• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

One other couple. The girl part of the two was scared, so we had vastly different menus. I had some interesting things, one of which was sperm sac. All of the jokes/comparisons I could come up with are true, but it was really fucking good. NTTAWWT.

I may actually try and go back tomorrow sine most people will be scared of the snow.

is it a total shitshow?

Pretty much. We were near the front of the line so we got spots right on the bar. But in general people are passing plates all over the place and it's packed so moving around is a pain in the ass. They did make a ton of food though so it chilled out a little after 11pm.

One other couple. The girl part of the two was scared, so we had vastly different menus. I had some interesting things, one of which was sperm sac. All of the jokes/comparisons I could come up with are true, but it was really fucking good. NTTAWWT.

I may actually try and go back tomorrow sine most people will be scared of the snow.

How much does that run? I really want to try it w/Df09toy sometime this month, but worried she won't be as adventurous. So we'll probably end up just doing the regular sushi tasting when we go.

it was $140 for me the other week. I think it's usually between $120-150 depending on the ingredients available. My meal included fugu, which I think upped it somewhat. I think you can request some more premium things and it raises the cost. I had one beer and a $30 carafe of sake (you get to pick your sake cup!). I know nothing about sake, so let the chef pick a bottle for me.

James Beard nominations came out yesterday. Komi and Rasika got the nominations for Best Chef: Mid-Atlantic along with Restaurant Eve in Alexandria (and Woodberry Kitchen in Baltimore <3 /plug), CityZen got nominated for Outstanding Wine Program, C.F. Folks for American Classics (and Prince's Hot Fried Chicken!), and Bill Yosses, White House Executive Pastry Chef, for Who's Who of Food and Beverage in America

the Post said he's been nominated 6x in a row, so hopefully he can win it

My friend is staying at the Renaissance (between Foggy Bottom and Dupont) and needs a lunch recommendation for Saturday. What do you all think is the best place within walking distance? I was thinking DC Bread and Brew.

My friend is staying at the Renaissance (between Foggy Bottom and Dupont) and needs a lunch recommendation for Saturday. What do you all think is the best place within walking distance? I was thinking DC Bread and Brew.

Founding Farmers isn't a terrible walk from there.

Has anyone been to The Source's dim sum brunch? Do you know if it's reservation only or they have room for some walkins? We're thinking of hitting up the National Gallery on Saturday and have been wanting to try this brunch, but of course there are no reservations so close to the date.

Alternative brunch suggestions in Penn Quarter? I guess Oyamel, Jaleo, Zaytinya, Cedar, etc are all options. If not going to The Source I think we wanted something cheaper, but having a brain fart on the area.

Has anyone been to The Source's dim sum brunch? Do you know if it's reservation only or they have room for some walkins? We're thinking of hitting up the National Gallery on Saturday and have been wanting to try this brunch, but of course there are no reservations so close to the date.

Alternative brunch suggestions in Penn Quarter? I guess Oyamel, Jaleo, Zaytinya, Cedar, etc are all options. If not going to The Source I think we wanted something cheaper, but having a brain fart on the area.

a little bit a of a walk, but you could also consider Art and Soul and Bistro Bis

a little bit a of a walk, but you could also consider Art and Soul and Bistro Bis

Thanks.

We ended up going with Zaytinya (been meaning to go back since I haven't been for years and it was top 10 in Washingtontonian recently)

Went to Table tonight - very cool place. Had lamb belly on special which was awesome. Actually got to sit basically right where the chefs were prepping food which was fun. They plated some veal sweetbreads that looked amazing and I talked to the chef about them - 15 minutes later he plates up a half portion and gives it to us to try. Best thing we had all night.

Went to Table tonight - very cool place. Had lamb belly on special which was awesome. Actually got to sit basically right where the chefs were prepping food which was fun. They plated some veal sweetbreads that looked amazing and I talked to the chef about them - 15 minutes later he plates up a half portion and gives it to us to try. Best thing we had all night.

Sweetbreads are one of my favorite foods. That said, bad sweetbreads are beyond disgusting. Proof makes a damn good sweetbread dish, as does Mintwood Place, and I think the best in town are at Bistro Lepic. Citronelle's were the worst I've had in town. I have to think it was an anomaly, but they were inedible... it was like they were spoiled or something.

Sweetbreads are one of my favorite foods. That said, bad sweetbreads are beyond disgusting. Proof makes a damn good sweetbread dish, as does Mintwood Place, and I think the best in town are at Bistro Lepic. Citronelle's were the worst I've had in town. I have to think it was an anomaly, but they were inedible... it was like they were spoiled or something.

Funny, that is the exact discussion we had prior to trying theirs - and is why I hardly ever order them. I've had them at Proof but none of the other places you mentioned. They also had lamb belly which I'd never tried before, also was great. But not as good as those sweetbreads...

Back