• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Kinda sounds like Carter Finley. We went there for the opener of the “first soccer specific stadium in the country” or something like that but I was a kid don’t remember much of it

It is definitely similar to Carter Finley. Fairgrounds, mile or two from campus, nothing around. Although I guess with the arena there is at least another sporting facility close by to Carter Finley and slightly more stuff has been built? I haven't been around that area in a while, either.

I was up there for the US-Mexico match in '17 and was shocked at the randomness of the area that the stadium is in. It felt like I was attending a game in the middle of the Dixie Classic Fairgrounds. They definitely need a new downtown stadium.

Yeah, it's not terrible to get to/park (I haven't been in a few years), but there's no real public transportation option (public transit in Columbus is virtually non-existent/inconvenient), and it's not even towards the direction of the richer 'burbs you'd think they might target. And it's got the highway on one side and train tracks on the other, so there's no real easy pedestrian access. Yet you can get to it in like 15 minutes from anywhere in the city, so it's kind of accessible?

Last edited:
And if the Fire go back to Soldier Field do they eventually get their own stadium in the city limits? If so where is being discussed?

The presumption is that they would get a soccer specific stadium, but no mention of when or where. There was a proposed stadium along the North Branch as part of a massive redevelopment of an industrial area that would be a Live Nation venue and host a USL team owned by the Ricketts. Got nixed during the zoning approval process

Chucky got absolutely clapped. Terrible challenge. Has to put the Gold Cup in question one would think

The presumption is that they would get a soccer specific stadium, but no mention of when or where. There was a proposed stadium along the North Branch as part of a massive redevelopment of an industrial area that would be a Live Nation venue and host a USL team owned by the Ricketts. Got nixed during the zoning approval process

It is really hard for me to envision where they'd put a stadium in the city proper that would be both convenient and desirable. I knew about that Ricketts deal but always figured that was going nowhere.

For those who have been following much more closely than me, is LAFC for real? Their early results are ridiculous - they're already +18 in GD.

For those who have been following much more closely than me, is LAFC for real? Their early results are ridiculous - they're already +18 in GD.

They certainly appear to be. They have the best player and coach in the league. Robo Bob has been reborn into Barca Bob. They are playing some beautiful stuff and Vela has been ridiculous.

It is really hard for me to envision where they'd put a stadium in the city proper that would be both convenient and desirable. I knew about that Ricketts deal but always figured that was going nowhere.

I think it'd be cool to put one off the Orange Line somewhere. Lean in to the Latino fanbase, plenty of land, thoughtful economic development.

I'd say yes. The west also looks quite a bit tougher than the East, making their results that much more impressive IMO. Seattle, LAG and LAFC all look really good. Houston and Dallas are both tough/talented teams. KC also probably a lock for the playoffs. MN has made some noise this year (although need more depth). And SJ after a brutal start has been playing really well the last 3 weeks too. Biggest surprise so far is Portland who has really struggled.

Out East DC has been up and down with their play but they'll be there. Toronto has surprised. NYRB has struggled and looks weaker. And Atlanta has struggled out of the gates - IMO when they lose the ball they look lost trying to press other teams. NYCFC has been in a funk for almost a year now and perhaps should can their coach bc they are talented.

I think it'd be cool to put one off the Orange Line somewhere. Lean in to the Latino fanbase, plenty of land, thoughtful economic development.

Admittedly I'm not up on all things gentrification Chicago, but I'd probably be looking somewhere more near West of downtown. The lack of general appeal of that I55 corridor is sort of what got the team into the mess they find themselves now even if getting to that stadium isn't that hard for many people with cars. The whole idea was the stadium they have now would help push development in Bridgeview. Obviously has not worked. Maybe if there was land just outside the loop downtown off that orange line?

Ideally, it would be something in or near Lincoln Park or Lake View, like the Ricketts family envisioned. A Wrigley like setting, while hard to duplicate, would be incredible.

If that's not possible, I would think that something west of downtown near the United Center could be a decent option. It's an area that's easy to reach and there are a ton of great restaurants and bars within walking distance. Similarly, Rosemont is a spot that's accessible to both the city and most suburbs, has decent public transportation options, and is near a decent restaurant and bar scene.

Any of these options would be far better than the isolation of Bridgeview.

there's a proposed new master development above the Metra tracks right by Soldier Field, which include a new train stop

could put a soccer stadium near Soldier Field where the Lucas museum was proposed might could work

there's a proposed new master development above the Metra tracks right by Soldier Field, which include a new train stop

could put a soccer stadium near Soldier Field where the Lucas museum was proposed might could work

It would be an amazing setting but getting to the lakefront is a major pain in the ass. I would far prefer something with a decent public transportation option. That's why building the new DePaul stadium at McCormick Place made no sense to me.

DeacMan, did you pick up an Ike jersey yet?

LOL. I'm too old to wear a jersey. But he and Gregus have, IMO, been the two best players on the team not named Quintero this year. It really isn't even close. Both those guys have been very solid. Ike missed the Toronto game and man did they look bad back there without him.

so much surface-level parking near UC -- total dead zone

would be great to shift toward transit and park-and-ride models and put the stadium there

Back