• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Soooo who’s going to throw the ball now?

Ahh, so let me backtrack a bit: I was talking more about similar size (Griffis listed 5-11, 192; Wolford listed 6-1, 200), pocket presence, mobility, athleticism, competitive edge/savvy, arm strength and accuracy.

Wolford's 2017 is a high bar and I think it's asking a bit too much of Griffis to have that kind of efficiency/grasp with the system. Truth be told, we won't *know* how well Mitch runs the offense until VMI (honestly might need Vanderbilt too).

Griffis listed at 5'11", so he's what - 5'10"? Wolford always seemed short - listed at 6'1"?

"Mitch Griffis" sounds like a name Xbox generated and you would recruit to carry on your Wake dynasty in NCAA Football.

Since he was first recruited the biggest strength I could detect in him seemed to be his leadership. His quotation today further verifies this. I admit I'm concerned about what his on-field performance will be based on his size and the few times I've seen him in action. But I do think he'll step in fairly seamlessly to the leader role and have the respect of the team. Get a few solid scoring drives under his belt and we're off and running.

Clawson has done an outstanding job of building this program. I have faith that he's got the most important position on the field covered, and that our quarterback room doesn't have only one capable player in it.

I think we should be fine. Not great, but fine.

The weird thing is, everybody would feel better today if one of Kern and M.Griffis had transferred after the spring. It wouldn't have actually made any difference in whether the QB that didn't transfer was any good or not, but it would have been seen as a statement that the one that stayed had won the job as the heir apparent.

The weird thing is, everybody would feel better today if one of Kern and M.Griffis had transferred after the spring. It wouldn't have actually made any difference in whether the QB that didn't transfer was any good or not, but it would have been seen as a statement that the one that stayed had won the job as the heir apparent.

I would feel much worse if we only had one of Kern/Mitch Griffis than I do with both of them. If Griffis struggles or (god forbid) gets injured, I would think that Kern could come in and adequately run the offense at a level similar to what we are currently expecting out of Mitch. It would be a nightmare scenario to have to throw Brett Griffis to the wolves this season.

Griffis listed at 5'11", so he's what - 5'10"? Wolford always seemed short - listed at 6'1"?

Honestly they seem like the same height. It's been a few years since I was around John but I'm 5-9 and I never remember looking up at him.

This is where Forbes' thing about "we measure our guys in shoes because nobody plays basketball in their bare feet" rings in my head.

Where does Edwards’ transfer play into this?

Just watched the videos of Griffis and Kern that Les posted. Wake might be ok. They both seem like good dudes.

Looking at 247, Mitch got offered by some big schools including UNC, Maryland and WVU. Excited to see what he can do with the first string.

Hartman had a ton of balls batted down at line of a scrimmage and I have to think griffis is going to have the same problem, maybe moreso. He looked really short out there when he played. Hopefully his other skills outweigh his size.

Hartman had a ton of balls batted down at line of a scrimmage and I have to think griffis is going to have the same problem, maybe moreso. He looked really short out there when he played. Hopefully his other skills outweigh his size.

Also a natural problem with the RPO mesh offense, the QB is right at the LOS. Wolford had same problem.

Mitch’s dad is a high school football coach, btw. He’s ready for this moment and has learned about leading a football team throughout his life.

Mitch sounds solid in that interview.

I see it a little like Mitch at 5'10-5'11 is Tommie Frazier, WR get ready to block more, and we move it on the ground. I've got no issues with that. His style is going to be more like Mauk, but Clawson will not allow Griffis to run backwards lol.

Kern at 6'2, based on his bio from HS and the ONE pass I've seen him throw at Clemson, is ready to throw the ball, so WR get ready for some targets. His style is more like Skinner, accurate, controlled passer.

Just my armchair opinion.

Mitch sounds solid in that interview.

I see it a little like Mitch at 5'10-5'11 is Tommie Frazier, WR get ready to block more, and we move it on the ground. I've got no issues with that. His style is going to be more like Mauk, but Clawson will not allow Griffis to run backwards lol.

Kern at 6'2, based on his bio from HS and the ONE pass I've seen him throw at Clemson, is ready to throw the ball, so WR get ready for some targets. His style is more like Skinner, accurate, controlled passer.

Just my armchair opinion.

Perry, Greene, Morin, Williams, Whiteheart - those guys *can* block, but the strength of the team is those guys catching the ball, not blocking for a 190-lb quarterback and Christian Turner. If we don't have a backup qb that can get them the ball in space, we're screwed

ETA unless as you note Mitch Griffis really is Tommy Frazier

Last edited:
Clawson on new qb1. This quote is gold. Put it in your own life.

Guys that like it, love it and live it. He's a live it guy. Our team knows how hard he's worked and how hard he's prepared.

Be a "live it Guy."

Our receiving group is so talented we could put Mora behind center and have him punt the ball to them and they’d still go for 500yds and a couple touchdowns. Griffis makes sense to me - mobile like Wolford, likely better in the rpo to keep defenses honest which is the cornerstone to our offense working despite a non-cannon arm at QB. Even if it was against Clemson’s c-team on defense, that rolling td throw was legit. I’d bet Kern would tear up teams that can’t cover our receivers but struggle against the better ACC teams.

We do have super talented WR's, but I think a lot of it does rely on putting the ball where only they can get it. AT makes a lot of huge snags bc the ball is up and away from the defender that is usually draped on him (just like Sage, just like Scotty). If those balls are any lower or farther inside, the defense can make plays on them. That's a window Rugerrio clearly prizes, and Griffis will need to be able to hit, obviously without over throwing. I think Sam makes it look a little easier than it is sometimes.

Assuming Greene hasn't lost a step, he'll mostly just need to hit him after he gets extra separation.

Morin is the one running the tough routes that will require the quick reads/throws to the sidelines and across the middle.

If he can hit these 3-4 throws, we should be back in business. Missing any one of the 3 groups will just be one more hinderance to the offense, bc Sam has proven he can do each of them.

Last edited:
Back