• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Soooo who’s going to throw the ball now?

It's all about making the right reads. Kern and Griffis can both throw the ball and can both run, although my understanding was that Kern has a better arm and Griffis is more athletic. I'm sure Clawson made the decision based on Griffis running the offense more effectively.

Or, which is the more likely scenario:

Kern can run the RPO, Mitch just is better, has a higher upside and shouldn't be held to one televised joke of a scrimmage. There are tons of practices, one data point isn't nearly enough to make decisions/assumptions off of

Jesus, lighten up. No one is holding anyone to anything. I said in my comment that obviously Clawson is making the informed decision.

I just looked it up and I’m pretty sure I was confusing Kern with Kearns. Was wondering why he was still here.

Jesus, lighten up. No one is holding anyone to anything. I said in my comment that obviously Clawson is making the informed decision.

"I don't get Griffis being #1 given his spring performance or lack thereof. I can only assume that Kern simply can't run the RPO as required or expected by Clawson. He certainly has the better arm of the two."

*pushes back on the written assumption that Kern can't run the RPO as required or expected by Clawson*
*pushes back on the written statement of not understanding Griffis being #1 based on one data point*

"lighten up man, no one is holding anyone to anything"

Saw on Twitter today Billy Edwards posted a few supportive retweets for Hartman. I do hope he lights it up at Maryland at some point soon.

Could it be that both Griffis and Kern are very good, that both can run the RPO, that both are smart and capable, but Griffis is slightly better?

It's all about making the right reads. Kern and Griffis can both throw the ball and can both run, although my understanding was that Kern has a better arm and Griffis is more athletic. I'm sure Clawson made the decision based on Griffis running the offense more effectively.

Its just odd given Kern looked so much better both running and passing in spring game not to mention he was typically 1st off in years past. You can try to make light of the spring game, but there is a reason you play it to see who is going to step up when its game time vs. practice. So Griffis must be lights out in practice as he looked meh at best in spring game not to mention he just looks short out there and hard to see how he can even see over the line. They list him @ 5'11" which means he is really 5'9" which doesn't typically work out unless your kyler murray.

Also wonder how much of it is Clawson feels a more agile QB is more likely to give Clemson fits to keep them honest and get the running game going with Griffis as he does look the part of a a better runner although yet to show much. Guess we will see in 3 weeks!

Don’t forget that we have had zero problem using more than one QB.

I think it's as simple as if all things equal, go with the kid who has 4 seasons of eligibility left. If Clawson sees both guys as equally capable of winning games, I think you invest the reps in the future.

Could it be that both Griffis and Kern are very good, that both can run the RPO, that both are smart and capable, but Griffis is slightly better?

Ding! Ding! Ding! I think we have a winner!

griffis might be good but he's looked awful 100% of the time we've been able to see him play

"I don't get Griffis being #1 given his spring performance or lack thereof. I can only assume that Kern simply can't run the RPO as required or expected by Clawson. He certainly has the better arm of the two."

*pushes back on the written assumption that Kern can't run the RPO as required or expected by Clawson*
*pushes back on the written statement of not understanding Griffis being #1 based on one data point*

"lighten up man, no one is holding anyone to anything"

What the hell is up with you? Get a life or maybe a grip on life. We're discussing 20 year old kids playing football and who might start. This is not some personal attack. Geez. I thought RJ Karl was banned from this place.

Griffis high school tape said he was 6 foot. He looked that tall in the game film for what its worth. He also looked very good throwing on the run.

griffis might be good but he's looked awful 100% of the time we've been able to see him play

I seem to remember him looking pretty damn good against Clemson's 2s and 3s in 2020.

ETA, nevermind he was 2-6 for 28 yds. Did have a TD though.

Griffis will defeat Clemson and shock the world.

Don’t forget that we have had zero problem using more than one QB.

Ugh. Yeah. I’m glad Clawson came out and named his guy instead of dragging it out.

AT Perry and WR gonna start blocking really well, if we were going to pass a lot, that's not happening now.

Our backs become the focus now, not the WR.

AT Perry and WR gonna start blocking really well, if we were going to pass a lot, that's not happening now.

Our backs become the focus now, not the WR.

If anything, I could see the opposite. WR's needing to get more open to give Griffis wider throwing windows. Atorian isn't built to hit people and move them. He is built to catch footballs.

Back