• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good Scotch

Shooshmoo

Reaction score
I enjoy the popular "Good Bourbon" thread (and the beer thread), so I thought a Good Scotch thread may have some takers.

I'll start it out: my wife got me a bottle of the Ardbeg Corryvreckan for Christmas, and it is knock you out powerful and amazing.

Everyday Scotch I typically go with Balvenie Doublewood. Also, a big fan of Isle of Jura (10 year and Superstition) and Laphroiag 10.

Anyone else tried anything they like recently?

My every day scotch is Glenlivet 18. I'm a total n00b, right?

I know nothing about scotch except that it's delicious.

Balvenie is pretty good, but I prefer Macallan 12. Of the peaty single malts I like Talisker and Lagavulin.

So, how many single malts do you have in stock?

An old cheaper standby is Old Pulteney. I can usually find it for less than $40 for 750mL as a single malt, cheapest one available that I've found and since its the northern-most distilled scotch it has a unique taste. I may like others slightly more but it has the best bang for the buck IMO.

I just got back from Scotland and now I'm a Scotch fan.

Really liked Tullibardine, Edradour and Old Pulteney.

I'm not an Islay fan, too smoky for me.

My buddy lose the Islay Scotch so Laphroiag is his favorite.

Forgot to include Caol Ila...Either the 12 year or Distillers Edition

I've only found the price difference between basic 10 yr Laphroiag and Talisker to be like $5 bucks or so

I just got back from Scotland and now I'm a Scotch fan.

Really liked Tullibardine, Edradour and Old Pulteney.

I'm not an Islay fan, too smoky for me.

Edradour is the shit. Brought a bottle of that home from my trip to Scotland a couple years ago. My only regret is that I didn't buy four or five.

Maryland

The peppery taste of Talisker certainly isn't for everyone though

In Virginia it's $55 vs $71...not as much of a difference as I remember. Then again, I remember when all of them were 25-30% less than they are now.

Scotch is a passion of mine. Not a big fan of the Islay stuff--too smokey.

It has also become a special occasion drink for me as the prices are just too much for our budget to handle on a regular basis.

I did spend a Christmas at Gleneagles resort in Scotland a couple of years ago. Their bar is ridiculous. Real fireplaces, more types of Scotch than I could ever try and they do not close.

So, how many single malts do you have in stock?

Not many -- I tend to drink them. I'm a buy a bottle, drink it, repeat guy. I'm going to hold on to the Ardbeg my wife gave me as I have held on to a Balvenie 17 year peated cask bottle she gave me for my birthday.

I had Macallan 12 several years ago when I was first drinking Scotch, didn't care for it, and haven't picked it up since, but I think I should try it again.

Also a fan of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban or LaSanta in the high end everyday range.

Laphroiag is great, but Talisker and Lagavulin are better (although much more expensive).

Yeah he loved Talisker too. Didn't get over there to get a bottle.

Back