• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

‘The Blind Side’ was a lie

these two sentences back to back are very funny
There is a big difference between "driven, egotistical, mean, and cut-throat" and "evil". Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were/are both all of the former but I don't have any reason to believe they are/were the latter

There is a big difference between "driven, egotistical, mean, and cut-throat" and "evil". Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were/are both all of the former but I don't have any reason to believe they are/were the latter
Who on this thread said rich people are evil

But still how did he not know until now?

"Michael Oher acknowledged the Tuohy family were his 'legal conservators' in his 2011 memoir, despite now accusing the family of lying to him by having him sign papers making them his conservators rather than his adoptive parents."

Last edited:
So why the conservatorship and not adoption? Why also not ensure he gets some money from the movie?

My Brother in Chrysler Pacifica, hallowed be thy sliding rear doors, I am also a man of faith, but to tell a child he is signing papers to become a member of the family, when he actually wasn't, isn't exactly the teachings I follow.
Amen

The original point was pushing back on people who said “well they were already rich, there’s no reason for them to try to make a lot more money off the movie”

As you said, most rich people are egotistical and cut throat. So even thought they already had money they could still absolutely be driven enough to screw over someone for more money.

Lots of sarcasm and bitterness about greedy rich people here, so I inferred the adjective "evil". People say just because they were already rich doesn't mean they couldn't want to screw Michael and get more rich. You could also turn that around and say just because they were rich doesn't mean they couldn't have just seen a kid in need and wanted to help him.

I'm not defending these folks specifically - I don't know enough about their motivations to do so. I just think there seems to be a general public sentiment right now in the popular media that capitalism and greed are inherently bad and I think that is dumb. Greed is bad if it leads to unscrupulous behavior that hurts people in order to gain wealth. Greed can be good if it motivates one to build a company and provide goods and jobs and amass wealth which then in turn leads to philanthropy and more giving than all of the rest of us put together. Both types exist, of course, but I believe (hope?) that there is less of the former and more of the latter than the media would have you believe.

The original point was pushing back on people who said “well they were already rich, there’s no reason for them to try to make a lot more money off the movie”

As you said, most rich people are egotistical and cut throat. So even thought they already had money they could still absolutely be driven enough to screw over someone for more money.

Screwing someone over for more money is pretty classically evil

“Well, everyone knows that income inequality is bad. What my post presupposes is… maybe it isn’t?”

Greed can be good if it motivates one to build a company and provide goods and jobs and amass wealth which then in turn leads to philanthropy and more giving than all of the rest of us put together.
Have you ever considered that this sort of philanthropy would not be necessary if our society was set up in such a way that individuals were unable to exploit the lower class in order to amass massive individual wealth that they couldn’t spend in multiple lifetimes?

Greed can be good if it motivates one to build a company and provide goods and jobs and amass wealth which then in turn leads to philanthropy and more giving than all of the rest of us put together. Both types exist, of course, but I believe (hope?) that there is less of the former and more of the latter than the media would have you believe.
I've got some bad news for you Scooter.

“Well, everyone knows that income inequality is bad. What my post presupposes is… maybe it isn’t?”

I don’t know if this is aimed at me. You had just said that nobody technically called rich people evil, only cutthroat and willing to screw others over for money. That’s a distinction without a difference. Does it apply to some rich people yes; all of them, no; the Tuoys, we’ll see.

Viewing them as evil by definition because they’re rich is a valid viewpoint many hold, just not one I share. But I do believe they should be giving away their wealth for the benefit of others.

Scooter never watched the back half of Wall Street, clearly

I don’t know if this is aimed at me. You had just said that nobody technically called rich people evil, only cutthroat and willing to screw others over for money. That’s a distinction without a difference. Does it apply to some rich people yes; all of them, no; the Tuoys, we’ll see.

Viewing them as evil by definition because they’re rich is a valid viewpoint many hold, just not one I share. But I do believe they should be giving away their wealth for the benefit of others.
It was not aimed at you

Oh, sorry, I'll leave. I thought I was entering a WFU sports thread.

Based on the title, I figured it was a sports thread, maybe about college football. I figured the WFU connection would be revealed inside.

So how long after “Free Michael” does he start smoking meth and pole dancing?

Back