• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Consolidated Bracketology Thread 3/12/23 updates

Yep, apparently the ACC sucks. I would argue the ACC 6 (Duke, NC, Miami, Wake, ND, and VT) would hold up well on the court versus SMU, Wyoming, Xavier, Iowa St, Michigan, Texas A&M.
Nonetheless likely time to zero in on the NIT selection show. Wake wins home games they get to play at MSG and maybe hang a banner.
Then LaRavia goes pro… Mucius, Walton, and Davies move on and we start back at ground zero.

Clemson and BC were the only losses we shouldn’t have had. And one was a conference road game. So not really a bunch.

Agree with those saying it was pretty bad luck that our schedule was as putrid as it ended up being. If you looked at it before the season I think it would’ve looked more like a 200-250 level SOS rather than 350.

We shouldn’t have lost the Syracuse game and we had the Miami game won. That’s a bunch in my mind. Things would look totally different right now. I say all this btw still really hoping and pretty crushed. This sucks.

Clemson without their best player. That one stung.
Definitely was one that hurt. Clemson did spin that into a 5 game win streak that ended with the VT buzzer shot.
The Miami home loss was brutal after being up 13. BC up 10 (yuck).. Hard to say we should have won at Cuse when we lost by 20+.

Yep, apparently the ACC sucks. I would argue the ACC 6 (Duke, NC, Miami, Wake, ND, and VT) would hold up well on the court versus SMU, Wyoming, Xavier, Iowa St, Michigan, Texas A&M.
Nonetheless likely time to zero in on the NIT selection show. Wake wins home games they get to play at MSG and maybe hang a banner.
Then LaRavia goes pro… Mucius, Walton, and Davies move on and we start back at ground zero.

This last point is the main one that upsets me. This year isn’t some building block year for next year. It is a stand alone year after which a bunch of players are going to leave. Not making the NCAA’s this year is a failure.

Definitely was one that hurt. Clemson did spin that into a 5 game win streak that ended with the VT buzzer shot.
The Miami home loss was brutal after being up 13. BC up 10 (yuck).. Hard to say we should have won at Cuse when we lost by 20+.

You’re right on Cuse, but on paper, we should have beaten them. With the schedule we had, we just had very little room for losses to teams below us in the standings. Hell, make our FTs at Duke or get the goaltending call and this may also be a different conversation. Super frustrating.

I'm sure the Deacs have checked on this and maybe already have advance reservations, but Peter Luger is only 4.7 miles from MSG.

This last point is the main one that upsets me. This year isn’t some building block year for next year. It is a stand alone year after which a bunch of players are going to leave. Not making the NCAA’s this year is a failure.

Why are you assuming that last sentence is definitely going to happen?

This is exactly what kills me. The year that we won the NIT, there was a real feeling that we had relied a ton on ROK and we needed to get the younger guys in the mix and that the time would help this team for the next year. NIT was disappointing then but seemed to be building up to better things. Here it just seems like a disappointing end and then we start over.

I would argue that too, in general, but unfortunately VT lost to Xavier and Dayton, and Miami lost to Dayton, and Notre Dame lost to Texas A&M and Indiana

he went recruiting which is arguably the most important part of his job. He had to go on that trip. Had to. We need players.

if you want to mince up his other actions and filet him for a job not well done, that's fair. Everyone makes missteaks from time to time.

The ACC presumably gave WF the final weekend off because we had been the only program to play in every single ACCT Tuesday session. Hopefully next season we play at NCST on the final Saturday.

After the State win, Forbes said he was going to see Zach play if they (Zach's team) had won that night. If not he had no plans for Saturday. Didn't sound like he was on a recruiting trip to me.

Yes, the ACC didn't schedule a game for us on Saturday, but that doesn't mean you have to give the team off from Wed to Mon. Add in that we heard the Monday practice was crap, I'd say those were bad choices.

No game on Saturday? Schedule practice to keep the team in sync by having the team work together on a day they would normally have played.

Maybe we should have learned from our other bye week (we did play BC on Monday) but what did we do then? Crapped ourselves in the Carrier Dome.

After the State win, Forbes said he was going to see Zach play if they (Zach's team) had won that night. If not he had no plans for Saturday. Didn't sound like he was on a recruiting trip to me.

Yes, the ACC didn't schedule a game for us on Saturday, but that doesn't mean you have to give the team off from Wed to Mon. Add in that we heard the Monday practice was crap, I'd say those were bad choices.

No game on Saturday? Schedule practice to keep the team in sync by having the team work together on a day they would normally have played.

Maybe we should have learned from our other bye week (we did play BC on Monday) but what did we do then? Crapped ourselves in the Carrier Dome.

Forbes went to Minnesota to recruit a 2023 big on Friday, then to CO to watch Keller Saturday

Because we are conditioned to expect the worst.

To me there is a difference between “I’m worried this will happen and we will be back to square one next year” (what I would expect a wake fan to say) and “the reason this game frustrated me is because this thing will DEFINITELY happen and we will DEFINITELY be back to square one next year”

I think there is a pretty low chance of losing Laravia, Williamson, and Mucius off the team next year. I would guess Laravia and one of the others comes back.

Who does the committee want to play bad teams? Only other bad teams? That is creating a permanent lower class with no chance at upward mobility. Some of those teams rely on games against better teams for money for their athletic programs. The committee chair is commissioner of the Southland Conference. The Southland is horrible. No top 200 teams in Kenpom. Punish teams like Wake and you are never getting a good opponent Southland. No more games for the SWAC, Horizon, MEAC, NEC either.

I hope you’re right. I just read an updated draft board on The Athletic and they moved him up to #38. Until today, I really never gave it much credence.

Who does the committee want to play bad teams? Only other bad teams? That is creating a permanent lower class with no chance at upward mobility. Some of those teams rely on games against better teams for money for their athletic programs. The committee chair is commissioner of the Southland Conference. The Southland is horrible. No top 200 teams in Kenpom. Punish teams like Wake and you are never getting a good opponent Southland. No more games for the SWAC, Horizon, MEAC, NEC either.

Those are good points. I suspect the answer would be to schedule 5 or 6 sub 200 teams and 4 or 5 good teams. Wake went with what was expected to be 3 good, 7 weak nonconference scheduling. However, Oregon State turned out to be abysmal, making it 2-8. And both of the two better teams weren't all that good.

This is a good point. The ncaa is teaching us to be more intentional about avoiding them.

One of the absolute most Wake Forest things about this whole experience is that there is literally still the tiniest chance that we get in. So we can’t just begin our mourning immediately after the BC game, but instead have to nurture this minute little sliver of fools’ hope all week. We are magnets for pain.

Instead of ending it in one fell swoop, our postseason dreams are apparently bleeding out slowly and it’s hilariously sad.

Back