• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

Proof does have some damn fine sweetbreads. When I last went they were fried and served with pickled veal tongue.

Went to Zaytinya last night and just as tasty as ever. The lamb kleftico (shoulder wrapped in phylo) is one of the best dishes in the city. I don't get why it's always considered a special, I've never not seen it being served.

I haven't eaten at Zaytinya in a long long time. Maybe as long as 4 or 5 years. Maybe I'll have to rectify that soon.

So did anyone else check out the beer festival at nationals park on Sat or Sun? We went for the 1:00 session on Sat. It was okay, but still a good time. Very few of the breweries brought their A-game. I think they were all a little too safe in what they brought. A whole lot of IPAs. Was glad Bluejacket was there since I hadn't tried any of their beers yet. But we got plenty shitty there and then took it to a different level afterwards when the drinking really kicked in to full gear.

I meant to buy tickets but completely forgot and they sold out. Wouldn't have mattered any way since fiancee had a job fair out at the Dulles Hilton (woof -- not where you want to spend your Saturday), so I got up and took her there. spent the afternoon tux shopping and found a great pho place (Super Pho) around the corner from the Hilton.

We had a bunch of friends who went to the beerfest. Glad the weather cooperated and was at least sunny if not that warm. Being knocked up as put a damper on my drinking social life, alas!

We also hit up Zaytinya on Saturday for brunch, and I also probably hadn't been in at least 5+ years. Definitely made me want to go back more frequently. The Soujouk Pide and Bantijan Bil Laban (crispy eggplant) were our favorite of what we had, but really everything was very good. I like the space a lot too. Will try to go back when the patio is open.

gonna hit up Pho 14 in AdMo tonight after looking at an apt in the area. looks decent.

Looking for a place with good food to watch the games with my dad tonight. I normally only go to crappy sportsbars or just plain bars. What do you all think?

Got the tasting menu and wine pairing at Al Tiramisu last week. Fantastic, but worth the price? No. Just cannont be justified, especially when you are paying for four. Have a lot of other expenses right now, so gonna try to tone it down this summer and maybe make a splash in the fall for my next splurge. Interested in any recs on the more economical side in the meantime.

Just got a spur of the moment res for Rogue 24 tonight. I really like it. Not everything is amazing, but I always enjoy the experience.

Not a bad call. Any other suggestions? I'm thinking somewhere in Chinatown.

Redline? I've never been, but I know people that like it. Acadiana also usually has sports on the TVs at the bar IIRC. Bar Louie has decent food for a sports bar, and the same for Lucky Strike upstairs from BL.

I wouldn't wanna be around all those Cuse fans -- we were at Fado once and forgot they were playing GTown. About 10 minutes after the game ended the entire bar was Orange and we were surrounded by a bunch of dbag New Yawkers.

We watched the games last Friday at Lola's on Barrack's Row. Not gourmet food, but we're usually pretty satisfied there.

Hit up Ambar last night for the first time. The space makeover is MUCH improved from Jordan's 8. Perhaps a little pricey for what you get, but we liked everything we had (split 9 small plates between 4 of us).

If you wanted something more chill, the bar at Carving Room in Chinatown has like 10 seats and they have 2 tv's. Food is sandwiches but they're awesome, best Reuben in the city possibly. It's still a little under the radar so it might not be packed like Redline or Matchbox or those places.

http://www.carvingroom.com/

RedLine is actually a pretty solid place to watch the games in Chinatown. Usually hit that spot up before Wizards/Caps games.

Some dude I was friends with at one point in elementary school posted this. He moved to Texas at some point, went to Texas, and is really smart and a good human being, but this made me want to punch him.

"I just want good food, and DC doesn't really have good food aside from these food trucks which provide great food, and you want to take them and their good food away from me? Why do I even live here?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox...ulations_a_bad_solution_to_a_non_problem.html"

Back