• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

Has anyone been to the Tiki Bar next to the Passenger?

Yessssssss. Good to hear. What did you get?

We got the fennel salad and the grilled beef tongue to start, and wife had the grilled hen and I had the sweetbreads. Everything was excellent. Place was a complete shitshow last night. When we walked in for our 7:30 reservation they were telling people that it was 2 1/2 hour wait. It ended up being about 2 hours for they couple that walked in directly in front of us, because they got seated as we left.

I also like that they have a fairly large bar which may ease some of the crowding at the other local places.

I'm also pumped for the spanish restaurant to open up across the street, though there's no telling when that will be.

you know, I'm moving to Adams Morgan next month, but now am sorta wondering if I should've moved to Bloomingdale. oh well, I will be sad to leave the Hill, but excited for my new hood and all the new places to try.

My girlfriend just moved to right across the street from Jack Rose. I am excited for the lack of walking/cabbing I'll have to do when wasted.

you know, I'm moving to Adams Morgan next month, but now am sorta wondering if I should've moved to Bloomingdale. oh well, I will be sad to leave the Hill, but excited for my new hood and all the new places to try.

It's possible things have improved a bit since I left two years ago, but the Adams Morgan food scene isn't so hot. Proximity to Amsterdam and Julia's is clutch, though.

Amsterdam is huge.

They have a few good new places...Smoke and Barrel, Mintwood Place, Jack Rose. Pho 14 just opened up there, too. Maybe not the best pho, but will nice to have in walking distance.

We got the fennel salad and the grilled beef tongue to start, and wife had the grilled hen and I had the sweetbreads. Everything was excellent. Place was a complete shitshow last night. When we walked in for our 7:30 reservation they were telling people that it was 2 1/2 hour wait. It ended up being about 2 hours for they couple that walked in directly in front of us, because they got seated as we left.

I also like that they have a fairly large bar which may ease some of the crowding at the other local places.

Agree with a lot of this. Some friends and I came in at 8, put our names in, and hit up Boundary for a few hours before being called back. We'd already eaten dinner, so we just had a few cocktails and split the fusilli pasta dish, which was pretty good (though a bit small for $15).

Love the 3 sided setup of the bar. Will definitely be a good place to chill for a couple hours when the crowds die down in the coming weeks. Glad to have a new place in the neighborhood.

Graffiato Saturday night. Haven't been since shortly after it opened. Anyone been recently? What's good? Tasting menu vs a la carte?

Graffiato Saturday night. Haven't been since shortly after it opened. Anyone been recently? What's good? Tasting menu vs a la carte?

The pizza with the duck egg is still one of my favorite things EVAR. I really like the tasting menu, but I find that it is simply too much food, especially if there are only two people.

Their brussels sprouts sprouts were really good. It's the little sides and small plates that tend to be awesome. There's better pizza in DC.

If they have crispy oven roasted goat or lamb GET THAT. so good. Pizza with duck egg is great, as is the Jersey Shore, and the roast bone marrow too. The agnolotti with sweet corn is delicious but might not be available yet.

Finally checked out Sundevich on Saturday and they make a damn good sandwich. There are defs a lot of things on their menu I want to check out.

Finally checked out Sundevich on Saturday and they make a damn good sandwich. There are defs a lot of things on their menu I want to check out.

Weird. Just went there for lunch for the first time in forever.

I like their sandwiches, but always come away with the feeling that they could be better.

Weird. Just went there for lunch for the first time in forever.

I like their sandwiches, but always come away with the feeling that they could be better.

I can see that, but I liked that they were a little more interesting than most places.

So I also tried out Table this weekend. I thought it was good. Not amazing, but good and worth a trip back. The tuna tartar appetizer was really good as was the whole dorade. I did not care for my wife's pork loin all that much (it was kind of bland and the "BBQ" sauce it was served with was meh). My friend had the duck rillete to start, which was awesome but definitely a meal unto itself, and then the guinea hen which was really good.

it will be interesting to see how Table does with his other place Azur opening soon since he's a first time restaurant owner I believe. I haven't been to either, but we went to Smith Commons when he was the opening chef and thought it was so so.

it will be interesting to see how Table does with his other place Azur opening soon since he's a first time restaurant owner I believe. I haven't been to either, but we went to Smith Commons when he was the opening chef and thought it was so so.

I've never been to Smith Commons, but I've never heard one positive thing about it. They are apparently the only place on upper H Street that doesn't hire the local crew of waiters and bartenders, so the workers at other places like Queen Vic, Pug, Sova (RIP) and Biergarden hated it, and so when I was around any of them (which was pretty much every time I was on H) I was forbidden to go.

what do you mean by doesn't hire the local crew of waiters?

is there like some kind of union?

I've been there for dinner like twice...and I think were both under dePue...and once for brunch, which was awful. probably my worst brunch experience here and we were one of only a handful other tables. Smith Commons is ok to have a drink or two. I do enjoy their second floor with a huge window overlooking H Street and their back deck.

what do you mean by doesn't hire the local crew of waiters?

is there like some kind of union?

not exactly. But most of the people who work on H work at multiple places in some capcity, and the businesses help each other out... That is, excetpt for SC, or so I'm told. For all I know it's some petty bullshit, but that's just what the folks I know have told me.

Back