• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT 757: does anyone know a paralegal who enjoys insensitive jokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the consumer reports highest rated top load washer & dryer for the apartment since they were on sale for 35% off and they got delivered early

I fucking hate our electric range (and all electric ranges). if we ever move from the mountains I will make sure we get gas. I guess I could do propane here but don't feel like investing that much in this house.

Why not induction? Unless you are doing a bunch of Wok cooking should perform as good or better than gas, with the added benefit of cleaner air in your house and better for the environment.

For iced coffee, replace a portion of the water you’d use with ice in whatever you brew in to. I do 30g coffee, ~150g ice, ~300g water

get a load of this guy using the metric system

b01b71ba-671a-4485-9fb7-6c55037904ef_text.gif

I fucking hate our electric range (and all electric ranges). if we ever move from the mountains I will make sure we get gas. I guess I could do propane here but don't feel like investing that much in this house.

are most places in the mountains all electric appliances?

To make better coffee, iced or not, I’d recommend throwing the keurig in the garbage and using nearly any other method.

The keurig has an ice coffee button, but whenever you make ice coffee on it, you just get less warm coffee, which is still hot enough to melt your ice, so in the end you're getting watery coffee. Terrible option to have on the machine.
Like the "popcorn" buttons on old microwaves that would proceed to burn your popcorn

I’m mostly ok with my glass top electric range, you get used to it but it is annoying how long it takes a pot of water to boil. Also if I had induction I’d have to get pretty much all new pots and pans.

moves to utah, adopts the metric system, and develops superiority complex

Hmm, I was just asked to facilitate a "lunch and learn" (over 4 weeks, proposed as one hour a week) where I would teach basic SQL to a team of 6 or so project managers (who are under one of my manager's peers) so that they would be able to self-serve basic data requests for analysis instead of coming to my team.

This is obviously nowhere near my job description, and I would be responsible for creating the "curriculum" (which probably also means creating some sort of sandbox data environment for them).

I have a ton of concerns with the idea itself (mainly that teaching basic syntax or data structures is easy, but our data environment is a mess, and if they don't know what they're doing they're just going to pull bad data that will end up creating more work for us anyway), but my fiancee thinks I should use it to argue for a raise at my midyear review, which is in 3 hours, and only a half hour long.

I've been at this company for 5 months now and my workload the last two months has been *insane*, way more asks with more urgency and actual business ramifications than anything I had on my plate with the Big Bank That Must Not Be Named. A lot of that, I enjoy, but man it can be a lil stressful and this shit would just be another log on the fire.

To make better coffee, iced or not, I’d recommend throwing the keurig in the garbage and using nearly any other method.

+1

my wife got me a Jura for my birthday 5 years ago and I cannot drink coffee from a keurig like some cro-magnon

Hmm, I was just asked to facilitate a "lunch and learn" (over 4 weeks, proposed as one hour a week) where I would teach basic SQL to a team of 6 or so project managers (who are under one of my manager's peers) so that they would be able to self-serve basic data requests for analysis instead of coming to my team.

This is obviously nowhere near my job description, and I would be responsible for creating the "curriculum" (which probably also means creating some sort of sandbox data environment for them).

I have a ton of concerns with the idea itself (mainly that teaching basic syntax or data structures is easy, but our data environment is a mess, and if they don't know what they're doing they're just going to pull bad data that will end up creating more work for us anyway), but my fiancee thinks I should use it to argue for a raise at my midyear review, which is in 3 hours, and only a half hour long.

I've been at this company for 5 months now and my workload the last two months has been *insane*, way more asks with more urgency and actual business ramifications than anything I had on my plate with the Big Bank That Must Not Be Named. A lot of that, I enjoy, but man it can be a lil stressful and this shit would just be another log on the fire.

d48f4511-173f-4d3f-9f79-a7636dbf3d8f_1.64ad6f13280fcc303930bcf152118346.jpeg

I'm just going to hire Kory and teach him SQL so that he can teach this team, problem solved

I’m not sure about asking for a raise for a 1 month side project that you haven’t even done yet. Either way you can’t do it until your concerns are addressed and you have adequate capacity or do it and then advocate for an increase in comp at year end.

Meant “say” not “way” sorry.

The company should just buy these people access to a course like https://learnsql.com/ and THEN for the people that complete the course maybe you do 1-2 lunch n' learns that maybe goes through some of how the data is organized at your company, tools/tips/tricks you use, gotchas, some good examples of queries you've used recently to solve problems etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back