was pretty hard to gauge when the OOC schedule was established. FSU got wiped out by injuries, UVA has been a perineal tournament team making deep runs, Tech went first to worst. UNC had a team of 5*s and sucked, etc.

We exceeded expectations, but you can't expect a team with wins @FSU, @UVA, UNC, @VaTech, UNC to have "no good wins".

And of course, it's the most Wake basketball thing ever to have every team behind you go on a red hot run after we play our last regular season game.

With all the people playing bracketologist these days I am sure there are ones who nail the field 100% each year. Of the consistently better prognosticators, how many should we expect them to miss on average? 1? 1.5?

I could see Wyoming missing out. Looking no further than the schools and conferences represented on the committee I do not see any allies there. It has to help to have conference representation.
It's *possible* that Bubba doesn't view WF as the adversary we view them to be. "Nobody hates Wake" and maybe he wants more ACC representation, good for him and the conference. Could see him arguing Wake over VT if there's a 5-team cap imposed on the league.

These could all have been one post, but as a final thought it’s dumb as shit that a lot of this comes down to whether we chose UNCG and Oral Roberts for our OOC schedule VS Pepperdine and William and Mary. How should ANYONE know if those teams are going to be 300 or 180 in the rankings? They all should be wins for Wake Forest. (The first 2 are in the 150 range, the last 2 are near 300.)

Partial solution to this is to get Richmond and Davidson back on the schedule along with teams like Furman as long as they keep their coach. Regional interest games that any WF team hoping to be on the bubble or better should win, with no excuses. We beat those teams instead of the 300+ teams and nobody is bitching about our schedule.

This committee is almost 50% new members. Maybe they recognize SOS is already baked in the metrics and do not double count it. I am grasping at straws here. I will abandon all hope.

Partial solution to this is to get Richmond and Davidson back on the schedule along with teams like Furman as long as they keep their coach. Regional interest games that any WF team hoping to be on the bubble or better should win, with no excuses. We beat those teams instead of the 300+ teams and nobody is bitching about our schedule.

Richmond and Davidson make sense. Furman hasn’t been to the NCAAT on 40 years. I’m not sure they help much.

We built an NIT schedule because its possible that when the season started Forbes knew that would show major improvement, get guys comfortable with each other and start building some fan interest. All of those things happened which made it a good plan in really what is year 1.

Something happened on the way to the party but its ended according to plan. Having said that we knew the schedule would be in the 300's when we put it together. If our SOS is 275 we're in. You cant be an elite program playing a 350 SOS though getting this wins is a first step for a dead program to start moving to a better neighborhood.

When we don’t get in with 23 wins in a P5 conference, I’m gonna need emails of the committee to send my hate mail to.

Do you remember all of those years that Clemson started 15-1/16-0 because they literally played no one? We did the same thing this year. Those Clemson teams didn’t get in and we shouldn’t either. With that said, I’ll be thrilled if we somehow sneak in.

We built an NIT schedule because its possible that when the season started Forbes knew that would show major improvement, get guys comfortable with each other and start building some fan interest. All of those things happened which made it a good plan in really what is year 1.

Something happened on the way to the party but its ended according to plan. Having said that we knew the schedule would be in the 300's when we put it together. If our SOS is 275 we're in. You cant be an elite program playing a 350 SOS though getting this wins is a first step for a dead program to start moving to a better neighborhood.

It was a “get back on our feet” schedule. It was necessary, but I have no issue (other than sadness) with a team who scheduled tough games getting in over us. Teams should be rewarded for tough schedules. Everyone on this board has argued that in the past when shoe was on the other foot.

What are the key games for today?

If Davidson does not win the A10 then that conference gets 2 bids for sure. We need Davidson to win today and tomorrow. We want SMU, Dayton, Texas A&M, and Virginia Tech to lose. And since it requires no extra effort on your part go ahead and root against Indiana too.

Do you remember all of those years that Clemson started 15-1/16-0 because they literally played no one? We did the same thing this year. Those Clemson teams didn’t get in and we shouldn’t either. With that said, I’ll be thrilled if we somehow sneak in.

Those teams didn’t end up 13-7 in league play.
It’s tough to create a schedule if the only conference game that really matters is when you play Duke. The other 18+ games are being deemed pretty meaningless.

It’s tough to create a schedule if the only conference game that really matters is when you play Duke. The other 18+ games are being deemed pretty meaningless.

St. Mary's says hello. But hell, it only took them 10 years to figure that out.

This is why people saying- we won so many ACC games just doesn’t hold. This is not the 2001 ACC. This ACC sucked. There were years when we scheduled multiple top 10 teams in the country. We couldn’t do that this year and no fan should fault us for the schedule we had, but we can’t expect to get into the NCAA tournament with a shit schedule, a down ACC and a bunch of losses to teams we should have beaten down the stretch.

This is why people saying- we won so many ACC games just doesn’t hold. This is not the 2001 ACC. This ACC sucked. There were years when we scheduled multiple top 10 teams in the country. We couldn’t do that this year and no fan should fault us for the schedule we had, but we can’t expect to get into the NCAA tournament with a shit schedule, a down ACC and a bunch of losses to teams we should have beaten down the stretch.

Clemson and BC were the only losses we shouldn’t have had. And one was a conference road game. So not really a bunch.

Agree with those saying it was pretty bad luck that our schedule was as putrid as it ended up being. If you looked at it before the season I think it would’ve looked more like a 200-250 level SOS rather than 350.

Back