• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

yeah on the show last night he was hanging out with the ProFish guys (who I think are the major seafood supplier to nice restaurants around here) and they said that demand is way up, which is a great thing. another invasive species that's supposed to be delicious is lionfish. that fish is taking over reefs up and down the Atlantic and Gulf and it has no predators.

My next flex day I'm going to wait in line at Little Serow, I have wanted to try it for months.

Really want to get back to LS. We both loved it when we went in the fall.

Headed to Boundary Road tomorrow night for LadyDeacToy's bday (and inadvertently it's apparently the 1-year anniversary celebration that night). Any menu suggestions?

anyone know what a wait time is like on a weekday? right across the street from my office, so easy to get there early.

anyone know what a wait time is like on a weekday? right across the street from my office, so easy to get there early.

We got there an hour before they opened and made it in pretty easily.

ok I need an answer from someone whose used the ladies' room at Proof (weird question I know):

so, in a few weeks my aunt is hosting a bridal shower for my fiance here in town (a tea at the Mandarin). that night, my fiance and I are going out to dinner with her aunt, who is marrying us, and this will be my first time meeting her. her mom is going to dinner with her godmother and the daughter of the aunt and wanted somewhere elegant to go and I gave her a list from that she picked Proof. but then I remembered that the men's room at Proof has all these naked ladies on the wall and I don't know what the ladies' room is like. her godmother is like super religious (everyone's going to hell, don't celebrate Halloween, all that) and I know would be mortified if she went in the bathroom and saw that, and would probably call me a heathen or whatever. anyone know? should I steer them elsewhere?

I haven't been for awhile but when I went, I told my date about the pictures in the mens room and she said there was nothing like that in the ladies room. Could just call the restaurant.

Also, the owner of proof is an utter douche.

I haven't been for awhile but when I went, I told my date about the pictures in the mens room and she said there was nothing like that in the ladies room. Could just call the restaurant.

I had the same conversation with my girlfriend, she said there was nothing.

Fuck yes he is. And I'm pretty sure that this is a universal opinion.

well I've never met him, isn't his dad the real owner or something and he's just an entitled son? I just know that that they have delicious food there and at Estadio, and their bringing I think an Asian spot to 14th St.

Fuck yes he is. And I'm pretty sure that this is a universal opinion.

I actually got into a mega e-battle with him over a message board review of Proof, and it was overall a positive review with like 2 nitpicks mentioned. He lost two customers that day.

did anyone see Bizarre Foods DC last night?

he went to Jaleo and America Eats, ate at some food trucks, went to FL Ave Grill (never been there), went to Common Good Farm, had some Salvadorean food, ate snakehead at The Source, and went fishing for snakehead. gotta say, I really wanna try that fish. I've heard nothing but great things. they caught one and cooked it up as a simple fish sandwich and it looked awesome.

I thought it was a good episode, all in all, kind of hit some major points with the food trucks, the soul food, the salvadorean food, the urban farming scene, the snakehead.

The only thing I hate is that shows always portray DC as being all Fed buildings with nowhere to eat. Its true down by the mall so I can see why tourists always say that, but its a city of pocket neighborhoods and you kind of need to get out there. There's a billion places to eat lunch near where I work (dupont).

We went to Eden Center on Sunday night and ate some ridiculous Vietnamese food. Also went to a market there and bought some frozen perch and sea snails. If anybody lives in the city and has a car, its worth trekking out to 7 corners to experience Eden Center. Might want to bring your passport too, that is as close to another country as anywhere I have been in the region.

I thought it was a good episode, all in all, kind of hit some major points with the food trucks, the soul food, the salvadorean food, the urban farming scene, the snakehead.

The only thing I hate is that shows always portray DC as being all Fed buildings with nowhere to eat. Its true down by the mall so I can see why tourists always say that, but its a city of pocket neighborhoods and you kind of need to get out there. There's a billion places to eat lunch near where I work (dupont).

Yeah he was near the State Dept. which isn't that far from Foggy Bottom, at least on a nice day it's a good walk if you're able to get out of the office. Tourists for the most part are lazy and don't like to walk far, but really, from most of the museums you're no more than a 15-20 min walk to Penn Quarter, the Hill, etc.

There is a virtual wasteland on the other side of the Mall, though, unless you're close enough to the Hill or eat at the Mandarin's restaurants every day. I can see the huge need for the food trucks to head over there.

So wife and I spent the night at L'Auberge Provencale on Sun night and had dinner at the restaurant there. It's one of the higher rated restaurants in the area, and it was good, but it's not in the same solar system as the Inn at Little Washington. It was way less than half the price of the Inn, both in terms of the room and the dinner, so it had that going for it, but I think I would rather pay double for the awesomness of the Inn.

fiancee's parents have done the Inn several times and rave about it and always tell us "that's the kind of place you'll have to hit up when you're married, but you can't afford it now." fingers crossed for a gift certificate.

It's unbelievably great, both in terms of the meal and the inn itself.

A friend of mine use to work at the Inn. He's got so many stories. The true ballers rent out the estate house, which is about 20 mins away from IALW. It over looks the valley and one of the chefs is there all weekend for you. Limo transport to/from the Inn for dinner both nights, etc.

Obviously a bunch of celebs have rolled through. One night though, some random dude went all out and brought in a party of 8 and rented out a room. He ordered a 10k bottle of wine and told them to just keep them coming. The tip on the bill that night was in the neighborhood of 20k, which after being distributed down to the whole floor, everyone walked away with at least an extra 800 in their pocket from that one table.

Back