• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

“Inside WakeyLeaks” from The Athletic

I think it's unrelated. I think Clawson and Feldman have a good relationship(Clawson taught Feldman the slow mesh to use with his son's youth football team) and this was pitched to Clawson as a story of interest given his and Wake football's rise in the national conscience and a way to promote himself and Wake FB ahead of a season with big expectations.

I don't disagree that is probably how this all went down as far as why Clawson agreed to this and why it was picked up now again after a few years. I just think if everything about the program/school at this point was the same, only Hatch/Wellman were still in charge, I don't think this gets printed. I don't think Clawson was waiting for them to leave to say anything more about it, and the timing was probably just one of those things, but I feel reasonably confident in saying Hatch/Wellman would have tried to kill more of this coming out.

maybe that's the key to why Wake did not press a more serious investigation and a law suit

Wake intended to keep this quiet but a player mentioned it to a Prof who gave it to the media and you know the rest.

Davidson probably isn't a top 5 football team in Mecklenburg County.

Wake intended to keep this quiet but a player mentioned it to a Prof who gave it to the media and you know the rest.

Hadn't heard that before. I'm sure Wellman was trying to protect Elrod despite all this.

I think Clawson sees this as part of the origin story for the offense, so telling that story is part of hyping up the program.

Davidson probably isn't a top 5 football team in Mecklenburg County.

Given that Independence High is a shell of its former self, I think Davidson eeks in safely somewhere between UNCC and Butler.
I'll say it again: Davidson does very well at the level it choses to compete in; nothing more/less. If that's "shitty" in someone's opinion I won't argue with that, as we're looking at the state of college athletics and its place in the academic world from two different perspectives.

One thing i always thought was lost in this was how it could have affected coaches like Warren Ruggiero. He is an excellent offensive coordinator but if this had not been discovered he could have been fired for not getting it done. The impact it could have had on his coaching progress and family is significant.

my memory of the first news of this was Clawson saying something to the media, not the media reporting it

One thing i always thought was lost in this was how it could have affected coaches like Warren Ruggiero. He is an excellent offensive coordinator but if this had not been discovered he could have been fired for not getting it done. The impact it could have had on his coaching progress and family is significant.

Excellent point

This is a great point. I would also add, a TOTAL disregard for potentially contributing to the end of an 18-20 year old's career. Football is violent in and of itself. The other team knowing the plays can get someone seriously injured. Maybe even for life. I'd love to have a beer with Clawson and get the rest of this story. I have to believe he would have gone for the jugular, just knowing his personality, but the inept clown we called an AD prevented that. Maybe not. I'd still love to know why this was not pursued much further.

Last edited:
Given that Independence High is a shell of its former self, I think Davidson eeks in safely somewhere between UNCC and Butler.
I'll say it again: Davidson does very well at the level it choses to compete in; nothing more/less. If that's "shitty" in someone's opinion I won't argue with that, as we're looking at the state of college athletics and its place in the academic world from two different perspectives.

Chambers (formerly Vance) were state 4AA champs in 2019 and spring 2021 and runners up in fall 2021 and have won four straight Western Regional Championships, Mallard Creek (where Jordan Davis went to HS was 4AA state champs 2013-2015), Ardrey Kell, Hough, and Myers Park are all better than or basically even with Butler.

This is a great point. I would also add, a TOTAL disregard for potentially contributing to the end of an 18-20 year old's career. Football is violent in and of itself. The other team knowing the plays can get someone seriously injured. Maybe even for life. I'd love to have a beer with Clawson and get the rest of this story. I have to believe he would have gone for the jugular, just know his personality, but the inept clown we called an AD prevented that. Maybe not. I'd still love to know why this was not pursued much further.

2014 - 4 sacks allowed per game (#127 out of 127)
2015 - 3.33 sacks allowed per game (#117 out of 127)
2016 - 3.00 sacks allowed per game (#117 out of 128)
2017 - 1.54 sacks allowed per game (#32 out of 130)

I'd still love to know why this was not pursued much further.

Probably for all the reasons already mentioned: Elrod was already publicly shamed and fired, so no point in spending time and money to pursue charges or a lawsuit against him, especially when those proceedings wouldn't necessarily paint WF in a flattering light (not that WF did anything wrong, just that it's not exactly the kind of story that WF football probably wants to be primarily known for).

Chambers (formerly Vance) were state 4AA champs in 2019 and spring 2021 and runners up in fall 2021 and have won four straight Western Regional Championships, Mallard Creek (where Jordan Davis went to HS was 4AA state champs 2013-2015), Ardrey Kell, Hough, and Myers Park are all better than or basically even with Butler.

I had UNCC as tops, Vance next, then Davidson, Charlotte Catholic, Hough and Butler, hence my statement that Davidson is "somewhere between" UNCC and Butler. Myers Park has also had some decent teams as has Charlotte Latin when they have an elite QB. But one thing I hope you'd agree on, when it comes to Wildcats in Mecklenburg County, Davidson's are clearly superior to the Wildcats oat Garinger.

Back