• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

2019 Concacaf U-17 Championship Roster by Position (Club; Hometown; U-17 Caps/Goals)

GOALKEEPERS (2): 1-Damian Las (Chicago Fire; Norridge, Ill.; 13/0), 12-Chituru Odunze (Vancouver Whitecaps FC/CAN; Calgary, Alta.; 4/0)

DEFENDERS (7): 4-Axel Alejandre (FC United; Chicago, Ill.; 14/0), 3-Adam Armour (North Carolina FC; Cary, N.C.; 11/0), 13-Mauricio Cuevas (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.; 2/0), 14-Tayvon Gray (New York City FC; Bronx, N.Y.; 10/0), 5-Kobe Hernandez (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.; 14/1), 2-Joseph Scally (New York City FC; Lake Grove, N.Y.; 14/1), 15-John Tolkin (New York Red Bulls; Chatham, N.J.; 3/0)

MIDFIELDERS (5): 7-Gianluca Busio (Sporting Kansas City; Greensboro, N.C.; 7/2), 20-Gilbert Fuentes (San Jose Earthquakes; Tracy, Calif.; 13/0), 8-Bryang Kayo (D.C. United; Poolesville, Md.; 0/0), 6-Daniel Leyva (Seattle Sounders FC; Las Vegas, Nev.; 0/0), 16-Adam Saldana (LA Galaxy; Panorama City, Calif.; 17/1)

FORWARDS (6): 18-Jack de Vries (Philadelphia Union; Wayne, Pa.; 0/0), 17-Tyler Freeman (Sporting Kansas City; Shawnee, Kan.; 3/1), 19-Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez (Tacoma Defiance; Kent, Wash.; 14/5), 9-Ricardo Pepi (North Texas SC; McKinney, Texas; 6/1), 10-Giovanni Reyna (Unattached; Bedford, N.Y.; 8/1), 11-Griffin Yow (D.C. United; Clifton, Va.; 6/3)

John Brooks' name is pretty much written in permanent marker in our starting lineup, but maybe we're playing him at the wrong position. :)

Because I'm bored, expanding to 30 I could see the league moving to three divisions. Lets add a North Carolina team as #30, but you could make it work with a team located anywhere in the East or Central (flip Nashville)

I could see the league dividing into three divisions:

East: NE, NYCFC, NYRB, DC, Philly, Inter Miami, Atlanta, Toronto, Montreal, Orlando, North Carolina

Central: Minnesota, Chicago, Columbus, Austin, Dallas, Houston, SKC, St. Louis, Nashville, Cincinnati

West: LA Galaxy, LAFC, Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, San Jose, Seattle, Sacramento, Colorado, Real Salt Lake

Play home and home with division rivals (18 total games)
Play every other team once, alternate home and away each year (20 games)

= 38 games , same as EPL

- 11 team playoff, top three from each division qualify (9 teams), 2 wild card spots to teams who have highest point total. Division winners get bye in first round. Seedings after that determined by point totals.

- Division winners get CCL spots for the next season
- fourth spot goes to U.S. Open Cup winner
- fifth spot goes to MLS Cup champ, or runner up if that champ already has one. If both finalists already claim a CCL spot, the last spot goes to highest regular season point total of team not already qualified.

Don Garber would you like to hire me?

I think he might as the above looks spot on to me pending what city gets team 30. Phoenix, Charlotte, Raleigh, Detroit? Whatevs. They can make that general format work and it makes sense.

FWIW, if the new stadium in Minnesota is essentially a par for all new stadiums going forward, then MLS is doing a ton of things right. Went to the opener there and was completely blown away by the place. Every seat is a good seat and the stadium is just perfect for now in terms of size with the ability to put another 5-6K seats in down the road as the fan base grows. Solid food choices. Great beer choices - brew hall has almost 100 taps (no long lines). Obviously all a bit pricey. But what was best was the general atmosphere of the place. You're so close to the field and they didn't overpipe in tons of music etc. and let the crowd dictate things. My 17 year old who generally avoids live sports events walked in and within the first 15 minutes of the kickoff asked how many games we had tickets for this year. I imagine what is coming to Cincy, Austin, Miami, etc. will be at least as good.

as shown by the rumored MLS involvement with buying the Fire out of their suburban stadium contract in favor of moving back into the city, there seems to be the political and financial capital to push teams into manageable soccer-specific stadiums in urban areas

as shown by the rumored MLS involvement with buying the Fire out of their suburban stadium contract in favor of moving back into the city, there seems to be the political and financial capital to push teams into manageable soccer-specific stadiums in urban areas

Apart from the Krafts who claim to have been thisssss close a handful of times to a Boston stadium, but continue building the franchise to the suburban market instead. Really wish they'd sell.

I think a lot of first wave MLS teams were banking on suburban families and their stadiums were placed accordingly

newer teams are packing the house with younger city-dwellers

I think a lot of first wave MLS teams were banking on suburban families and their stadiums were placed accordingly

newer teams are packing the house with younger city-dwellers

Yep. And the rebirth of the MLS is primarily owed to urban support. Which really sucks for a progressive club like FC Dallas who is stuck way out in Frisco.

Apart from the Krafts who claim to have been thisssss close a handful of times to a Boston stadium, but continue building the franchise to the suburban market instead. Really wish they'd sell.

The maddening thing about the Fire is that you could have a city location that caters to both the city and the suburbs, but by choosing to build a stadium in Bridgeview, they chose a location that is difficult to get to for most in the city and for large portions of Chicago's suburbs. The stadium itself is not the problem (it's soccer specific, it's intimate, there are good sight lines everywhere), but it's an enormous pain in the ass to get there.

The maddening thing about the Fire is that you could have a city location that caters to both the city and the suburbs, but by choosing to build a stadium in Bridgeview, they chose a location that is difficult to get to for most in the city and for large portions of Chicago's suburbs. The stadium itself is not the problem (it's soccer specific, it's intimate, there are good sight lines everywhere), but it's an enormous pain in the ass to get there.

Yeah I really like whatever Chicago calls their stadium this year. Unfortunately the location and lack of atmosphere around the stadium just ruin it.

SeatGeek Stadium!

only positive is the prevalence of good Middle Eastern food in Bridgeview

Columbus' stadium is weird because it's not in the middle of nowhere, but also not downtown, and there is nothing around it. It's not terribly far from campus, but not in the direction of anything, unless something has drastically changed since the last time I went.

So I get why that owner wanted a new one, but it's in a weird middle ground at the fairgrounds.

I ate at a little Mexican spot across the street that wasn't bad. But I don't remember seeing anything else in the area.

yeah, it's a couple miles up Harlem Ave, but really the only time I get out to that part of the world

we pick it up for the tailgates

Columbus' stadium is weird because it's not in the middle of nowhere, but also not downtown, and there is nothing around it. It's not terribly far from campus, but not in the direction of anything, unless something has drastically changed since the last time I went.

So I get why that owner wanted a new one, but it's in a weird middle ground at the fairgrounds.

Kinda sounds like Carter Finley. We went there for the opener of the “first soccer specific stadium in the country” or something like that but I was a kid don’t remember much of it

I was up there for the US-Mexico match in '17 and was shocked at the randomness of the area that the stadium is in. It felt like I was attending a game in the middle of the Dixie Classic Fairgrounds. They definitely need a new downtown stadium.

alternatively, you can play on an iconic baseball field and shrink your field to youth size

That stadium has been a complete disaster for the city that built it. They raised a ton of debt and have not been able to service it without raising taxes on existing property owners. The location in terms of being close in terms of drive times for people is not bad, but there's just nothing around it and essentially zero public transport to the games. And the attendance reflects this. And if the Fire go back to Soldier Field do they eventually get their own stadium in the city limits? If so where is being discussed?

The new MN stadium is smack dab between downtown Mpls and downtown St. Paul and it is less than 100 yards from a metro train stop. Awful in terms of parking. But really easy to park near the train and just hop on and get to the stadium. I have to imagine it will be sort of what all the new stadiums are like in terms of quality. And they did a great job. We went tonight and it was just a great atmosphere.

Back