• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Soooo who’s going to throw the ball now?

Yeah, the spring game stuff is definitely overrated. As an tOSU fan, I remember the fanbase freaking out after Justin Fields looked awful in the spring game in 2019. Pretty funny looking back. Think the same thing happened with Haskins (RIP) too. Now, those guys were a lot more highly regarded talent-wise than Griffis/Kern, but the principle still applies.

I was hoping for Kern to be the guy, as I've heard from a couple folks close to the program he has a stronger arm and throws a prettier ball than Sam, but it seems apparent he doesn't have as strong a grasp on the offense as Griffis.

Means nothing, but in warmups Kern has always impressed me with his delivery.

Kern throws a great ball. Quick easy release and catchable. For the vast majority of the seasons in our current offense, WF has needed two QBs because that position is exposed more than in other offenses. Kern very likely will get his chances in competitive games even if he's not currently QB1.

say Mitch blows up and we are undefeated and top 5ish after week 5 when Hartmann is ready to return. then what do you do?

Would love to have that problem. Sam's team

This being Mitch's 3rd year on campus is the difference between true freshman Sam starting in 2018.

*If* Mitch truly has the grasp of this offense, and the all important timing of the mesh point, I don't think we will see a huge dropoff in ppg or ypg from last year.

I know Griffis has been named QB1 for now and should take the majority of snaps, but it might be wise to let Kern get some quality PT in the second half if we're blowing out the cupcakes. If Griffis goes down, we're in really bad shape. We need both of these guys to get meaningful game reps.

What Pilchard said!

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has run this offense like Wolford his senior year. If that's the comparison, I am excited.

Ahh, so let me backtrack a bit: I was talking more about similar size (Griffis listed 5-11, 192; Wolford listed 6-1, 200), pocket presence, mobility, athleticism, competitive edge/savvy, arm strength and accuracy.

Wolford's 2017 is a high bar and I think it's asking a bit too much of Griffis to have that kind of efficiency/grasp with the system. Truth be told, we won't *know* how well Mitch runs the offense until VMI (honestly might need Vanderbilt too).

I don't think anyone has run this offense like Wolford his senior year. If that's the comparison, I am excited.

The first part of 2017 was pretty rough offensively (particularly the FSU game through the GT game). Seemed like we really opened up the offense more starting in that memorable Louisville game and beyond. Hartman had ~500 more scrimmage yards and 11 more TDs last season than Wolford in 2017. That's a lot. He did have 8 more INTs though.

The future of the position has been Mitch since the spring. Along with the comparable reasons listed above, he's just got some leadership and calmness to him that makes him the clear-cut choice. The spring game was a bad showing but man, now that that thing is on TV, Clawson is going to show NOTHING substantive in those.

I would add, Tigerswood, there was a bit of a philosophical shift in that season. Remember to that point, Wake's defense was strong (Elko for 3 years and the start of '17 was actually decent defensively). Their "formula" for winning games was still lean on the defense, get enough from the offense. The wheels came off of the defense in the post-bye game at GT and I think the philosophy shifted to "fuck, we've gotta outscore Lamar instead of relying on our defense to stop him."

Haha, typical sports message board... arguing about a highly unlikely, proposed, hypothetical situation.

Sure, but four years ago we didn't think Jamie Newman was Jamie Newman.

I disagree; there were folks that thought Newman should have started over Hartman before the injury

Haha, typical sports message board... arguing about a highly unlikely, proposed, hypothetical situation.

agreed - we are now prohibitive underdogs vs Clemson, and I don't expect Hartman to return until much later in the season, if at all

The first part of 2017 was pretty rough offensively (particularly the FSU game through the GT game). Seemed like we really opened up the offense more starting in that memorable Louisville game and beyond. Hartman had ~500 more scrimmage yards and 11 more TDs last season than Wolford in 2017. That's a lot. He did have 8 more INTs though.

Wolford's efficiency beats Sam by a lot. I love them both, but they have different strengths.

Also, Wolford ran for nearly 700 yards and 10 TDs his senior year. Sam has about 700 yards for his career. Wolford was the best decision-maker we have had at quarterback and his running ability made it even more dynamic.

Last edited:
Back