• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

“Inside WakeyLeaks” from The Athletic

Why did Ron Wellman allow someone whose career we had just ended to have such access to our plays?

Ron deserves much blame here. This was so forseeable. As he did with so many other aspects of our athletic department through the years, Ron's aloofness and inability to adapt to the changing landscape really put the Deacons in a horrible place.

There was much debate from some here about how great Wellman was. Then we kept losing and losing. The results speak for themsevles. We made a horrible decision to entrust our AD for 30 years to a Bowling Green U grad and washed up college baseball coach. At the end of the day, he wasn't very smart.

Why did Ron Wellman allow someone whose career we had just ended to have such access to our plays?

Ron deserves much blame here. This was so forseeable. As he did with so many other aspects of our athletic department through the years, Ron's aloofness and inability to adapt to the changing landscape really put the Deacons in a horrible place.

There was much debate from some here about how great Wellman was. Then we kept losing and losing. The results speak for themsevles. We made a horrible decision to entrust our AD for 30 years to a Bowling Green U grad and washed up college baseball coach. At the end of the day, he wasn't very smart.

I have no interest in being a Ron Wellman defender, but in order for this to be foreseeable you'd need to have a pretty low opinion of people/football coaches in general. It was a Wake Forest alum, who coached at Wake Forest, and was by all accounts well-liked and respected before this incident. And he went on to sabotage the kids he built relationships with coaching/recruiting and put them in literal harm's way. I wouldn't expect anyone to do that for the sole sake of revenge for feeling snubbed for a coaching job, and I'm not angry that Ron Wellman didn't expect that to happen either.

I questioned the issue here at the time. I said it was forseeable before it ever happened. I was dismissed once again.

There is a realtor named Thomas Elrod who advertises incessantly on Charlotte sports talk radio. I'm assuming not the same guy, but it pisses me off every time I hear his name in a commercial. That guy can eat a dick too for having the same name and reminding me daily. I hope the market crashes just so he loses everything.

I questioned the issue here at the time. I said it was forseeable before it ever happened. I was dismissed once again.

what, dude? you predicted elrod would steal plays from wake?

Show me a post where you questioned hiring Elrod as a radio broadcaster. This board was around during that time. Should be easy to find.

what, dude? you predicted elrod would steal plays from wake?

Not so extreme. What I said was it didn't make sense to have someone so close to the program, when we just ended his career. I didn't know how he could hurt us but it seemed like he could.

Afterwards, when I pointed to Wellman as bearing some responsibility, I was falsely called an Elrod defender. This was horrible what he did obviously. We were negligent here as well. All kinds of safeguards could have prevented this.

Yea, that was before it was noted that he got told he couldn't have a coaching job.

Not so extreme. What I said was it didn't make sense to have someone so close to the program, when we just ended his career. I didn't know how he could hurt us but it seemed like he could.

Afterwards, when I pointed to Wellman as bearing some responsibility, I was falsely called an Elrod defender. This was horrible what he did obviously. We were negligent here as well. All kinds of safeguards could have prevented this.

Really?

Let's be clear here. Before Elrod was exposed as working with opposing programs, no one suggested that it was a mistake to keep Elrod on as a radio announcer. BTW, IIRC, Elrod wasn't just kept on as a WF radio announcer, he held another job in the university as well.

DR ran to Elrod's defense after the WF staff figured out that Elrod was selling out the program (when they found their playbook at L'ville). The purported lame defense was that WF should have known that Elrod might scheme to hurt the WF football program after Clawson elected to not include him on the WF staff. Rather than blame the trangressor, Elrod, DR blamed WF for keeping Elrod around. So, for DR to claim that he "questioned the issue at the time" is a comical mischaracterization of the time line. Tom Elrod played football at WF (well, he was at least on the team), he coached at WF, and so, other than maybe a short coaching stint elsewhere, WF essentially coddled Elrod for more than a decade, may have been close to two decades.

Elrod's decision to turn on WF, and to try to hurt the football program, the coaches and the players was solely his. To try to blame anyone else for what Tom Elrod did to his alma mater, his employer and his football program is beyond stupid. Schools kick former assistant coaches, who have lost their value as an active coach, upstairs to other athletic department jobs all of the time. What Elrod did is unforgiveable and falls only on him. He is a clown. Anyone defending him is also a clown.

Last edited:
People dont get run out of town enough these days. This is a prime example of someone who should have been run out of town. Imagine a coach doing this pretty much anywhere else and they stay in town afterwards.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Well this thread has turned into a textbook example of cognitive dissonance in action.

Yea, that was before it was noted that he got told he couldn't have a coaching job.

So should Steve Forbes watch out for Randolph Childress giving other teams our plays? Because apparently we should watch out for any spurned assistant coaches and assume they are all spiteful cheaters.

Back