• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

Some dude I was friends with at one point in elementary school posted this. He moved to Texas at some point, went to Texas, and is really smart and a good human being, but this made me want to punch him.

"I just want good food, and DC doesn't really have good food aside from these food trucks which provide great food, and you want to take them and their good food away from me? Why do I even live here?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox...ulations_a_bad_solution_to_a_non_problem.html"

Yeah, that just ain't true.

GBD -- the new chicken and donuts place from the Churchkey peeps -- opens on Friday but they're giving food away until 2 today. Just stopped in and had a delicious carrot cake donut and am about to tuck into a fried chicken lunchbox at my desk. Came with 2 pieces, a choice of sauce, side, slaw, and biscuit. The chicken is delicious. Will be a welcome addition to the lunch scene. Looks like I won't be eating dinner.

GBD -- the new chicken and donuts place from the Churchkey peeps -- opens on Friday but they're giving food away until 2 today. Just stopped in and had a delicious carrot cake donut and am about to tuck into a fried chicken lunchbox at my desk. Came with 2 pieces, a choice of sauce, side, slaw, and biscuit. The chicken is delicious. Will be a welcome addition to the lunch scene. Looks like I won't be eating dinner.

DAMMIT! I saw the sign up outside and the tape down yesterday and noticed they had a "private party" sign taped up when I came in this morning. Haven't left the office today and didn't see this in time to walk down the maybe 20 feet from my building's front door.

I guess I'll have to wait til Friday.

yeah I was on POPVille and he posted an article about the party with a tweet from Tiffany MacIsaac saying they were giving shit away at until 2. Sorry I didn't post about it before, but saw it right I was heading out for lunch. I thought it was just donuts. Then I see people eating chicken when I get in and I realize it was all free.

The potato salad was ok, a little too mayo-y and had bacon. I would probably order a different side but this was all they had. The biscuit was a little on the sweet side, but tasted good dipped into their homemade buffalo sauce.

That's what I get for being busy with actual work today and not up-to-date on my blog reading :p

Just saw the Post article that they'll have something like 11 kinds of donuts with rotating flavors and a fried chicken on sweet potato roll/biscuit for breakfast. Then chicken lunch boxes with a number of sides (including pimento mac and cheese).

Dangerously close to my office.

That's what I get for being busy with actual work today and not up-to-date on my blog reading :p

Just saw the Post article that they'll have something like 11 kinds of donuts with rotating flavors and a fried chicken on sweet potato roll/biscuit for breakfast. Then chicken lunch boxes with a number of sides (including pimento mac and cheese).

Dangerously close to my office.

I work on N, so it's not far from me either. Might have to check it out once it opens for reals.

https://twitter.com/tiffmacisaac

check here

they were just walking around with trays of donuts and you could order the chicken at the counter. they were assembling the boxes assembly-line style, so it was pretty quick in and out.

any new places (opened within the past 18 months) near penn quarter that would be good for lunch tomorrow?

Bar Mini was great. Drinks were expensive (as expected) but made with good liquor, fresh ingredients, and were all tasty. The bartenders definitely know their stuff- we sat at the bar, and spent a lot of time just watching them do their thing. The grilled cheese sandwich we had was also great. Fun, but very laid back, atmosphere and interesting decor and seating.

They are slowly building up capacity, so be on the lookout for new reservations to open up, and they also take walkins starting at 11:30 after the Mini Bar people finish up.

Picked up pastrami sandwiches from DGS the other night, very good, if overpriced (13 bucks). Can't call in, but order at bar and ready in about 5 or 10 minutes

Had a pretty enjoyable lunch at Graffiato on Thursday. Did the $20 bar lunch deal, which, while kind of pricey for lunch, was an absurd value considering the volume of food involved.

Went to opening night of Red Hen tonight. It is legit good. Really enjoyed it. And even more happy that there is another option on the hood.

Went to opening night of Red Hen tonight. It is legit good. Really enjoyed it. And even more happy that there is another option on the hood.

Yessssssss. Good to hear. What did you get?

Back