• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Petition 4 Wake Forest Football Helmet Logo

I can understand that. I just can't connect the shiny gold to the flat gold in our uniforms. They don't match in my mindgrapes. I don't think a gold helmet that is the same color as our uniforms would be terrible. I wish I had photoshop so I could try to mock one up.

That said, I do like our gold helmets with black logo, but nothing beats the classic black with shiny WF.

Do you guys like the shiny black helmet or the matte black better?

I've been up all night sick, and realized I had photoshop on my desktop, so I figured I'd give a matte gold helmet a go. Keep in mind I have very little experience with photoshop, but I watched a few videos online and was able to mock up a crude imagining of what I think would look good with the above uniforms.

If I would have known how, I would have included the grooves or indentions along the crown/top of the helmet and jawline. But I think what I got was pretty good. It might be a little too dark of a gold, but I'm not gonna mess with it any more. I think the outcome was enough of a difference from the Georgia Tech look to make it unique.

I lied, I tried to throw in gradient shading, but it looks like shit. It looks much better as a smaller thumbnail than if you click and open the larger version. It looks wayyyyy too MSPaint-ish if you zoom. But it KINDA gets the point across to show the contours. (Please have mercy).

Last edited:
We wore the helmet with the Deacon head against FSU in 2017. We lost the game and never wore them again. We also wore a white helmet with the WF logo for a few games in 2013.

I can understand that. I just can't connect the shiny gold to the flat gold in our uniforms. They don't match in my mindgrapes. I don't think a gold helmet that is the same color as our uniforms would be terrible. I wish I had photoshop so I could try to mock one up.

That said, I do like our gold helmets with black logo, but nothing beats the classic black with shiny WF.

I'm partial to the classic gloss black helmet myself, but we've not seen it in awhile as the team obviously prefers the matte.

I don't know why the flying WF is remembered so fondly. It's a 70's design used in the 80's. Even then its use was problematic. The flying WF makes sense when looking at the left side of the helmet, but it was backward when looking at the right side of the helmet (backward W, backward F, FW left to right). To correct this, they used the left sticker on the right for readability, but it now swooped in the opposite direction of the left side. Just a mess and best left on the shelf.

I don't mind the mascot helmet as a special occasion helmet. The black top hat on black helmet is difficult to see...maybe better on a gold helmet.

I've been up all night sick, and realized I had photoshop on my desktop, so I figured I'd give a matte gold helmet a go. Keep in mind I have very little experience with photoshop, but I watched a few videos online and was able to mock up a crude imagining of what I think would look good with the above uniforms.

If I would have known how, I would have included the grooves or indentions along the crown/top of the helmet and jawline. But I think what I got was pretty good. It might be a little too dark of a gold, but I'm not gonna mess with it any more. I think the outcome was enough of a difference from the Georgia Tech look to make it unique.

I lied, I tried to throw in gradient shading, but it looks like shit. It looks much better as a smaller thumbnail than if you click and open the larger version. It looks wayyyyy too MSPaint-ish if you zoom. But it KINDA gets the point across to show the contours. (Please have mercy).

Don't be so harsh on yourself. Those look pretty stout.

My favorite unis are still the gold ones we wore several years ago. Gold tops. Maybe it was these?

1835405.jpeg

Yeah, Slim. Your stuff is pretty good. It’s just our unis and helmets are already hard to beat.

i had never noticed the deacon was bald. now i can't unsee it.

The Deacon logo was based on a man named Bill Brame from North Wilkesboro. He would dress up in a top hat and tails for the games. He was bald with white hair on the sides of his head.

Don't be so harsh on yourself. Those look pretty stout.

My favorite unis are still the gold ones we wore several years ago. Gold tops. Maybe it was these?

1835405.jpeg

I thought the response to these was overwhelmingly negative and mocked as khaki. I didn't hate them, but don't think we wore them more than once or twice.

I thought the response to these was overwhelmingly negative and mocked as khaki. I didn't hate them, but don't think we wore them more than once or twice.

Yeah, I'm not sure if those are actually them or not. Seems like we have worn gold tops more than a few times, but there was one time in particular where I loved the jerseys. Seems like maybe they were a bit less gold and more old gold?

I find the all blacks to be lacking. People seem to love them, but to me, just about every team out there has an all-black option so they don't stand out in any way. We have a great, can't miss color scheme in old gold and black, and IMO the unis should reflect that. Maybe a helmet like what Oblong drew up coupled with some gold jerseys that are more the helmet color with some black pants.

Wake has a color issue on their hands - LOL. The Field badly needs to be redone, the colors are old gold, now very faded. Since, they changed to more of a khaki gold (which I dont mind - it is unique, every sports team uses the Old Gold) on all of the uniforms - the uniforms don't match the field. It's just poor branding. I believe Currie said the field would be redone in 2023 - so maybe that will alleviate this issue.
Of course everyone has their favorites - The shiny gold helmets are amazing at night in person, the matte black is always a sharp look, I don't mind the Flying WF and the Deac head for special occasions. The strutting Deac is also a pretty cool and unique look, and I was happy to see Wake pushing that in all of their branding. But, get those white helmets out of here, they look so bad in person/on TV and really match nothing. Maybe only use that when they are committed to all white everything, pants, jerseys, etc....

The Deacon logo was based on a man named Bill Brame from North Wilkesboro. He would dress up in a top hat and tails for the games. He was bald with white hair on the sides of his head.

And then from there Ed Christman took the mantle (the plunger?) and carried it forward

Wake has a color issue on their hands - LOL. The Field badly needs to be redone, the colors are old gold, now very faded. Since, they changed to more of a khaki gold (which I dont mind - it is unique, every sports team uses the Old Gold) on all of the uniforms - the uniforms don't match the field. It's just poor branding. I believe Currie said the field would be redone in 2023 - so maybe that will alleviate this issue.
Of course everyone has their favorites - The shiny gold helmets are amazing at night in person, the matte black is always a sharp look, I don't mind the Flying WF and the Deac head for special occasions. The strutting Deac is also a pretty cool and unique look, and I was happy to see Wake pushing that in all of their branding. But, get those white helmets out of here, they look so bad in person/on TV and really match nothing. Maybe only use that when they are committed to all white everything, pants, jerseys, etc....

Yes, less is more

My big objection to any of the flying WF logos is that they look strange on the right side of the helmet. Either they have to fly backwards or be mirror image or something. Only the left side looks good. The basic block WF can be put on the right side and not look funny.
Same with the script "Deacs."

Any logo on the helmet needs to be looked at from both sides to make sure directionality doesn't make one side look strange.

For example, the Walking/Strutting Deac can be done mirror image on the two sides, so he is facing either front or back on both sides of the helmet.

Back