• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT 757: does anyone know a paralegal who enjoys insensitive jokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right!? Got a comment “need comma before “thus”.” It took way longer to click “add comment” then type out that sentence than to just fucking add the comma.

usually mine aren't as nitpicky as that, but it'll be like "This should say this instead '....'"

what you need to do is put in way too many commas on purpose. it's like the Duke defense strategy

you can't call them all

Hey Juice was Afroman flying first class because he’s apparently playing this dive bar in Myrtle in a couple weeks.

what you need to do is put in way too many commas on purpose. it's like the Duke defense strategy

you can't call them all

I had to take a grammar test when applying for a job in DC and the only one I missed was either adding/deleting a comma in a sentence (can't remember which it was) but it was a very subjective comma IMO.

Gotta love a "collaborator" comment on a draft co-authored report/paper that says "revise this sentence."
God I hate that on track changes people will add a comment to add/delete/modify some word or phrase. Fucking do it yourself, that's why you're reviewing it!
I suppose it depends on the context and what a "collaborative" paper or project means to you, but I'd never want a reader to change something without my consent. I always maintain my own clean copy and change things on there.

I think this lady is just super pissy because a few weeks back she sent out a wall of text email about how she’d uncovered a big error in the model I developed for them and she thought it was a big mic drop moment that would allow her to drop the modeling parts of the project all together. But, I responded a couple minutes later with “yeah but you used the mean value in your calculation when you should have used the upper bound of the 95% confidence interval; if you’d done that correctly the model would work just fine.” I didn’t try to embarrass her but I think she was and she’s been really not picky ever since.

I had to take a grammar test when applying for a job in DC and the only one I missed was either adding/deleting a comma in a sentence (can't remember which it was) but it was a very subjective comma IMO.
This isn't 'nam! There are rules!

I suppose it depends on the context and what a "collaborative" paper or project means to you, but I'd never want a reader to change something without my consent. I always maintain my own clean copy and change things on there.

Well, my original complaint here was the very vague “revise this sentence.” Tell me what you think is wrong or what is confusing about the sentence so I can fix it appropriately. Don’t just say “revise this” without context or explanation.

Well, my original complaint here was the very vague “revise this sentence.” Tell me what you think is wrong or what is confusing about the sentence so I can fix it appropriately. Don’t just say “revise this” without context or explanation.
Oh yes, I agree with that. I respond in different tones for undergrad/grad/colleagues, but my typical go to is "as a reader, I am confused by this because of whatever. What about _____"

When I'm receiving feedback, I find the suggested revision super helpful whether I plan to adopt it or not

It was me; thank you for remembering.

Yes, afroman was seated in first class.

Oh yes, I agree with that. I respond in different tones for undergrad/grad/colleagues, but my typical go to is "as a reader, I am confused by this because of whatever. What about _____"

When I'm receiving feedback, I find the suggested revision super helpful whether I plan to adopt it or not

Mine's usually not grammar related, it's from the actual subject matter experts on using a different term/phrase or whatever.

Unfortunately, in my small part of the world, grammar and (crucially) style are fundamental components of our output, argumentation sometimes be damned

But as I've written on here a million times, I don't really correct grammar in undergraduate work.

Unfortunately, in my small part of the world, grammar and (crucially) style are fundamental components of our output, argumentation sometimes be damned

But as I've written on here a million times, I don't really correct grammar in undergraduate work.

My manager will copy edit my stuff usually, and she won't leave comments unless she fundamentally changes the phrasing. But that's usually based on info she has vs me.

But unfortunately I often get roped into editing stuff for committees I'm barely on. I was pretty annoyed last year when the chair of this committee thanked me publicly for "correcting her grammar in the grant" when the problem wasn't grammar it just made an awful argument and I substantially rewrote the entire grant.

I had to take a grammar test when applying for a job in DC, and the only one I missed was either adding/deleting a comma in a sentence (can't remember which it was) but it was a very subjective comma, IMO.

FIFY

Last edited:
i write comments about issues so that my minions will learn how to do my job and express themselves clearly.

But unfortunately I often get roped into editing stuff for committees I'm barely on. I was pretty annoyed last year when the chair of this committee thanked me publicly for "correcting her grammar in the grant" when the problem wasn't grammar it just made an awful argument and I substantially rewrote the entire grant.

"correcting her grammar in the grant" isn't correcting her grammar in the grant!

"correcting her grammar in the grant" is sex!

Last edited:
you know, rj's banning is apparently the last thing that required disclosure by the mods. ODD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back